Droid 2 Simultaneous Voice/Data

Khiraji

Reaction score
Hmmm. SVDO, hadn't heard of that before. Very interesting! Here's hoping Big Red is busily working behind the scenes on it.

D

dankarlinski

Is it really important to check your email while you are on the phone with someone? I had att for a few years, and I NEVER used the feature. Had no need to

From my Liberated Droid 2 (Liberty v 1.0)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I don't really think it's important either. Plus, I just don't see Verizon wasting money on this when they're working on rolling out LTE which can accomplish the same thing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to admit, its not an issue that really tops my list but there have been a few times where I was on the phone with a friend discussing what we wanted to do, somebody says "hey what about a movie? " so I go to check my movie times app. No can do.

It wouldn't be a game change or anything but it would be nice.

tappin and a talkin

OP
R
Reaction score
Is it really important to check your email while you are on the phone with someone? I had att for a few years, and I NEVER used the feature. Had no need to

Personally speaking, it's a big feature for me. Fortunately for me, I'm usually at home during phone calls, I just have wifi enabled and I can use data while on the phone. There have been quite a few times where I was on the phone, with no wifi around where I needed to use data while I was on the phone.

One example, I was on the phone with a friend of mine and I needed to use the GPS, I went to use the gps and the gps icon came up but google maps was blank...kind of useless. I had to hang up to find my way back home. Very annoying

jeagolf

Reaction score

No but if I am using the navigation feature and a call comes in, if I talk on the phone too long it looses the data connection and I loose my nav features. Driving along one day talking on the phone I missed my exit by 4 miles. :icon_evil: Now if I am using the navigation features I ignore phone calls.

Also having data and phone at the same time was a huge bonus for me when I had my iphone. sending a client a contact via text or via email, having them be able to confirm that they did get it with out having to hang up and call back is very nice. The same thing as well going the other way. Them sending me an email while talking and then I look it up and we have a discussion about it.

So yeah... I think the voice and data at the same time is important.

On a side note, it may be that very feature that causes so many dropped calls on ATT, and my switch to VZW. :icon_eek:

jeagolf

Reaction score

Personally speaking, it's a big feature for me. Fortunately for me, I'm usually at home during phone calls, I just have wifi enabled and I can use data while on the phone. There have been quite a few times where I was on the phone, with no wifi around where I needed to use data while I was on the phone.

One example, I was on the phone with a friend of mine and I needed to use the GPS, I went to use the gps and the gps icon came up but google maps was blank...kind of useless. I had to hang up to find my way back home. Very annoying

agree... sorry did not see your post or I would have simply agreed with you.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
If you have the newest google maps as long as you load the map before the call you can continue to use the navigation while on the call because with vectors it can load the whole route and keep it in the cache.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DJBlue

Reaction score
ALLOW ME TO CLEAR UP THIS ISSUE ONCE AND FOR ALL:

I am one on the contracted network tech engineers brought onboard to fix VZW's current issue. For those confused about the initial question let me clarify.

True 3G service is the ability for simultanious inbound and outbound traffic on your handset for voice, text, and data at once. Therefore on a 3G network (gsm for example) I could be on the phone with a field tech, using my bluetooth headset, while online with the phone accessing the web, and updating field report logs and tower array settings all at the same time. Currently not possible on verizons network, hence the impending lawsuit.

Now, that's only because verizon has chosen to be lazy and not turn that on. CDMA is capable of such true 3G connectivity, Sprint is proof of that. all of the smartphone handsets are capable of it, it is a matter of verizon reconfiguring their tower array traffic handling to do so. Problem is they are over satuarated because they oversold their major areas and didnt bother to keep up with increasing subscriber data needs hence the change in data plan costs, charging for hotspots, etc. Basically they are pulling an at&t.

Verizon has misrepresented themselves and their network for years as being 3G when in fact, as per the unified telecommunications global defined standards, they have never made it yet. According to our schedule the changes to the current platform (has nothing to do with lte)will be finished by end of 2011, so long as they dont bounce any more paychecks...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
R
Reaction score
ALLOW ME TO CLEAR UP THIS ISSUE ONCE AND FOR ALL:

I am one on the contracted network tech engineers brought onboard to fix VZW's current issue. For those confused about the initial question let me clarify.

True 3G service is the ability for simultanious inbound and outbound traffic on your handset for voice, text, and data at once. Therefore on a 3G network (gsm for example) I could be on the phone with a field tech, using my bluetooth headset, while online with the phone accessing the web, and updating field report logs and tower array settings all at the same time. Currently not possible on verizons network, hence the impending lawsuit.

Now, that's only because verizon has chosen to be lazy and not turn that on. CDMA is capable of such true 3G connectivity, Sprint is proof of that. all of the smartphone handsets are capable of it, it is a matter of verizon reconfiguring their tower array traffic handling to do so. Problem is they are over satuarated because they oversold their major areas and didnt bother to keep up with increasing subscriber data needs hence the change in data plan costs, charging for hotspots, etc. Basically they are pulling an at&t.

Verizon has misrepresented themselves and their network for years as being 3G when in fact, as per the unified telecommunications global defined standards, they have never made it yet. According to our schedule the changes to the current platform (has nothing to do with lte)will be finished by end of 2011, so long as they dont bounce any more paychecks...

So, DJBlue, to sum it all up, this requires no change at all on smartphones? Just on Verizon's cellular base stations, correct?

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you for the extremely informative post.

Last edited:

Khiraji

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the detailed response! That's great to know, but kind of unsettling that VZW is just being lazy instead of it being a technical limitation.

D

dankarlinski

Sprint is proof of that.

first of all, what sprint phone allows voice and data on 3g?

second of all, if you want to get technical, none of the current "4g" networks are really 4G based on the International Telecommunication Union... so, all 4 of them are lying if you want to get down and dirty about it..

tattoo12

Reaction score
I have the droid 2 global and am new to the droid. My cousin installed handcent and when a new text message pops up on the screen I hit reply and sometimes it goes to the message were I can reply and sometimes it doesn't. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong ?