Verizon Possibly charging data usage even on wifi???

William516

Reaction score
Just a quick question about getting a program that will monitor data usage when only the data over 3g and 4glte are used. The reason is that for some reason It SEEMS that I am getting charged or at least counted on data used over my own wifi network. I just took notice of this a few days ago. When I go home I connect to my wireless network so as not to use the network usage that verizon over charges for. Besides that fact that im on a unlimited plan when it REALLY meant that and not this crap that they came up with for all their new users. I figured it would be good to get used to managing my data so when they decide to screw over everyone I will know what im using and wont get charged out the @ss.

When i looked at my data usage I found that somehow i used 30mb without ever leaving the house. I also noticed that Verizon own data monitor app is using data that your being charged for and it counts against you. What a sneaky group of people. Atleast when you call them it doesnt count towards your charged minutes. I would encourage you all to view your data usage when connected to a WIFI network.

I'm going to try this while shutting down the DATA tab and see if it still draws the network. If it does on mine then it probably does on yours. If thats the case then maybe we all need to go after verizon for overcharging and falsly advertising their plan and product. It very well could be a class action law suit. Maybe it would send the message that we are tired of being lied too and screwed over in so many ways.

If a leak of 30mb a day over a period of one billing cycle = approx 900mb of data leaking, this does not include anything that you want to look at. Hopefully this is just an oversight on Verizons part. My WIFI at home is already through them so i should not be charged twice for data usage. However this is also the same company that decided to make a WIFI hotspot cost extra for no reason. Same thing as paying twice......so who knows.

I want to make sure that data is counted correctly, is there some way to test this theory or monitor each app for data usage. Please make sure and try for yourself if your a Verizon customer and let me know.

Thanks
Bill

please do not take this message as slander against verizon, or blaming them for anything. I'm simply questioning my charges for data usage and have possibly discovered a bug with billing on their half. They have had billing issues in the past so anything is possible. It may also be happening with other carriers / providers as well.

fly2hip8

Reaction score
Go into "my verizon." and it'll show actual data usage. Not including what you used on wifi. that little widget on ur phone counts everything. But, once u go into "my verizon," it'll update to what you actually used on verizons network.

OP
W

William516

Reaction score
Im actually using the my verizon widget and also the report online as well.

ambrown

Reaction score
I actually just posted this on another thread, but my experience has been that the my Verizon app isn't very accurate, at least not to the minute. Try "3G Watchdog", free on the market. It does a better job of giving you up do date and complete info on you usage. It can even alert you if you're close to going over your monthly plan. You have to tell it what your limit is but otherwise its as simple as that.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

Calla969

Reaction score
I've noticed that the 3g icon is almost always present, even when I'm on my wifi. As I type, 3g is not displayed, but I can't remember the last time that was the case. I wonder if some things are using 3g even though I am connected to wifi. Based on what the icons indicate, it seems that I'm using 3g and wifi simultaneously. Both are blue and appear to be active.

My 3g icon just lit up while typing this on my home wifi, but right now it's all white.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

fixy2273

Reaction score
Is there a way to completely turn 3G off when in a wifi network? I've noticed that when I wake my phone up from standby, it will start using 3G data for a bit before it switches over to wifi. I've been trying to find a way to toggle 3G off completely when I don't want it to kick on, but so far I haven't figured out how/if that is possible.

Another data related noob question: When GPS is on, does it use data?

pool_shark

Reaction score
Keep in mind that mms uses data not wifi. If you're on wifi and you send or receive an mms message, you will see the data icon appear along with the wifi icon.

ambrown

Reaction score
I've noticed that the 3g icon is almost always present, even when I'm on my wifi. As I type, 3g is not displayed, but I can't remember the last time that was the case. I wonder if some things are using 3g even though I am connected to wifi. Based on what the icons indicate, it seems that I'm using 3g and wifi simultaneously. Both are blue and appear to be active.

My 3g icon just lit up while typing this on my home wifi, but right now it's all white.

Yeah, turning on WiFi doesn't disable 3G, you have to do that separately. You can do it in the settings but I have a toggle widget that came preloaded with my phone that I have right next to a WiFi toggle so I can more seamlessly switch from one to the other. If you don't disable 3G/4G then you could possibly be using some data that way, though I don't know for sure. I just disable it to be sure at any rate.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

OP
W

William516

Reaction score
Keep in mind that mms uses data not wifi. If you're on wifi and you send or receive an mms message, you will see the data icon appear along with the wifi icon.

Hmm that would also make me think as well. Doesnt each plan have a seperate clause for mms. I mean if your getting knocked on your data cap for mms how can they then put unlimited mms on your contract, or even worse if people still have limited mms contracts. Does this mean that now we are being doubled up on that too?

I called verizon and opened a case and found some interesting things, some are false atleast for my phone but they did try and make some sense out of the data bleeding.

I talked to two reps before finaly getting one that understood anything about the network usage.

The first thing they said was that all preinstalled apps will used 3g/4g to communicate and wont function over wifi. Now that being said half the stuff on the phone are things i dont want or even need but cant get rid of without rooting and breaching the TOS. She stated that the phone is built with google apps that are meant to function over the 3g/4g network only and will not function properly over wifi. She continued to tell me that the market place can not be accessed or used over wifi as it is a built in function of the phone. While on the phone with the rep my usage climbed too just so you know.

She said that basic phone functions will not work with wifi and that wifi was a second thought on the motorola phone and that using it could make the phone function oddly or not at all. See the funny thing about this is that if motorola didnt want people to be able to control their data use then why make a build in mode for using wifi under data managment.

Their is even an option to get this "download marketplace apps only when connected to wifi" wow thats funny that i was told you cant do it. I also tested the theory and shut down all data to the phone, think is was found in data usage under settings. Then waited for the 3g/4g network lights to go out. Then hit the marketplace button and i was able to get on just fine.

I'm not sure what verizon or other cell companies are trying to pull but it seems that i got some people a little upset. Verizon allready locks features on the phone that are built in to it just to make sure you HAVE to buy their services, who is to know where or even if this will stop.

I encourage everyone to watch those meters closely and call your provider the second that it doesnt make sense. The worst thing that we can do to cell companies is actually be educated.

Now to find out where all these extra fees go to on my bill as well (LOL)

I will continue to update later and also will download the above mentioned program.

Bill

Calla969

Reaction score
I have the og Droid that is deactivated since I replaced it with the Bionic. I use it as a wifi device. I have no trouble using the market or any apps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

calebole

Reaction score
I'm one week into my contract with verizon, and I've burned through 0.8GB already. I don't understand because I've got wifi at home and work. Rarely use phone in car, or out and about.

How do I find out what is calling for data? I have no social sharing apps, no image sharing, etc. I can't figure it out. Glad to know others are seeing similar problems.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

meaker

Reaction score
I'm one week into my contract with verizon, and I've burned through 0.8GB already. I don't understand because I've got wifi at home and work. Rarely use phone in car, or out and about.

How do I find out what is calling for data? I have no social sharing apps, no image sharing, etc. I can't figure it out. Glad to know others are seeing similar problems.

Do you text a lot? Cause mms uses 3/4g instead of wifi even if you are on wifi..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tommyb38

Reaction score

Is it a brand new contract? New line? It is possible if that is the case that your data usage isn't calculating properly on that line. I have seen it in the past. You won't be charged overage, it is basing what your pro-rated amount is on your billing cycle and it screws up the usage indicator. Probably won't b accurate until the line is on the account for a full billing cycle.

pyroelite

Reaction score

Try My Data Manager... shows individual app usage.