data usage

mike02vr6

Reaction score
I was just trying to figure out if it would be worth it for me to run out and get a phone (thinking of buy an OG off of ebay and getting into the unlimited or just wait and get the $30/month plan. I have access to a computer so I wouldn't be streaming music all day, I think I would just mostly jump online while I am out to look stuff up, use it as a GPS and overall just keep busy while I am at work. What is some of the data that you guys go through and what do you do with your phones? (just kind of looking for an approximate I know I can't do any mathematical calculations)

Thanks

louy99

Reaction score
Im a very heavy user and I don't go anywhere near the 2g limit mainly because I have my phone on wifi anytime I can. I don't think gps uses data because my wife uses the gps on an old eris that isn't connected.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

xXGH05TXx

Reaction score
I do a lot of stuff. I use the unlimited data plan to the fullest so I can my moneys worth.

Heres what I do:
Pandora
Netflix
Craigslist
Ebay
GTunes
Youtube
TubeMate
Web Browsing
GPS
Google Maps
Games
GTalk

Plus more. It all comes down to how much u use it but I would snag it bcuz Verizon is gonna cut that on July 7th anyone who has it now is getting grandfathered in.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
If you don't need Unlimited Data, why get it?... I dunno, if you afford it, why not- never know if /when that WiFi will vanish (moving, can't afford it anymore, etc).

OP
mike02vr6

mike02vr6

Reaction score
cool thanks, I have 4G in most of the areas I am in and around, but I also have some pretty good wifi spots that on my laptop right now I am on one and its 54Mpbs so that seems to me thats its faster than 4G correct?

louy99

Reaction score
Verizon has an app so you can track your data usage. That will let you know if you really need that unlimited or not.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

xXGH05TXx

Reaction score
Yeah but that app is only worth it if he/she has a data plan. If its per use then he /she wont really know their real usage.

Sent from my rubiX Focused DX using DroidForums

IAm

Reaction score
If you don't need Unlimited Data, why get it?... I dunno, if you afford it, why not- never know if /when that WiFi will vanish (moving, can't afford it anymore, etc).

Why not get it? The unlimited data plan now is 30 dollars a month....from what I've read the cheapest data plan they'll offer is 2 gigs for 30 dollars....why would it be better to pay the same price for 2 gigs and not just go unlimited?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
mike02vr6

mike02vr6

Reaction score
because then I have to buy a phone off of ebay, so I can save my upgrade for the bionic.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dial #data to get a free text message with your current data usage. Its usually accurate within a day or so.

Sent from my fascinate

IAm

Reaction score
There's also a preloaded data usage widget on most android phones.

OP
mike02vr6

mike02vr6

Reaction score
I don't have a droid phone yet, my question was more of what do you guys do and how much data do you use? Sorry for the confusion.

IAm

Reaction score
I don't have a droid phone yet, my question was more of what do you guys do and how much data do you use? Sorry for the confusion.

As of this day if u get a smartphone from Verizon u have to get a unlimited data package, that cost 29.99 a month. If u wait till after this new absurd data plans go into effect then u will have to pay for at least the smallest data package (2 gb) which will be also be 29.99. So id say your best option would be to go head and sign that contract before the new plans go into effect. No offence to you old school of droid owners but I would strongly recommend u shop around for a newer phone, even the D2. There are several reasonably priced new phones with a 2 year contract. Btw I use around 10-14 gbs a month...mainly streaming music and video with no tethering.

-iD

Reaction score
I'm a super heavy user and download tons of roms, flashes, etc. News junkie and I use Gps which DOES need data to get the map tiles. My phone is on and busy 8+ hours a day active. Use wifi at work and home but stay online plenty on 3g too.

BUT I don't stream music or video and don't use my phone to do stupid things like torrent movies or PSP etc.

I've never topped 2g in a month. Basically if u don't stream and aren't trying to tether instead of paying for broadband at home you'll be fine with the base plan. Sounds like streaming will be more costly ...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk