Verizon Possibly charging data usage even on wifi???

i2CU

Reaction score
thee is something up with the minutes too

Hmm that would also make me think as well. Doesnt each plan have a seperate clause for mms. I mean if your getting knocked on your data cap for mms how can they then put unlimited mms on your contract, or even worse if people still have limited mms contracts. Does this mean that now we are being doubled up on that too?

I called verizon and opened a case and found some interesting things, some are false atleast for my phone but they did try and make some sense out of the data bleeding.

I talked to two reps before finaly getting one that understood anything about the network usage.

The first thing they said was that all preinstalled apps will used 3g/4g to communicate and wont function over wifi. Now that being said half the stuff on the phone are things i dont want or even need but cant get rid of without rooting and breaching the TOS. She stated that the phone is built with google apps that are meant to function over the 3g/4g network only and will not function properly over wifi. She continued to tell me that the market place can not be accessed or used over wifi as it is a built in function of the phone. While on the phone with the rep my usage climbed too just so you know.

She said that basic phone functions will not work with wifi and that wifi was a second thought on the motorola phone and that using it could make the phone function oddly or not at all. See the funny thing about this is that if motorola didnt want people to be able to control their data use then why make a build in mode for using wifi under data managment.

Their is even an option to get this "download marketplace apps only when connected to wifi" wow thats funny that i was told you cant do it. I also tested the theory and shut down all data to the phone, think is was found in data usage under settings. Then waited for the 3g/4g network lights to go out. Then hit the marketplace button and i was able to get on just fine.

I'm not sure what verizon or other cell companies are trying to pull but it seems that i got some people a little upset. Verizon allready locks features on the phone that are built in to it just to make sure you HAVE to buy their services, who is to know where or even if this will stop.

I encourage everyone to watch those meters closely and call your provider the second that it doesnt make sense. The worst thing that we can do to cell companies is actually be educated.

Now to find out where all these extra fees go to on my bill as well (LOL)

I will continue to update later and also will download the above mentioned program.

Bill

I totally agree... it appears that something unfair and funky is going on...

sigh... again anything to make money seems to dictate these days... Where is the "Give the customer our best service" anymore???

I have also noticed that my Driod is not responding to the touches... anyone have any suggestions? And does anyone know how to see your minutes used so you an verify the Verizon claims?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The first thing they said was that all preinstalled apps will used 3g/4g to communicate and wont function over wifi.

This is not true. Preinstalled apps work fine over WiFi. Be careful what a rep tells you because they may be telling you something that has you using more data when you need to.

She stated that the phone is built with google apps that are meant to function over the 3g/4g network only and will not function properly over wifi.

Again, not entirely true. It used to be that all phones needed 3g or 4g for maps, navigation to work but that is no longer the case. Most new phones have standalone WiFi which enables you to use maps/navigation without data. It is actually many of Verizon's apps that will only work over data and not work over WiFi but not true for Google apps.

She continued to tell me that the market place can not be accessed or used over wifi as it is a built in function of the phone. While on the phone with the rep my usage climbed too just so you know.

Their is even an option to get this "download marketplace apps only when connected to wifi" wow thats funny that i was told you cant do it. I also tested the theory and shut down all data to the phone, think is was found in data usage under settings. Then waited for the 3g/4g network lights to go out. Then hit the marketplace button and i was able to get on just fine.

Good investigative work, Bill. Yes, Google play works perfectly fine over WiFi including Google putting the option to download only over WiFi to help save data usage.

She said that basic phone functions will not work with wifi and that wifi was a second thought on the motorola phone and that using it could make the phone function oddly or not at all. See the funny thing about this is that if motorola didnt want people to be able to control their data use then why make a build in mode for using wifi under data managment.

This rep is batting a thousand, lol. Motorola has had the WiFi option on their Android since the og droid...don't think it was an after thought. Phone call functions use a separate radio solely for voice and text... no data needed. The only thing that does not work over WiFi is pictured texts and some Verizon apps. When I have my WiFi on, I turn my data off. The only reason I turn it on is if I need to open a picture text (mms) or send one. When on WiFi, never have to turn data on for anything else.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try My Data Manager... shows individual app usage.

Good suggestion. I ending up deleting an app that I never use, but was at the top in data usage.

I can see how the Verizon rep could get the idea about apps not working on WiFi, but still be in the wrong. I don't have WiFi at home, but know of places where I can get it if needed. And here's the thing; if I go to McDonald's and tap into their "free" AT&T WiFi, I get a network error if I try the Play Store, search or even Speed Test. Not so at the public library or at my friend's house with a passworded WiFi system. I'm guessing that not all WiFi is equal and if you went to McDonald's you'd agree with the rep...until you went to another place.