d1 owner - time to upgrade?

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea I'm also holding out for the next batch of big phones that will be coming out at years end. So far nothing has impressed me enough to get rid of my d1. When I first heard about the droid, I followed all the news on it until it was released and it blew me away. No other device I've used since has been able to blow me away. But I look forward to being swept off my feet at the end of the year dancedroid

OP
OB1J3D1

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
To wait or not to wait...

I'm leaning towards waiting at this point. I agree with most of you, my D1 is a great device and nothing being offered at this point really screams "BUY ME!".

Then again, when will I have this opportunity again? If I get to keep my upgrade which isn't even up yet, no harm no foul.

If i do it should I go X or 2?

everstar80

Reaction score
Thing about rumors are that you never know when they'll come to pass. May be january or next november. Take advantage of the opportunity now. I strongly recommend the droid 2 but pick the phone that's right for you.

xpezdj

Reaction score
I wouldn't upgrade until LTE imo, still got my d1 going strong as long as I can ignore that ridiculous headphone jack..

OP
OB1J3D1

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
Fascinated!

I took the plunge and got a Fascinate.

What a difference a year makes. Last year the D1 was probably the best android on the planet. And although it still does the job, the Fascinate does it faster, brighter, thinner, lighter etc.

I went to the VZ store full on expecting to be put on a wait list for the X. Played with the X, 2 and fascinate for like an hour or more and came to the conclusion that no matter what the reviews, benchmarks, numbers say... If you don't like the device in your hand, you won't like the experience.

For me (personal opinion) the X was too big, too clumsy, too angular. The D1 although very masculine, had a great design. The X not so much. The 2 was too much like the phone I already had. Sorry Moto, I got a Korean in my pocket now. And although the Fascinate may not be as masculine as my droid 1, she sure is sexy!

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I've been a D1 owner since January, and can't see upgrading in the forseeable future - at least until something comes along that's light years ahead of the D1, not just these little increments. I just don't get people who need a new phone every six months...

jmed99

Reaction score
Keep your upgrade alive by buying the Droid X (if that's your current favorite) off of ebay and sell your D1 on ebay. You'll lose a couple hundred that way but you can sell your DX on ebay when the iphone comes to Verizon in Jan for a couple hundred and break even. And you'll have your upgrade when/if the iphone comes to Verizon.

I'm thinking about doing this same thing. Sounds like the best idea to me....Am I missing anything?

noordzy77

Reaction score
Keep your upgrade alive by buying the Droid X (if that's your current favorite) off of ebay and sell your D1 on ebay. You'll lose a couple hundred that way but you can sell your DX on ebay when the iphone comes to Verizon in Jan for a couple hundred and break even. And you'll have your upgrade when/if the iphone comes to Verizon.

I'm thinking about doing this same thing. Sounds like the best idea to me....Am I missing anything?

1. The Iphone has been coming to Verizon in January for the last 2 years.... and then in April.... and then in September...
2. Most people consider the D1 superior to iphone. I prefer not to have Steve Jobs tell me how I have to use my phone.

OP
OB1J3D1

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
I didn't have to upgrade, I wanted to help my sis out doing a BOGO deal on the Fascinate. I used another upgrade that was sitting on my family plan since 2006.

To be honest, I was perfectly happy with my D1. But, now that I have the Fascinate, I doubt I'll be reactivating the D1. :)

OP
OB1J3D1

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
Looks like the rumored iPhone drop and the Verizon tiered data adjustments will be happening at the same time. Just like with the iPhone 4 drop.

FYI...

1. The Iphone has been coming to Verizon in January for the last 2 years.... and then in April.... and then in September...
2. Most people consider the D1 superior to iphone. I prefer not to have Steve Jobs tell me how I have to use my phone.