Current Verizon Subscribers Get To Keep Their Unlimited Data Plan Afterall?

shiggityx2

Reaction score
Fact is no one knows for sure. Its all fine and good for reps and agent and people at the stores to say they wone differenciate between 3g and 4g data, but as well all know those people are notoriously wrong about a lot of stuff. We dont know if Verizon will consider someone going from 3g to 4g a plan change. Thast what I need to know.

Fact is until Verizon themselves release something offical clearly stating wheather or not switching to a 4g device from a 3g one constitutes a "plan" change or not or someone actually does it, this is all talk unfourtanatly.

Id really like to know before the 7th though, becasue if they do decide to put people on tiered for switching from 3g to 4g I have a decision to make.

I'm in the same boat and nobody seems to know the answer to this. I was hoping to use my upgrade discount for the Bionic but I might just get the Charge now to lock into 4G, just in case. I would leave Verizon entirely but I'm on a family plan and they have no intent on switching. Bleh.

captain howdy

Reaction score
Seems to me, that for us that have the unlimited package should keep getting unlimited data until our contracts expire. Otherwise would not they be breaching a contract?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

loki993

Reaction score

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)

Hopefully this clears this question up for good.

That is, if it is TRUE.

Exactly. Thats why without hearing official confirmation or clarification from Verizon themselves or someone actually does it its all hearsay. Im not talking reps or peopel that work at the stores or call center agents, I mean an actual announcement from Verizon coperate.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)

That is, if it is TRUE.

Exactly. Thats why without hearing official confirmation or clarification from Verizon themselves or someone actually does it its all hearsay. Im not talking reps or peopel that work at the stores or call center agents, I mean an actual announcement from Verizon coperate.

I just got back from Verizon and the rep said the exact same thing so if you have an unlimited plan and you want to upgrade, you'll be fine.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The issue some bought up in the other thread is does it mean from a 3G to a 4G phone too, or only 3G to 3G?

4G is listed as unlimited right now too so it shouldn't matter. Unlimited is unlimited, right....?

Beka27

Reaction score
Beka, I do not have an extra charge for my extra lines to share minutes. The $10/month is for the line/number itself. I don't pay $10 for the line and $10 to have that line on my shared family account. It's a flat $10 + taxes and fees per month. My moms line has international calling for family and hers is $18 and my dads is plain Jane feature phone for $10. Not including taxes and fees.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

You're right. I probably should have worded my post better.

Do your family members have their own minute allotments or do they share yours? They probably share yours, and that's why the main account holder doesn't get charged the $10 "line fee", only the additional people (who are sharing your minutes) get charged. So both ways you look at it, they are paying $10 to get in on your minutes, whether we call it a "shared minutes fee" or a "line fee" or a "number fee". Otherwise you could have (family plan limits aside) a hundred people sharing your 2000 minute plan for free...

I was curious to see the wording on my bill, and sure enough the $10 fee IS for sharing minutes. My "portion" of the bill is listed first, then my husband's:

Nationwide Talk & Text FS 1400 05/27 - 06/26 $110.00

Nationwide Talk & Text FS 1400 Add'l Line 05/27 - 06/26 $9.99

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
my thoughts on Verizon's plans

Wait so do we get to keep our unlimited forever or just until we upgrade. When you say grandfathered does that not mean you get to keep it forever? This seems like you are not grandfathered at all if you are saying that you keep it until you buy a new phone.

I am only concerned about 3G and 4G. If I have a 3G phone on unlimited and I cannot upgrade until August 8th I have to get tiered pricing or I can I go from unlimited 3G to unlimited 4G?

So frustrating to see all these dumb changes.

That's the term she used. "Grandfathered in" until you upgrade.

Clearly there seems to be some confusion centered around being grandfathered into our current unlimited data plans. If I'm a carrier, it wouldn't make since for me to let the current customers especially the ones who have been using the data illegally be grandfathered into the unlimited data plans. Now if Verizon has plans to weed out those abusive subscribers, then Verizon allowing current subscribers to keep their unlimited plans would seem more plausible.

So in this case being grandfathered into something simply means that the carrier won't force us to change the terms of the current contract or expired contracts until we start a new 2 year agreement.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

That is, if it is TRUE.

I just got back from Verizon and the rep said the exact same thing so if you have an unlimited plan and you want to upgrade, you'll be fine.

I'm not against tethering of any sort, but against those who abuse it and tether too much.

I truly hope that's what Verizon is planning to do with regards to allowing current subscribers who upgrade to keep their unlimited data plans. Although it doesn't benefit them to allow the abusive subscribers who tether too much to keep unlimited plans. Maybe they will throttle those subscribers, which would still make the data unlimited because they aren't capping them.

Reaction score
Couldn't they just implement a guideline that says any user over a certain amount of GB/month average for their contract must change to the new plans?

For most people, Verizon would be able to see 1-3GB/month usage and those users would keep their Unlimited Plan. If a user has been exceeding that average over the course of one or two years, then they must change to a tiered plan.

Is that possible?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The issue some bought up in the other thread is does it mean from a 3G to a 4G phone too, or only 3G to 3G?

4G is listed as unlimited right now too so it shouldn't matter. Unlimited is unlimited, right....?

I'm hoping for this!

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm not against tethering of any sort, but against those who abuse it and tether too much.

I truly hope that's what Verizon is planning to do with regards to allowing current subscribers who upgrade to keep their unlimited data plans. Although it doesn't benefit them to allow the abusive subscribers who tether too much to keep unlimited plans. Maybe they will throttle those subscribers, which would still make the data unlimited because they aren't capping them.

Those people will probably be throttled or caught if done illegally. But the rep I spoke with was very confident that we'd be grandfathered into unlimited data even if you upgraded so I'm sure this applies if you went from 3G to 4G.

porsche996

Reaction score
Thank goodness. That was my only concern with the tiered plans; that I'd be forced to sign up for one when I renewed my contract and/or upgraded my phone with a contract renewal.

It's pretty common at renewal time for them to try to talk you into getting into whatever their newest, latest & greatest plan is, so I welcome that fun conversation, but as long as I have the option to keep what I have, then I'm good to go.