Does apex make that much difference from stock?

dshoe

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at flashing a custom rom. I like apex but is it really necessary? I lost quite a few widgets I liked from stock and the keyboard which really bugs me. Is there a noticable performance difference? (I'm already overclocked) and does this rom save any battery life? The look is kind of cool but im very quickly thinking about switching back to my previous setup.

P.S. The apex wiki page is messed up bad. It's just a bunch of advertisement links.

xliderider

Reaction score
I never liked the stock notification bar so I've always run a theme, a custom rom, or both. If you have to ask us whether you should stay on a custom rom, then maybe the rom isn't for you. Try another one. RubiX has a Blurry rom, if you like the Blur widgets.

Konceptz804

Reaction score
Absolutely, I'm running a stock battery and the batter life is marginally better, both in standby and talk time. Its noticeable faster switching between apps, screens,menus, and i'm coming from a stock 1.35ghz overclock to the ApeX 1.4 with the same overclock, not to mention the memory management is better as well.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never liked the stock notification bar so I've always run a theme, a custom rom, or both. If you have to ask us whether you should stay on a custom rom, then maybe the rom isn't for you. Try another one. RubiX has a Blurry rom, if you like the Blur widgets.

I too never liked the stock bar. Even though I was staying with the light color because I was running the stock ROM, one of the first things I did after rooting was to go through the different ROM packages I have on my PC and getting the icons that I like from all and modify the Framework-res. Gives that subtle uniqueness throughout the phone even when on the stock ROM.

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
to the OP..
Apex from the Stock? well when running Apex, you have a device that doesn't have all the bloat as stock. the benifit? it becomes a much faster system, enough said basically..haha, this applies to any ROM of your chosing not just Apex.
if you haven't flash a Rom at this moment and you think your decive is fast then, once Apex is running on your phone then come back tell us what you think...

....with the apex toolbox now available in the ROM, there's alot more customization at your finger tips

as for battery life, this ultimately depends on your device. because not every device is the same....

OP
D

dshoe

Reaction score
Ok, im trying to stray away from blur as I want to use custom rims and its working well, I got the droid x mt keyboard on apex which is what I really wanted and I am really liking it now.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

dshoe

Reaction score
I have another question that I dont want to clog up for a new topic.
I ran a benchmark with both quadrant and smartbench with apex overclocked to 1.3ghz using milestone overclock and both times I scored UNDER the droid x score comparing. I didn't try this on stock but I'm tempted to restore back to see if there's a difference.

chazall1

Reaction score
You will notice the difference on the first boot. Night and day difference!

OP
D

dshoe

Reaction score
Definitely liking apex. I got the StickyNoteWidget.apk and its great. I havent even been overclocking, don't need to.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

timelord

Reaction score
Apex is blazing fast compared to stock. There's a clearly noticeable difference, be assured on that.

wooddale

Reaction score
Been so long since I been stock cant hardly remember I think gummy was first rom I flashed and it was faster than stock Im overclocked at 1.25 running fast the X will do 1.3 but eat a lot of battery and dont think its that uch faster Im on the net alot so like the bit of blur Thanks Fab I donated