Cellular South Milestone/Droid

Navalynt

Reaction score
I can confirm that the SBF for Milestone A854 (Droid for other carriers) DOES indeed work to flash over a Verizon Droid A855. I'm running it right now :) Just had to take a razor and scratch off the Verizon logo to complete the illusion.

The big problem is that the flash file is generic so you also need to know all the intimate details of the network so you can use CDMA Workshop or QPST to program the phone after flashing. It's not an easy task and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are intimately familiar with CDMA programming for your network and have at least some basic experience with QPST.

Also, please, don't even bother asking me for the SBF file because it's not something I'm at liberty to share. I'm willing to share information from my own personal testing but not proprietary files.

Athero

Reaction score
I can confirm that the SBF for Milestone A854 (Droid for other carriers) DOES indeed work to flash over a Verizon Droid A855. I'm running it right now :) Just had to take a razor and scratch off the Verizon logo to complete the illusion.

The big problem is that the flash file is generic so you also need to know all the intimate details of the network so you can use CDMA Workshop or QPST to program the phone after flashing. It's not an easy task and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are intimately familiar with CDMA programming for your network and have at least some basic experience with QPST.

Also, please, don't even bother asking me for the SBF file because it's not something I'm at liberty to share. I'm willing to share information from my own personal testing but not proprietary files.

I have plenty of experience with QPST/QXDM and CDMA Workshop, and I understand USCC's EVDO authentication and MMS. Therefore you can understand my eagerness to find the Cellular South SBF after getting nowhere with the locked down Verizon baseband. Should you have a change of heart, feel free to PM me.

lmapp

Reaction score
Thanks MSMITH198025 for the redirect to this post. I'm wanting to switch to CS but don't want to be stuck with 2.1 . I'm running a rooted ver of FRG01B and it's trouble-free. I would really like to flash my Droid to CS, but that seems kind of impossible for now.

Athero

Reaction score
Thanks MSMITH198025 for the redirect to this post. I'm wanting to switch to CS but don't want to be stuck with 2.1 . I'm running a rooted ver of FRG01B and it's trouble-free. I would really like to flash my Droid to CS, but that seems kind of impossible for now.

Its a two part process. You would need to flash the CS radio to your droid and then manage to get CS to activate it. I activated a Droid on US Cellular even though people told me it was impossible, you just need to keep trying.

lmapp

Reaction score
As I can get some relief on my ETF, I'm not totally opposed to buying new hardware. That said, it's gets back to the age-old question: Do I buy current/old technology (which I already have so I know it works), or do I wait for the new thing (HTC Desire).

Either way, this is a pretty good dilemma to have with Cellular South.

OP
M

msmith198025

Reaction score
As I can get some relief on my ETF, I'm not totally opposed to buying new hardware. That said, it's gets back to the age-old question: Do I buy current/old technology (which I already have so I know it works), or do I wait for the new thing (HTC Desire).

Either way, this is a pretty good dilemma to have with Cellular South.

And the Galaxy is coming soon as well

lmapp

Reaction score
So is anyone using the CS Milestone a former Verizon Droid user? Is the difference pretty much transparent?

bradms98

Reaction score
Its a two part process. You would need to flash the CS radio to your droid and then manage to get CS to activate it. I activated a Droid on US Cellular even though people told me it was impossible, you just need to keep trying.

Do you have a link to instructions on flashing the Cellular South radio to the device?

I have a Cell South Milestone, but have managed to not take the advice of this thread, and it's now attempting to activate to the Verizon network.

NotThatGuy

Reaction score
Also, you will need to add a custom apns-conf.xml file to /system/etc/ or an apns.xml file to /system/etc/customer/ in order to enable MMS on any third-party ROMs. You may want to check for and pull these files from your stock ROM before you start messing with custom ROMs.

Can you elaborate just a touch so my MMS will work again? :)

ranjur

Reaction score
I too am interested in getting the radio for Cellular South's Milestone--not because I'm coming from Verizon, but the opposite in fact. A friend accidentally flashed his Milestone's radio to Verizon, and now we're looking to correct this. Does the radio have to be from the same phone or could do you think I could pull the radio from my Hero for instance?

awmartin

Reaction score
Also, you will need to add a custom apns-conf.xml file to /system/etc/ or an apns.xml file to /system/etc/customer/ in order to enable MMS on any third-party ROMs. You may want to check for and pull these files from your stock ROM before you start messing with custom ROMs.

Who is your carrier? Is it Cellular South? I am no pro here, but I was able to go through my original Nandroid Backup of my Milestone A854 and find all of the different apns-conf.xml files that were needed. If you are CS, let me know and I can get you the apns-conf.xml file for them and then what you will have to do is copy that file to your SD Card and run a few commands either in Terminal or using ADB Shell and viola! You should be good. Like I said, let me know if you are CS and I would be glad to help!

Here, let me just put it out here. This link is the apns-conf_1.xml file that you will need to save to your SD Card. You need to right click and save link as... to save it to your computer otherwise it will just try to open the xml file in your browser.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10350495/apns-conf_1.xml

Once that is saved to your phones SD card make sure you turn off file sharing and then using either Terminal or ADB Shell (Same thing) enter these commands below:

su <-----(this should give you a # instead of a $, if not, make sure you have given terminal/adb superuser permission)
sysrw <-----(if this command does not work use: mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system )
cp sdcard/apns-conf_1.xml etc/apns-conf_1.xml
sysro <-----(if this command does not work use: mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system )
sync
reboot

Please let me know if you have troubles and I will sure try to help.

Last edited:

awmartin

Reaction score
I too am interested in getting the radio for Cellular South's Milestone--not because I'm coming from Verizon, but the opposite in fact. A friend accidentally flashed his Milestone's radio to Verizon, and now we're looking to correct this. Does the radio have to be from the same phone or could do you think I could pull the radio from my Hero for instance?

MILER_X1_00260_MILER_CDMA_BP_0.sbf

This link is from this post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...73996-cellular-south-milestone-droid-sbf.html

jrhampton

Reaction score

Who is your carrier? Is it Cellular South? I am no pro here, but I was able to go through my original Nandroid Backup of my Milestone A854 and find all of the different apns-conf.xml files that were needed. If you are CS, let me know and I can get you the apns-conf.xml file for them and then what you will have to do is copy that file to your SD Card and run a few commands either in Terminal or using ADB Shell and viola! You should be good. Like I said, let me know if you are CS and I would be glad to help!

Here, let me just put it out here. This link is the apns-conf_1.xml file that you will need to save to your SD Card. You need to right click and save link as... to save it to your computer otherwise it will just try to open the xml file in your browser.

Once that is saved to your phones SD card make sure you turn off file sharing and then using either Terminal or ADB Shell (Same thing) enter these commands below:

su <-----(this should give you a # instead of a $, if not, make sure you have given terminal/adb superuser permission)
sysrw <-----(if this command does not work use: mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system )
sysro <-----(if this command does not work use: mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system )
sync
reboot

I am a lifelong CS customer and was having the same issue with my MMS. Running Sapphire v1.1.1 and tried to copy/paste and modify the apn file through Astro to no avail, but hadn't come across the terminal commands. As far as correcting my issue with accedintely also changing to the Verizon radio and not getting anywhere on my own, I played the "stupid card" with CS and they warrantied it out for me and never picked up on it was my fault. I was never billed for it. If I knew the appropriate commands for terminal or ADB I'd upload the c_02.05.004 radio for other milestone users who made the same mistake as me to fix their problem without running the risk of being charged for a new phone. As of this moment I ran the commands you listed and it successfully copied the same file you listed. I'd already had it copied to my sdcard for the future attempt of when I got that far. I've confirmed through file explorer that the apn file is indeed there (finally!) but still am unable to send MMS pics unless I revert back to the stock ROM. Suggestions?

awmartin

Reaction score

sync
reboot

I am a lifelong CS customer and was having the same issue with my MMS. Running Sapphire v1.1.1 and tried to copy/paste and modify the apn file through Astro to no avail, but hadn't come across the terminal commands. As far as correcting my issue with accedintely also changing to the Verizon radio and not getting anywhere on my own, I played the "stupid card" with CS and they warrantied it out for me and never picked up on it was my fault. I was never billed for it. If I knew the appropriate commands for terminal or ADB I'd upload the c_02.05.004 radio for other milestone users who made the same mistake as me to fix their problem without running the risk of being charged for a new phone. As of this moment I ran the commands you listed and it successfully copied the same file you listed. I'd already had it copied to my sdcard for the future attempt of when I got that far. I've confirmed through file explorer that the apn file is indeed there (finally!) but still am unable to send MMS pics unless I revert back to the stock ROM. Suggestions?

If you open up Voice Dialer and say "Open APNs" it should ask you to open APNs, then select it, when that comes up, do you see the Cellular South APN listed there or not? If not, you might want to try to add it in manually. You can do this by hitting Menu, then selecting Add New.

If you open up the XML file I posted it should list all of the values that you will need for the APN (Not in correct order) but plug all these values in and then click on menu and then save then exit and reboot you phone.

I am no pro at this so sorry that it is not working as expected for you.

Let me know if that works and if not, you might try searching for apn*.xml on your phone to see if there is another location that the apn files are stored?