Friend wants a Droid, but...

bristolcat

Reaction score
...she just renewed her contract with Verizon in December and got a new LG Envy. She's got serious smartphone envy now, however, and I would love to help her out. Is there any way that Verizon would give her a discount on the phone for upgrading her plan to a data plan? Would an online retailer be a better way to go? If those options won't work, where can you point me for good tips/tricks on how to buy a used phone off of eBay or Craigslist? Any idea how much she could sell her new-ish Envy for? Thanks!!

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
...she just renewed her contract with Verizon in December and got a new LG Envy. She's got serious smartphone envy now, however, and I would love to help her out. Is there any way that Verizon would give her a discount on the phone for upgrading her plan to a data plan? Would an online retailer be a better way to go? If those options won't work, where can you point me for good tips/tricks on how to buy a used phone off of eBay or Craigslist? Any idea how much she could sell her new-ish Envy for? Thanks!!

Honestly her best bet is to do what i did for myself, my fiance, my bro and my mom. Did it for myself the week before droid was launched so i can get it on launch day and than just about 3 weeks ago for the others i did it with no issues and my bros contract wasnt due for a while.

Just have her dial *611 and talk to the verizon customer support make sure that they know she wants a replacement the second she calls and that shes frustrated with the phone she bought since it never works right and drops calls all the time, they will say they cant do anything have her ask if she can upgrade to a droid at the current price of the droid if they say no due to the fact that her upgrade isnt due yet, she needs to demand to speak with a supervisor because she needs to get the droid and is sick and tired of her phone acting up, they will put her on hold for a little while and than come back on the phone and say she has been approved for an early pre-approval and can now go and get the new droid and voila! :icon_ banana: like i said did it about 4 times now never an issue but she needs to be sincere/ and sinister :icon_evil: at the same time.

Good luck.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I just sweet talked a verizon girl until she gave me an early upgrade, didn't even have to ask for it.

LTech221

Reaction score
I just emailed cs on their contact us and they gave me an early upgrade to the droid :icon_ banana:

bowhuntr09

Reaction score
I'm due for a new phone in 11 days and I had no luck trying this just yesterday. Not even a measly 11 days....

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I'm due for a new phone in 11 days and I had no luck trying this just yesterday. Not even a measly 11 days....
That is stupid. I would have pulled out my "going to ATT then" guns and see what they had to say.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

You must not have said the right words, or gotten the lady drunk on the phone like jp did. Just gotta talk with attitude and sincerity (if thats a word) at the same time and request to speak with a supervisor if they give u any problems they wont want to lose ur business esp not over 11 days thats a cake walk.

JP 5.56

Reaction score

You must not have said the right words, or gotten the lady drunk on the phone like jp did. Just gotta talk with attitude and sincerity (if thats a word) at the same time and request to speak with a supervisor if they give u any problems they wont want to lose ur business esp not over 11 days thats a cake walk.
Yeah you just gotta be firm with them (remain respectful) but don't be fearful of saying that you will take your money elsewhere. (edit to add - this does not work so well when you have a long time left on your contract - when you have a longer time you have to go the device does not work route, or the Wild Turkey Method)

gruve

Reaction score
With 11 days until your contract/new phone is up, they should override it. They want to secure you for another 2 years. Generally they will upgrade you even if you have 30 days.

bowhuntr09

Reaction score
I have 3 phones on a FP and they all expire at different times so I cant realistically move to AT&T. Maybe I was too nice.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

Yeah you just gotta be firm with them (remain respectful) but don't be fearful of saying that you will take your money elsewhere. (edit to add - this does not work so well when you have a long time left on your contract - when you have a longer time you have to go the device does not work route, or the Wild Turkey Method)

I go to the device isnt working method every time works like a charm :) its almost like I can do it in my sleep these days ;) can you get service reps drunk in your sleep jp? lol