Contract expires soon, but phones I want are 6 months away

jacobbones

Reaction score
So I have a bit of a problem. My current 2 year contract with verizon expires in the middle of may.

I was waiting, hoping that the bionic would release before that but its delayed til the fall from what I see.

When I renew the contract I may as well get a new phone as they will be discounted. I have found that if I renew through target or walmart I can get the Droid X for free with renewal of my contract.

Im wondering, if say I renew today and upgrade to a Droid phone and get the renewal discounts. Then say 6 months from now when the new droids or other phones start coming out. Can i buy the bionic then and renew the contract again at that time and get the phone at the 2 year renewal price instead of full retail?

I really dont want to buy a phone now if the next generation of phones are going to be out soon. But since my contract runs out I dont have much choice but to renew now

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
So I have a bit of a problem. My current 2 year contract with verizon expires in the middle of may.

I was waiting, hoping that the bionic would release before that but its delayed til the fall from what I see.

When I renew the contract I may as well get a new phone as they will be discounted. I have found that if I renew through target or walmart I can get the Droid X for free with renewal of my contract.

Im wondering, if say I renew today and upgrade to a Droid phone and get the renewal discounts. Then say 6 months from now when the new droids or other phones start coming out. Can i buy the bionic then and renew the contract again at that time and get the phone at the 2 year renewal price instead of full retail?

I really dont want to buy a phone now if the next generation of phones are going to be out soon. But since my contract runs out I dont have much choice but to renew now

In my opinion, I would just get the Thunderbolt depending on if you live in a 4G accessible area.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
You can continue your service month to month after your contract is up before you commit to another contract. Just keep paying that bill until you want to re-sign.

Now if you sign a new contract now, you cannot upgrade/sign a new contract for 20 months. That would be great if we could, but they would never make any money if they allowed that.

Sent from the hand of zeus!

OP
J

jacobbones

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know that it would go into a month to month thing. I thought it would just auto-renew.

harrellj

Reaction score
I can confirm it goes month to month when the contract expires. My previous one had expired in September of 09 but I didn't renew it until I bought the OG Droid on release day (November).

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

patfactorx

Reaction score
re-up on a Droid 2 Global. It's ownzorz and actually faster than the T-bolt over Wifi

sandfreak

Reaction score
I'm actually in the same situation I've been eligible to upgrade since February but haven't found a device that I must have yet.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Man, I woulda re-upped on the Droid 2 quick-like like several months ago, but now that I hear there's a droid 3 on the horizon, I'm standing by.

OP
J

jacobbones

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Im going to hold off for now until the new stuff starts coming out.

leonozug

Reaction score
I've been able to upgrade since September '10. STILL holding out to upgrade. I bought a Droid X on Ebay to tide me over till a really good phone comes out. Just be patient!!

Beka27

Reaction score
I've been able to upgrade since September '10. STILL holding out to upgrade. I bought a Droid X on Ebay to tide me over till a really good phone comes out. Just be patient!!

That is another option too... you can purchase a used phone in good condition and use that until you're ready to upgrade later this summer.

As soon as your contract expires they are going to start hounding you to upgrade. Stand firm, and don't let a "good deal" sway you if that is not the phone you want.

loki993

Reaction score

That is another option too... you can purchase a used phone in good condition and use that until you're ready to upgrade later this summer.

As soon as your contract expires they are going to start hounding you to upgrade. Stand firm, and don't let a "good deal" sway you if that is not the phone you want.

Yeah, just get something used off contract and wait to see what comes next, thats what Im doing.

Last edited:

Detonation

Reaction score

I'm on a 4 person family plan where 3 lines are month to month and mine is eligible for my last annual upgrade. I can't go a conversation with Verizon without them pointing that out at least once or twice haha. But I am still waiting on something worthy of replacing my Droid X. So far nothing is that much better.