Cannot Showoff Droid Anymore

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
+1 for launcher pro

i was having crazy redraw time until i switched from adw to launcher pro. made me a little sad 'cuz adw is pretty awesome but it started playing not so nicely with my phone. never tried zeam, but launcher pro has option of removing text from app icons on homescreen also.

Oh that's funny, I changed from LP to ADW for the very same reason. That and all the FC's with LP. I would change back it I thought there was some improvement, re-creating all my home screens is a chore.

PS. I have an Un-rooted Droid 1 and I've deleted Flash because it seemed to really slow down the system. By just deleting the file have I done anything, should I factory reset and re-install the large Froyo update?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I I had FRG01b and don't know if I am supposed to download the newest Froyo update or if Chevy's stuff handles that.

just keep up on chevy roms he will keep you with the most up to date froyo stuff..

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
OP I feel your pain. All of the hype over Froyo worked everyone into a "gotta have it frenzy". But it slowed things up so much with the re-draws that is feels like we went backwards to an antiquated device. I hope Moto/Google/VZW are actively looking for a fix.

Reaction score
i love listenin to people that havent even rooted talk about stuff like this...good entertainment..my droid would win any d*** measuring phone contest if i was lame enough to do such a thing...just because you arent keeping up with your smartphone doesnt mean its worthless all of the sudden.

And I love listening to people that expect everyone to root their phone. The vast majority of Droid owners aren't rooted and don't even know what it means. So when your average person off the street wants to compare their phone or show it off, they are going to be basing it on the stock OS and apps.

I have nothing against rooting, but it seems people on this forum forgot that this is a small community of hardcore users compared to the total number of Droid owners...

right. i understand that not everyone is gonna root, but when it comes to leaving this phone stock it's just like any other phone after time...it's gonna slow down, this and that is gonna go wrong, etc. but you can't write it off just because ur not willing to take that tiny step to root and explore ALL the possibilities this phone has, which imo are near endless.

anyone who can read through the forums for a week or so (back in january it took me all of 2 hours on rootyourdroid.info, RIP) should be able to learn everything they need to know about how to make these phones pretty badass...i cant feel bad for those who dont even try.

PridgNYC

Reaction score
Before I get to the point of this I will say I love the ability to use speech in all text input fields, and being able to copy from gmail, which should have been there all along, is great.

I used to love showing my phone to people (D1), now I can't do it. It would be embarrassing.

The redraw issue is ridiculous. I've tried rebooting, battery pull when on, restarting launcher (I use Zeam). This happens with default launcher as well as Zeam, and static as well as live wallpaper.

I understand the OS is handling ram differently and freeing up icon area when using apps and that is what causes this problem. What I don't understand is why not have a small dedicated icon cache. By moving many of my apps to SD card I'm sure I've freed up way more memory than would be needed.
Not only is the redraw crazy slow, there is the lag issue after swiping the phone on, and when working with memory intensive apps (browser, mail, etc) the screen will occasionally revert to the previous static wallpaper if I am currently using a live wallpaper. Granted that hasn't happened but a few times but the icon redraw happens many times a day. It's horrible and I won't be showing off the phone at all anymore. I don't want to show it to anyone at all let alone show it off.

I don't see that much of an improvement in speed and in fact gmail seems more sluggish. The overall feel of the phone seems more sluggish but that could be because of the lag and sloooooooooooow redraw.
Granted we have now have Flash, but with the degradation of 3G in the last several months it's hit or miss as youtube now is.

Bottom line, I was having a much better experience prior to the update.

I'm extremely disappointed and can't believe this isn't a priority upgrade fix but I don't see anyone talking about this being addressed in any of the new upgrades which folks have started to flash to their phone.
If anyone knows anything about a fix coming for this I would be extremely happy to hear about it.

I'm unrooted FRG01B, frustrated and just to recap - extremely disappointed.

The update to FRG22D resolved most of the performance issues I was seeing when I was still on FRG01B, still have the slow icon refresh when I remove the phone from the multimedia dock, but all the rest of the times I would get slow redraws and lag seem to be resolved.

OP
D

datacreek

Reaction score
Lotta interesting replies here.

I'm sure I'll root the phone at some time. I've just got a lot of interest plus my job. I'm not put off by rooting. I rockboxed my sansa and run CHKD on my Cannon Camera. 3 laptops, 3 desktops with various OS's XP, Win 7, couple of Linux distros and a hacked version of XP. Am I cool now:unsure:

Tried LP awhile back, seemed a bit slower than Zeam. I'll give it another look although I'm pretty happy with Zeam. It now works in landscape.
Sometimes we try something and comment on it and by that time it's been updated to do what we thought it didn't.

I wasn't by any means giving up on Droid or trashing the phone. I was, however, thinking the devs should have addressed this problem before the release. As I said an icon cache would have probably been an easy thing to implement.
BTW: What prompted me to finally post was the reverting to a static wallpaper. I decided to leave the static wallpaper and see what happens and it's been a little over a day and my phone is running a lot better. I don't believe I've had one redraw since.

As I said I'll probably root. It's just that I'm really pretty happing with the phone stock if it's fast and smooth. Really, the main reason I'll root is to overclock.
I've been working with computers since the '80s so I'm not worried about rooting at all.
But as others have mentioned there are a lot of users who don't even know what rooting or for that matter redraw means. Those folks probably don't even know what ADW, LP or a launcher is. They do know that their phone seems sluggish and doesn't work as good as it did. There are a lot of them and this was my point when stating "how could the devs let this happen". I know I'm not on the latest version of FroYo and that was part of my question... does the latest version address this. If not for me, then all those others who don't have a clue.

Flandry

Reaction score
Try this first

I've had the same redraw problem. It started while I still had 2.1. I hoped 2.2 would fix it. Neither update did. Yesterday I was reading threads about others with the same problem and came across one person who, out of frustration, pulled out his battery while the phone was still on. When he put the battery back in and powered up, the phone went back to working properly.

I gave it a try. The phone appears to have had some save-state it couldn't save because when my phone came back up, I got the new-user "tap the screen" to get started pop-up. So far my phone seems to be back to working properly again.

OP
D

datacreek

Reaction score
Yeah, pulling the battery, phone on or off only works for a short while as does using a static wallpaper. Just spend a little time browsing the web and then, well you know...

pyro6128

Reaction score
root, then install ultimate droid extreme 8.0, throw the watermarkd theme on top of that, over clock it, and not only will you have a phone that performs better than everyone else you want to show off to, but itll look nicer too and be customized exactly the way you want.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I just want a phone that works as well as it did when I bought it. Or as well as it did on the 2.1 update. I did not have any of these redraw issues on 2.1 .

Is Froyo the Vista of Android?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just want a phone that works as well as it did when I bought it. Or as well as it did on the 2.1 update. I did not have any of these redraw issues on 2.1 .

Not for me :)

ADW will get you the least redraws with it's new implementation of the persistant option. Try it out..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't believe everything you read. I can tell you from the poll that was set up by someone who had a negative view of 2.2 that most people are really enjoying this update. You just hear the people who have problems complaining. Most of these problems can be solved by doing a Factory Data Reset.

I've been running 2.2 since June in one form or another and it's just the best OS this Droid has seen. Runs even nicer on my D2.

Another thing, a lot of these issues are app related, and I say this often: You build the app for the OS, not the other way around.

rjax

Reaction score

Not for me :)

ADW will get you the least redraws with it's new implementation of the persistant option. Try it out..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This. You lose landscape home screen views (even with the keyboard open), but apparently that's a major reason behind all the redraws. ADW's been fantastic for me. I can't even remember the last time I've had a redraw. I keep most of my widgets on PowerStrip, so that's part of it, I'm sure, but it's so nice to be able to exit out of a web browser and have the home screen pop up instantly.

digitalzen

Reaction score
Remarks un-called for..

i love listenin to people that havent even rooted talk about stuff like this...good entertainment..my droid would win any d*** measuring phone contest if i was lame enough to do such a thing...just because you arent keeping up with your smartphone doesnt mean its worthless all of the sudden.

This forum is for Droids, not just for rooted phones. Your remark makes you sound like a noob snob, not someone who's with the program. How about offering a little help? That would improve the image that you're creating for yourself -- a whole bunch.