Clarification about 2.1: Everyone read

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKyle22

Reaction score
To those of you saying you will unroot to get 2.1 and then reroot: THINK AGAIN. The exploit that allowed us to root our phones was patched DAYS after it was discovered. The reason we can still root our phones is because Moto/VZW never pushed an OTA update of the "fixed" 2.0.1.

Therefore, the exploit is NOT there in 2.1. So you will NOT be able to reroot.

Sorry for the excessive formatting but I saw at least 30 posts saying that they'll unroot, try it, and then reroot.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would guess that it would be a different exploit for root on the N1 vs. the Droid....I bet their completely different root exploits...

But, yeah it will be fixed whenever we get it....they're not gonna send it out rooted are they? No.....that's why the devs have to figure out the new exploit...

Spectral

Reaction score
2.1 is already rooted. It was rooted even before the Nexus was released.

2.1 on the Nexus was rooted. 2.1 on the Droid is not going to be the same.

People just need to be patient. Give it a day or 2 after a Dev. gets a hold of Droid 2.1 and rooted droids can have a Stock ROOTED 2.1 and then they will mod it from there.

r-dubya

Reaction score
Again, this is why i will not unroot. I will just paitiantly wait for the guys over at sholes, or BB to exploit the new version, then install the ROM of my choice.

This phone continues to get better every day :icon_ banana:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have seen (in a few sources) that the Nexus 1 can NOT be unrooted once it is rooted. Anyone know if this is the case? Not that I had any plans of unrooting for the OTA but it might be good for others to know if that is the case.

R1Lover

Reaction score
After hearing of what the 2.1 update contains and more importantly "what it's missing" I'm not going to update to it... I'm sticking with Sholes and I'm sure anything 2.1 has that we don't will be included in a future update from sholes. After using sholes for a while now, I can't find a reason to ever go back to a verizon Rom.

shademar

Reaction score
I have seen (in a few sources) that the Nexus 1 can NOT be unrooted once it is rooted. Anyone know if this is the case? Not that I had any plans of unrooting for the OTA but it might be good for others to know if that is the case.

Still looks to be true, check out the dev thread re the N1 bootlocker at xda:
Relocking your Bootloader - xda-developers

Also check out:
*OFFICIAL* HTC Eris Root Status thread - Android Forums

and note that, despite very good people working on it, the Eris is still not rooted. And it was released at the same time as the droid.

I'm not sure the people thinking it'll be rooted in a day or two are being terribly realistic. :icon_eek:

lovekmats

Reaction score
I just have a quick question, if I don't unroot when I get 2.1, superuserpermissions is still going to be in my phone, right? It'll just be a useless app in my phone? And the only way to get rid of it (meaning the icon) is by unrooting now? because I've read before some people unrooted and superuser permissions was still there.. :( sorry if this is a dumb question.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
This brings up another interesting scenario... So if 2.1 comes out and is NOT rootable what will new/refurbished Droid be 'flashed' with from the factory... it would REALLY suck if someone had to exchange/replace their phone and the replacement had an unrootable ROM...

Be about the same as if root can't be reversed... you would NOT be able to exchange the phone for warranty or insurance... you'd essentially have to drop it in the toilet and hope they don't (or can't) pull the ROM info once they get it at the reconditioning facility.

Last edited:

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
While everyones optimism of "2 days and they'll have 2.1 hacked/rooted" might be unrealistic... I just don't see it NOT HAPPENING AT ALL as some claim. Hell, if the Iphone can be jailbroken with as anal as they are... no phone is truly safe from hacking.

00bear

Reaction score
that would suck i have a lot plans for my phone ,all this what if ..he said she said s killing me today

r-dubya

Reaction score
This brings up another interesting scenario... So if 2.1 comes out and is NOT rootable what will new/refurbished Droid be 'flashed' with from the factory... it would REALLY suck if someone had to exchange/replace their phone and the replacement had an unrootable ROM...

Be about the same as if root can't be reversed... you would NOT be able to exchange the phone for warranty or insurance... you'd essentially have to drop it in the toilet and hope they don't (or can't) pull the ROM info once they get it at the reconditioning facility.

Hell, Just say it was stolen... problem fixed. Now to address the problem of speculation...

zero7starz

Reaction score
Couldn't you basically do it the same way as rooting a G1 and downgrade to 2.0.1 (after having had 2.1) and then reroot? I don't see why you couldn't RE-LOAD the old version in order to root. Just make a 2.0.1 backup before updating, if you don't like it, install update and go back! Should be just as easy... right guys? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.