Verizon Galaxy S4 VRUAME7 Rooted, but No Bootloader Exploit

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s4-root1.jpg

Verizon was quick to patch the Root method and Loki Bootloader bypass on their variant of the Galaxy S4. The mod community was also quick to band together for a common goal, regaining control of the device they bought. They quickly raised a large bounty for a root method and also for a bootloader unlock. Pretty quickly a new root method was released. Credit for the exploit goes to DooMLoRD and PWM978.

Before you read any further I would like to say that I would only suggest this method for those who accidentally accepted the OTA to VRUAME7, or those who have already updated. This method will root the latest OTA update, but there is no viable way of installing a custom recovery so in my opinion you would still be up a creek. I imagine the method would come quickly with the bounty now being over $3000 maybe this will draw a developer to the project that wouldn't ordinarily work with Verizon devices. Head to the source link below for the full guide by Open1your1eyes0.

Via XDA

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure why VZW is still so difficult now that most people are on limited plans (I always assumed they were primarily trying to defeat unlicensed tethering). That leaves warranty, primarily, but I'd be surprised if that is significant since the developer community is so strong and supportive (i.e. it's not hard to figure out how to recover from a soft brick). Heck, it's possible the developer community has SAVED Verizon money by offering quick fixes to problems people would otherwise return their devices for (i.e. Galaxy Nexus).

Maybe the bloatware revenues are driving this, as in they are trying to give VZW a haircut so long as people can root and remove the bloatware.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Dumb question time with your host, Dusty....

If I went out and purchased a Verizon S4 right now what version OS would it have? The old rootable one and it tries to update immediately upon power up? Or the newer version that is freshly locked?

Just wondering.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure why VZW is still so difficult now that most people are on limited plans (I always assumed they were primarily trying to defeat unlicensed tethering). That leaves warranty, primarily, but I'd be surprised if that is significant since the developer community is so strong and supportive (i.e. it's not hard to figure out how to recover from a soft brick). Heck, it's possible the developer community has SAVED Verizon money by offering quick fixes to problems people would otherwise return their devices for (i.e. Galaxy Nexus).

Maybe the bloatware revenues are driving this, as in they are trying to give VZW a haircut so long as people can root and remove the bloatware.

Its almost enough to make me switch to another carrier. I will stay with Verizon as long as im allowed to keep my unlimited data plan. When they try to take it away i will switch

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Its almost enough to make me switch to another carrier. I will stay with Verizon as long as im allowed to keep my unlimited data plan. When they try to take it away i will switch

Ehh, I might consider that but with travel VZW is really the only practical option.

Also, I think rooting/flashing is much less an issue these days. I ran my Rezound with the stock Sense for over 6 months with no problems. The Android updates, at this point, are pretty marginal. The bloatware is easily out-of-sight, out-of-mind. I don't even anticipate upgrading my phone for another year or two.

I sympathize with your feelings, but I don't feel anyone else has national service on par with VZW to make leaving viable.

chris79

Reaction score
I just upgraded from a HTC Rezound last weekend. While the Verizon rep took it out of the box, he said that they have to make sure it gets the latest update or it can't leave the store.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I own the S3 and S4, the S3 is rooted and unlocked, but that happened 6 months after I owned the device, and the S3 did benefit from the root, the S4 even though it is stock, it flies compared to the S3 which is rooted, I run nova Launcher on both, Nova Launcher is much smoother and faster than Samsung Touch Whiz, it's like a whole different phone, people who are new to android do not know all the possibilities they have at their disposal. For the people crying about not able to root the S4, I myself don't see a need, the device is buttery smooth as it is, and from my playing around with a boat load of Roms, they all have their issues, which many times just take away the joy of Roming. At the moment the best ROM I have flashed on my S3 has been AOKP, but it also has its issues, like certain apps not working right.
[video=youtube;yY_gMBPMhw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY_gMBPMhw0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Yup, contract is up in Dec. I definitely will not be signing my life away to Big Red again. Month to month sounds about right.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just upgraded from a HTC Rezound last weekend. While the Verizon rep took it out of the box, he said that they have to make sure it gets the latest update or it can't leave the store.

Well then I would try another store!

Raptor007

Reaction score
I just got my 32GB GS4 today from Fed Ex and it arrived with ME7 on it. yet when I tried to get my phone at the store on Thursday night and the rep sold me "accidentally" a 16GB by mistake it came with the MDK release. I didn't realize the error until I got home, then had to return it, now waiting on a refund and got stuck ordering online. They claim no one asks for 32GB version, but I find that hard to believe given how little space their is on the 16GB.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It occurs to me that - because the feds seem to recognize our right to root/unlock our devices - that VZW issuing an update that breaks that ability is, in effect, a warranty claim. Would be interesting to see them get sued over this. Certainly I think a jury might find them liable.