data usage

Reaction score
+1 for PowerAmp, there is a free trial on the market. Best IMO hands down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SallyC

Reaction score
According to this article,

"Like AT&T did initially with its policy, Verizon also targets the top 5 percent of the heaviest data users. But the company uses network intelligence to only slow down those heavy data users when the network is actually congested.

The way it works is that if you use more than 2GB of data per month, Verizon is likely to identify you as being in the top 5 percent of data users. Once you've been identified as a heavy data user, when the cell site you are in gets congested, Verizon will slow down your access until the network is no longer so crowded.

Once the congestion has subsided or you move to a different cell site that isn't congested, your speed returns to normal. Depending on how congested the network is your service could be slowed for a few minutes or for several hours.

The policy only applies to customers with unlimited data plans on the 3G network. Verizon doesn't slow down data for 4G customers."

xtor

Reaction score
SallyC said:
According to this article,

"Like AT&T did initially with its policy, Verizon also targets the top 5 percent of the heaviest data users. But the company uses network intelligence to only slow down those heavy data users when the network is actually congested.

The way it works is that if you use more than 2GB of data per month, Verizon is likely to identify you as being in the top 5 percent of data users. Once you've been identified as a heavy data user, when the cell site you are in gets congested, Verizon will slow down your access until the network is no longer so crowded.

Once the congestion has subsided or you move to a different cell site that isn't congested, your speed returns to normal. Depending on how congested the network is your service could be slowed for a few minutes or for several hours.

The policy only applies to customers with unlimited data plans on the 3G network. Verizon doesn't slow down data for 4G customers."

Nice

point of origin

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
53 Gigs??? :icon_eek:

Just curious what you are streaming to use that much data?

xtor

Reaction score
MattyP said:
53 Gigs??? :icon_eek:

Just curious what you are streaming to use that much data?

214 episodes of stargate sg1, all ten seasons on netflix, took 2 months and about 60 gigs ,give or take, good thing I'm unlimited

point of origin

xtor

Reaction score
xtor said:
214 episodes of stargate sg1, all ten seasons on netflix, took 2 months and about 60 gigs ,give or take, good thing I'm unlimited

point of origin

Just started stargate Atlantis, it's only five seasons

point of origin

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Personally, I haven't seen any decrease in network speed since the ICS update.

I disagree with the article that going over 2GB of data will flag you as a heavy user in the top 5%. You have to go well over that, and well over the higher tiered plans that they offer, in order to even approach the top 5%. But even then, this only applies to 3G. It does not apply to 4G. Verizon doesn't throttle at all on 4G. 53GB in a month on 3G might get you flagged as being in the top 5%, but even then, you'll only be throttled when the network is congested. But again, that's only for 3G.

Something else to keep in mind is that as more and more Verizon customers in your area get LTE devices, the network speeds will slow down for everyone.

yesterdaywascool

Reaction score
I'm grandfathered in and have unlimited data. Well this morning I got an alert saying I have reached my data usage. I restarted my phone and same thing. I can get on the internet ever now and then but when the message pops up, it kills my internet. I looked on that verizon app to look at my data usage, has like however many KB I've used/unlimited. So it knows I'm unlimited.

How do I make it stop piping up and killing my internet? Like I said I've restarted it twice now.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I've seen this message before but it never dropped the data connection. How much data usage?

yesterdaywascool

Reaction score
Well I have an unlimited plan and this month I've used 5.08 Gigs hahaha. Streaming a bunch of netflix and watching football games on watchESPN app

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
They adding that setting with ICS.

If you go to Settings>Data Usage. There is a checkbox for Set Mobile Data Limit, you can turn that off.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
They adding that setting with ICS.

If you go to Settings>Data Usage. There is a checkbox for Set Mobile Data Limit, you can turn that off.

Sometimes it will come back on at around 5gigs... then if it won't stay off, just set your data limit to a very high amount... its what I do..

Sometimes it will stay off though... but not always.