Upcoming OTA updates & Root exploit

rwking

Reaction score
There's some noise over at XDA forums about a bunch of people working on checking the Moto update servers and coming across what appear to be update patches that are intended for release soon. According to one poster (xda-developers - View Single Post - *Bootloader Unlock Research* Cheesecake Clarification), he flashed the update they discovered and soon found out it zaps the root exploit that we've all been using. Now he's got a brand new stock Bionic that is not yet rootable. o_O I think in order to stay rooted, I'm going to ignore the next OTA update until some developers have a go at it.

Additionally, does anyone know if there are any updates on unlocking the bootloader?

OP
rwking

rwking

Reaction score
Popular thread, I see.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

drunkmonkey79

Reaction score
Rooted and OTA

Will I still be able to receive OTA updates if I'm rooted and deleted some of the bloatware off my phone? I thought this was only an issue if I used a ROM.

They already have leaked versions of the new Google Music and some other apps out for IceCream Sandwich.

OP
rwking

rwking

Reaction score
Will I still be able to receive OTA updates if I'm rooted and deleted some of the bloatware off my phone? I thought this was only an issue if I used a ROM.

They already have leaked versions of the new Google Music and some other apps out for IceCream Sandwich.

I'm not sure if there is an answer to that one yet. But from what I've read, the devs are going to be all over it, so it probably won't be long before it's safe to apply the update.

dags5000

Reaction score
What usually happens is devs wil often use the new build and apply their customizations on it and release an updated rom. On my original droid i never once applied a ota update

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums