Cellular South Milestone/Droid

jrhampton

Reaction score
I'd never used the voicedialer app before. That's interesting and will use that in the future. Anyhow, it opened the APN list and one for Verizon was there. Only one listed. I can add a new one, and save it. I enter all the info and hit save, and the screen clears and it doesn't add CS apn to the list. Twice I only added a new one and only entered Name and APN type and it would save it. But everytime I entered all shown info, it wouldn't save at all, or if I was editing the previous save that was successful it would then (delete?) that save and show nothing. I even tried to edit the Verizon APN with CS info, once I hit save, the entire list cleared and now it currently shows nothing. Weird. Does something possibly need to be granted superuser access?

Update: I slowly changed one thing at a time to the Verizon APN. After each change I'd save it and check if it was still in the list. Each time it is. When I edited the mcc and mnc and saved, the file disappears again!

Last edited:

awmartin

Reaction score
I'd never used the voicedialer app before. That's interesting and will use that in the future. Anyhow, it opened the APN list and one for Verizon was there. Only one listed. I can add a new one, and save it. I enter all the info and hit save, and the screen clears and it doesn't add CS apn to the list. Twice I only added a new one and only entered Name and APN type and it would save it. But everytime I entered all shown info, it wouldn't save at all, or if I was editing the previous save that was successful it would then (delete?) that save and show nothing. I even tried to edit the Verizon APN with CS info, once I hit save, the entire list cleared and now it currently shows nothing. Weird. Does something possibly need to be granted superuser access?

Update: I slowly changed one thing at a time to the Verizon APN. After each change I'd save it and check if it was still in the list. Each time it is. When I edited the mcc and mnc and saved, the file disappears again!

Ok, after a little digging, this is what I found. You can try this to see if this works...

Make your APN and don't change MNC and MCC values(save). Make your APN default. Edit APN again and change MNC and MCC(save).
APN will disappear but after reboot data will work!!!

Please let me know if that works for you or not.

.: Edit :.
Ok, I posted the above without trying it first, it didn't appear to work for me though, so I tried a few other things and I think I might have got it, but need someone to test it out for me since I really don't have my milestone to test with since it is out of commission since the radio got flashed to the Verizon Radio... Anyway, here is what I did on my Verizon Droid that is now an A854/A853.

adb shell

su <-----(this should give you a # instead of a $, if not, make sure you have given terminal/adb superuser permission)
sysrw <-----(if this command does not work use: mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system )
cd etc
mv apns-conf.xml apns-conf.bak
cp ../../sdcard/apns-conf_1.xml apns-conf.xml
sysro <-----(if this command does not work use: mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system )
sync
reboot

After Reboot, use Voice Dialer and say "Open APNs", Click Open APNs and voila, Cellular South should be listed above Verizon. Click on the green button by Cellular South and then hit the Home button back out. If it don't work the first time, you might try to reboot your phone just to see if that fixes it since it isn't checked by default.

Like I said, my Milestone is in for repair so I have no official way of knowing if this actually works or not. I did notice that when you edit the APN it don't have the exact values in place for the MCC and MNC so I'm not sure if this is going to work or not but it is worth a try IMO.

Last edited:

jrhampton

Reaction score
Lol damn. On my first attempt, after earlier trying your previous post (I hadn't been back and saw you'd updated) and rebooted my list was still empty. Tried your revision and still nothing is listed. Tried to send a pic anyway... nope. I'm kinda beyond frustration and probably into acceptance that I may never get to send, but only receive.

If you have your milestone in hand and know of the commands or how to be able for me to copy my radio, I'd gladly post it on here for everywhere or even email it to you.

keets

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a Milestone A854 from Bluegrass Cellular. It came loaded with 2.1. It's currently rooted with Universal Androot.

Kernal Version 2.6.29-omap1
Build number Miler_X1_00.26.0

I've been taking it slow and just doing research. I've been reading up on using Rom Manager and such, but would like if anyone could give me some feedback on if they know of anything special that may be required. Oh, and if you know of any resources that I could look at, that would be awesome. I've been reading up a storm.

Thanks in advance.

jrhampton

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a Milestone A854 from Bluegrass Cellular. It came loaded with 2.1. It's currently rooted with Universal Androot.

Kernal Version 2.6.29-omap1
Build number Miler_X1_00.26.0

I've been taking it slow and just doing research. I've been reading up on using Rom Manager and such, but would like if anyone could give me some feedback on if they know of anything special that may be required. Oh, and if you know of any resources that I could look at, that would be awesome. I've been reading up a storm.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback on what exactly? Required to DO what?

keets

Reaction score
Sorry. I'm wanting to try loading a few of the android 2.2 custom roms eventually. My gut tells me that the process will not be much different than if I was on Cellular South but I just want to cover the bases.

If I'm gonna screw up my phone, I wanna make sure that it won't be over a stupid mistake. lol :laugh:

awmartin

Reaction score
Sorry. I'm wanting to try loading a few of the android 2.2 custom roms eventually. My gut tells me that the process will not be much different than if I was on Cellular South but I just want to cover the bases.

If I'm gonna screw up my phone, I wanna make sure that it won't be over a stupid mistake. lol :laugh:

I hear you there, I have one huge warning for you:

DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING VERIZON RELATED TO YOUR MILESTONE!

I had read that warning and knew better, however, I still decided to flash the Baseband Radio update and totally screwed up my Milestone and had to pay the price to send it back to Motorola to fix it, however, I think I came up with a fix that would have worked, after the fact.

As for ROM Flashing, everything seems to work fine with the exception of Sending MMS Messages. As you can tell from this post, we have been working and trying to figure out a work around, but are not having much luck. I have read a couple other post that might have a solution, but still nothing that I have tried has really seemed to do the job. Other than that, everything else is the same.

I would recommend ROM Manager Premium as it has some really nice features for doing backups and managing your backups, I can't really say that I have downloaded a lot of ROM's from there because the ROM that I am currently on, Ultimate Droid 1.0.0, isn't currently updated in ROM Manager, but Cyanogen works great through there and so do a bunch others.

Good Luck!

jrhampton

Reaction score
changing ROMs is easy but not sure if you realize you can only run one ROM at a time. Each is different as per their creators and look and feel differently but all have the same purpose. I've tried CM6, was running Bugless Beast v0.4 for a long while, and just recently discovered why I am (stuck) liking Sapphire 1.1.1 (i'll wait for 1.1.4 till it's official with gapps) What I like most about Sapphire is I ride a sportsbike and like to listen to my headphones. While the screen is off and in my pocket, all I have to hold the up/down volume button for a moment to switch songs. Just use Rom Manager to make a backup. Then, using Rom Manager still since it's easiest, download and install new ROM. If you're currently using 2.1 and going to 2.2 make sure you check the "wipe data and cache" box. If you haven't made a backup by this point, leave the "create backup" box checked and it'll do it then prior to installing new ROM. Just leave it alone after that. Process takes maybe 10 minutes. Sign back in to google and redownload your apps if wiped. I believe I've seen bluegrass listed in their apn files so you shouldn't have the same problem of your MMS not working.

::edit::
Oh and awmartin is right. Don't flash anything you see regarding baseband radios. They're Verizon specific and as of this moment, it's a big headache to correct that problem.

Last edited:

keets

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I believe I read about the band band radio warning in another thread. I'll keep a look out and stay away. All and all, I'm really enjoying this phone and look forward to playing around with it some more.

jrhampton

Reaction score
I also suggest doing a processor overclock. I know the Bugless Beast comes with it set to 800mhz and runs noticeably faster. Not sure which others come preloaded to. I'm currently using a Chevys 1.0ghz kernel normal voltage. Also do apps2sd. Use Rom Manager to partition for it. be sure to backup your sd card to your pc before doing it. After both of these, the phone runs pretty quick and smooth.

awmartin

Reaction score
Lol damn. On my first attempt, after earlier trying your previous post (I hadn't been back and saw you'd updated) and rebooted my list was still empty. Tried your revision and still nothing is listed. Tried to send a pic anyway... nope. I'm kinda beyond frustration and probably into acceptance that I may never get to send, but only receive.

If you have your milestone in hand and know of the commands or how to be able for me to copy my radio, I'd gladly post it on here for everywhere or even email it to you.

So even after you renamed the original apns-conf.xml file and copied the apns-conf_1.xml file to the etc folder you still do not see CS listed in there? I have tried this with my Nex-Tech Wireless carrier and it worked (see attached) However, I do not know for sure since my Milestone is actually in for repair and I actually had flashed the CS .sbf file to my old Verizon Droid and I don't actually have service on it, I am just using it for WiFi.

snap20101025_134144.png

Also, I did notice that when i look at the settings for the Nex-Tech Wireless APN the MMC and MNC values don't match what they are in the XML file, but I didn't change that and it stayed in there. I really wish I had my milestone back so I could test this with you and see if it works for my carrier, but, regardless, it should still show in the list. I will try it with the CS APN file and let you know what results I come up with.

jrhampton

Reaction score
Correct. I look in the etc folder and postively the previous apn file was renamed *.bak and the CS apn is now named appropriately. But alas, it doesn't show up in the apn list. Not sure if it's pertinent, but I'm using Sapphire ROM. If I switch back to the stock image that I saved, it shows up and MMS works fine.

awmartin

Reaction score
Correct. I look in the etc folder and postively the previous apn file was renamed *.bak and the CS apn is now named appropriately. But alas, it doesn't show up in the apn list. Not sure if it's pertinent, but I'm using Sapphire ROM. If I switch back to the stock image that I saved, it shows up and MMS works fine.

OK, I just followed my steps and when I rebooted and looked in the APNs my Nex-Tech Wireless was still in there but not Cellular South, so I must have done something else before I did that to get it to stick. I'll investigate just a little more and let you know.

awmartin

Reaction score

OK, you had said that you tried my previous post of:

Make your APN and don't change MNC and MCC values(save). Make your APN default. (click the circle next to it) Edit APN again and change MNC and MCC(save).
APN will disappear but after reboot data will work!!!

and said that it didn't show up in the list still, but, did you try to send an MMS since that is ultimately what we are trying to accomplish here? It may not be listed in your APN's but you might be able to send MMS??? Might be worth a try. I feel like we are beating our heads into a stone wall here, but there has to be a way for this to work.

I have also read something about changing something in a System.rc file, but have not found much on that.

jrhampton

Reaction score
Alright still no success. Tried a few times. Then tried switching roms to Simply Stunning 4.8 (it's actually pretty nice) and switched to his lv 1.1ghz kernel (just for fun) and tried again this morning. Still nothing.