Friend wants a Droid, but...

LTech221

Reaction score
Thanks:biggrin:, great community here, but what I meant to say was when I emailed them a last month I got it. I wasn't even close to an upgrade at that time nearly 15 months away. I literally just told them, I hate my phone it sucks, now its broken in half (not true) and I got the obligatory, were happy to inform you that you qualify for a free upgrade :icon_ banana:

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Thanks:biggrin:, great community here, but what I meant to say was when I emailed them a last month I got it. I wasn't even close to an upgrade at that time nearly 15 months away. I literally just told them, I hate my phone it sucks, now its broken in half (not true) and I got the obligatory, were happy to inform you that you qualify for a free upgrade :icon_ banana:

awesome outcome for ya!

gruve

Reaction score
ForumPolice.jpg

OP
bristolcat

bristolcat

Reaction score
Just have her dial *611 and talk to the verizon customer support make sure that they know she wants a replacement the second she calls and that shes frustrated with the phone she bought since it never works right and drops calls all the time, they will say they cant do anything have her ask if she can upgrade to a droid at the current price of the droid if they say no due to the fact that her upgrade isnt due yet, she needs to demand to speak with a supervisor because she needs to get the droid and is sick and tired of her phone acting up, they will put her on hold for a little while and than come back on the phone and say she has been approved for an early pre-approval and can now go and get the new droid and voila! :icon_ banana: like i said did it about 4 times now never an issue but she needs to be sincere/ and sinister :icon_evil: at the same time.

Thanks, great community here, but what I meant to say was when I emailed them a last month I got it. I wasn't even close to an upgrade at that time nearly 15 months away. I literally just told them, I hate my phone it sucks, now its broken in half (not true) and I got the obligatory, were happy to inform you that you qualify for a free upgrade

Thanks for the advice! I don't think she's afraid to try this and we will see what happens. My question is, how far do you have to go? Do you really have to say it's broken in half? What do you do with the existing phone if they do authorize you for an upgrade? Can you sell it or will it be locked? If she decides to go with the Droid Eris and gets a good price for her existing phone on eBay or whatever, she could actually come out ahead by my calculations. That seems...too good to be true.

bowhuntr09

Reaction score
I have now tried the "contact us" route as I do have 2 phones that have issues. One turns off by itself and the other wont hold charge and is on its second OEM battery. Maybe they will help, if not I may just hold off until the last one is done and at a minimum get them all on the same replacement schedule and at best give me some bargaining power to move carriers.

LTech221

Reaction score
I don't think it will be locked. When they gave me the upgrade, I just went to the Verizon store, and they just told me to make sure my old phone (Moto Krave) was off, so the Droid could be updated to my account. I had a far easier time dealing with email based support, rather than phone or in-store. All they do is change the ESN on your account so you should be able to use the old phone still. Just say your generally displeased with it and see if they bite.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Just have her dial *611 and talk to the verizon customer support make sure that they know she wants a replacement the second she calls and that shes frustrated with the phone she bought since it never works right and drops calls all the time, they will say they cant do anything have her ask if she can upgrade to a droid at the current price of the droid if they say no due to the fact that her upgrade isnt due yet, she needs to demand to speak with a supervisor because she needs to get the droid and is sick and tired of her phone acting up, they will put her on hold for a little while and than come back on the phone and say she has been approved for an early pre-approval and can now go and get the new droid and voila! :icon_ banana: like i said did it about 4 times now never an issue but she needs to be sincere/ and sinister :icon_evil: at the same time.

Thanks, great community here, but what I meant to say was when I emailed them a last month I got it. I wasn't even close to an upgrade at that time nearly 15 months away. I literally just told them, I hate my phone it sucks, now its broken in half (not true) and I got the obligatory, were happy to inform you that you qualify for a free upgrade

Thanks for the advice! I don't think she's afraid to try this and we will see what happens. My question is, how far do you have to go? Do you really have to say it's broken in half? What do you do with the existing phone if they do authorize you for an upgrade? Can you sell it or will it be locked? If she decides to go with the Droid Eris and gets a good price for her existing phone on eBay or whatever, she could actually come out ahead by my calculations. That seems...too good to be true.

Dont need to say broken in half lol thats kind of unbelievable and they may just send you a new model of the phone and expect the other model back the route of saying it constantly drops calls and shuts down on its own is pretty key and works every time at least for me and a few other friends i gave the advice to :)

crystal18lynn

Reaction score
some verison stores allow a "trade in" if the phone is in good condition and everything works, some times they let you trade it for a new one and take somthing off the cost of new droid. good luck:motdroidvert:

xythil

Reaction score
Wow ...I just used my upgrade to get an LG Env Touch in october...

But I wanted a droid so I went into the store and they eventually offered me 1 year renewl pricing...

Did I get hosed? Should I have held out for 2 year pricing? I paid 300 bucks for my droid but I am still within my 30 days... what should I do?

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

But I wanted a droid so I went into the store and they eventually offered me 1 year renewl pricing...

Did I get hosed? Should I have held out for 2 year pricing? I paid 300 bucks for my droid but I am still within my 30 days... what should I do?

I believe you got hosed my friend enough finegling (however u spell it) and you could have easily gotten the 2 year pricing they gotcha!

JP 5.56

Reaction score
You must not have said the right words, or gotten the lady drunk on the phone like jp did. Just gotta talk with attitude and sincerity (if thats a word) at the same time and request to speak with a supervisor if they give u any problems they wont want to lose ur business esp not over 11 days thats a cake walk.
Yeah you just gotta be firm with them (remain respectful) but don't be fearful of saying that you will take your money elsewhere. (edit to add - this does not work so well when you have a long time left on your contract - when you have a longer time you have to go the device does not work route, or the Wild Turkey Method)

I go to the device isnt working method every time works like a charm :) its almost like I can do it in my sleep these days ;) can you get service reps drunk in your sleep jp? lol
Most of them can get drunk by themselves.

xythil

Reaction score

I believe you got hosed my friend enough finegling (however u spell it) and you could have easily gotten the 2 year pricing they gotcha!

So should I return it?

I mean 2 year pricing is only like 100 bucks cheaper right? Not a huge deal? Or would I have been able to get it for like 50 bucks?

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

So should I return it?

I mean 2 year pricing is only like 100 bucks cheaper right? Not a huge deal? Or would I have been able to get it for like 50 bucks?

Yeah guess ur right its only a 100 dollar diff. no point in returning it and trying to go through the hassle of it all again just to save that 100 bux.

xythil

Reaction score

So should I return it?

Yeah guess ur right its only a 100 dollar diff. no point in returning it and trying to go through the hassle of it all again just to save that 100 bux.

heck it is more like 70 bucks

im guessing i couldnt get it for the 50 buck price its being advertised for?