Is the Bionic worth $119 ?

cebosound

Reaction score
It seems like it wasn't too long ago when I was seriously considering the Droid Bionic for my next phone. ..... THen the Razr came out, now we are on the brink of having the GNex available; and the focus switches to the new phones. ... but with the new RazrMax being leaked, among other new phones in the rumor mill, it seems like we could all end up waiting and waiting for the next best phone so we don't feel like we got ript by renewing our contract only to find out our phone is already outdated. ...That game could be tiresome. (and by the time you waited that long, we may be up for the next renewal lol)

So this brings me to my question in the subject. "Is the bionic worth $119" , considering where we are with verizon phone options at this time. Wirefly has the Bionic at renewal price of $119. Price is a concern of mine these days. It seems like this is a good deal, and a solid phone. I am sure in a couple of years I can get the next greatest (quad core, 18mp camera, 1920HD screen, etc... lol) .. but this phone could be a decent option til then.

Will the bionic get the Ice Cream Sandwich update eventually?
Are the 4G dropping issues going to be resolved? (more of a verizon issue?)
How do you current Bionic owners like your phones these days?

Thanks Guys. :)

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I believe I've read that the Bionic will get ICS, sometime early in 2012 according to Moto.
Not sure of the 4g dropping issues being resolved or not
I'm not a Bionic owner:p

I certainly think it's worth $119. From what I've demo'd it's a great phone; nice display, 4g, nice size to it, and it's pretty darn fast. Comes with a replaceable battery as well.

As for quad core phones, I wouldn't worry about it too much, don't really see it taking off next year. I believe ICS was developed to optimize the use of dualcore, so quadcore shouldn't be a problem.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
I believe I've read that the Bionic will get ICS, sometime early in 2012 according to Moto.
Not sure of the 4g dropping issues being resolved or not
I'm not a Bionic owner:p

I certainly think it's worth $119. From what I've demo'd it's a great phone; nice display, 4g, nice size to it, and it's pretty darn fast. Comes with a replaceable battery as well.

As for quad core phones, I wouldn't worry about it too much, don't really see it taking off next year. I believe ICS was developed to optimize the use of dualcore, so quadcore shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks dezymond for your input. You may be right on the dual core. I think ICS will help the Bionic be even quicker.

Yes it is.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
Thanks for chiming in gthotie5.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
In regards to waiting for the next best thing I will quote a proverb from a very wise one. (Actually I made it up) :biggrin:

"He who chases technology has full pockets and empty hands"

I had the RAZR and did not like it. Took it back and got the Bionic. Much better. Yeah some may consider that a step backwards but not for me. I personally think it is a good deal at the $199 the VZW has it for now. So $119 is even better. The Bionic is a sweet device. Nice display and plenty fast enough to tackle anything you throw at it. It does have it quirks. But most phones that come out do at first. Look at all the issues the Droid X had after the GB update. But once they got the bugs worked out it was smooth sailing. And I have no doubts that it will be running ICS and is fully capable of doing so.

One word of advice though. Read the fine print and all of the stipulations behind that $119. price. Alot of these 3rd party resellers require you to have a certain plan (usually one of the most expensive) as well as other things in order to get it for that price. They gotta make up the difference somewhere.

stikss

Reaction score
I just got the Bionic myself and i'm very pleased so far. I haven't noticed any issues at all.... actually this phone has picked up 4G where my Charge hasn't so i would say the issues are resolved. I myself wanted the GN but the Bionic is scheduled for ICS very soon so with that..this phone will be just as good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

markwebb

Reaction score
Absolutely worth it! I have had mine 8 days now without issues except for battery life but after some conditioning and common sense (shut off as much as possible) it is much better. Camera is not important to me but camera fx pro is a big improvement. You can also see the screen in daylight.
Root it and install theory ROM purity: the phone flies!!!
No regrets on my end.

stikss

Reaction score
Do you have the link for that ROM? Im debating on rooting but im not sure i wanna do it with ICS on the way.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I bought mine day one and love it enough to say that I'm not even jealous of the price drop! And, rooting and all of the th3ory ROM teams work will make the decision to pull the trigger all the more appetizing. !!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

markwebb

Reaction score
Thanks.

Just make sure after you root to install bionic bootstrap or safestrap and make a backup of your stock phone before flashing any roms!!

onebigunion

Reaction score
Absolutely worth that price. Not familiar with wirefly or what their return policies are. IMO this is a phone that should be capable for the length of time until you are eligible for an upgrade again. To me only this phone, the rezound, and possibly the razr and DROID 3 fit that bill. The upcoming nexus and droid 4 should as well.

Knowpig

Reaction score
It's funny that I saw your post. I was just thinking about how we all whine about how much a new phone is. Lol. I was running a D1 with the DroidMod eclair ROM for a year and a half. Never even bothered to jump ship to get froyo. Then I got onboard with liquid 2.6 and it was awesome. Then I dropped that poor OG Droid one too many times and I lost the display. The touch works but no display. So I found another D1 mint for $50. Then I found a broken D2 I scored for free. Better still, the D2 had a few days of warranty left so I activated it and got a refurbished unit for free. So now my liquid D2 kicks the living crap out of my still perfect D1. It's just awesome.
So I started to really think about what my phone does, what I use it for, and all that it can do. Then I started thinking about the new razor and the nexus, etc. Even for $250 these new phones are worth it. It's very nearly a laptop in your hand. And the 4g speed is ridiculous.
If you can score a bionic for $119 and not get small printed to death, then you are for surebl headed in the right direction.
The bionic is pretty bad ass. And if Motorola doesn't fix the software, someone on xda will. :)
It will only get better.

Posted with my thought to text Liquid Droid2.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. THis is just the type of info I was looking for. I can read specs, compare prices, watch reviews....... its also nice to hear from people that have used the Bionic.

I will defo check the fine print on the deal. :)