Cannot Showoff Droid Anymore

datacreek

Reaction score
Before I get to the point of this I will say I love the ability to use speech in all text input fields, and being able to copy from gmail, which should have been there all along, is great.

I used to love showing my phone to people (D1), now I can't do it. It would be embarrassing.

The redraw issue is ridiculous. I've tried rebooting, battery pull when on, restarting launcher (I use Zeam). This happens with default launcher as well as Zeam, and static as well as live wallpaper.

I understand the OS is handling ram differently and freeing up icon area when using apps and that is what causes this problem. What I don't understand is why not have a small dedicated icon cache. By moving many of my apps to SD card I'm sure I've freed up way more memory than would be needed.
Not only is the redraw crazy slow, there is the lag issue after swiping the phone on, and when working with memory intensive apps (browser, mail, etc) the screen will occasionally revert to the previous static wallpaper if I am currently using a live wallpaper. Granted that hasn't happened but a few times but the icon redraw happens many times a day. It's horrible and I won't be showing off the phone at all anymore. I don't want to show it to anyone at all let alone show it off.

I don't see that much of an improvement in speed and in fact gmail seems more sluggish. The overall feel of the phone seems more sluggish but that could be because of the lag and sloooooooooooow redraw.
Granted we have now have Flash, but with the degradation of 3G in the last several months it's hit or miss as youtube now is.

Bottom line, I was having a much better experience prior to the update.

I'm extremely disappointed and can't believe this isn't a priority upgrade fix but I don't see anyone talking about this being addressed in any of the new upgrades which folks have started to flash to their phone.
If anyone knows anything about a fix coming for this I would be extremely happy to hear about it.

I'm unrooted FRG01B, frustrated and just to recap - extremely disappointed.

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Keep in memory, launcher pro plus, cyanogenmod 6.0 stable

keep both in memory and ur golden!

OP
D

datacreek

Reaction score

Yeah, I'll probably end up rooting for a better experience. I do like Zeam though, being able to remove text from the icons looks much better to me.

BUT the point is: You shouldn't have to root to use your phone!

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Oh I thought you couldnt show off your droid cuz u put a picture of a naked lady on there or something, my bad :p

ocholoco

Reaction score
+1 for launcher pro

i was having crazy redraw time until i switched from adw to launcher pro. made me a little sad 'cuz adw is pretty awesome but it started playing not so nicely with my phone. never tried zeam, but launcher pro has option of removing text from app icons on homescreen also.

ocholoco

Reaction score
Oh I thought you couldnt show off your droid cuz u put a picture of a naked lady on there or something, my bad :p

there are those who would want to show the naked lady off more than the phone :icon_eek:

kdmhongshi

Reaction score

Yeah, I'll probably end up rooting for a better experience. I do like Zeam though, being able to remove text from the icons looks much better to me.

BUT the point is: You shouldn't have to root to use your phone!

LauncherPro has the same option. o_Oa

It's under Appearance Settings -> "Hide icon labels" [Hides the text labels under home screen icons]

facepalmmmmmmm

Reaction score
i love listenin to people that havent even rooted talk about stuff like this...good entertainment..my droid would win any d*** measuring phone contest if i was lame enough to do such a thing...just because you arent keeping up with your smartphone doesnt mean its worthless all of the sudden.

machnhed

Reaction score
i love listenin to people that havent even rooted talk about stuff like this...good entertainment..my droid would win any d*** measuring phone contest if i was lame enough to do such a thing...just because you arent keeping up with your smartphone doesnt mean its worthless all of the sudden.

Exactly, most of us have our droid's tweaked out to be faster than any other stock phone on the market to this day. Only thing we truly lack is a bit in the RAM department, but good memory management makes up for a lot of that.

schnyd

Reaction score
Before I get to the point of this I will say I love the ability to use speech in all text input fields, and being able to copy from gmail, which should have been there all along, is great.

I used to love showing my phone to people (D1), now I can't do it. It would be embarrassing.

The redraw issue is ridiculous. I've tried rebooting, battery pull when on, restarting launcher (I use Zeam). This happens with default launcher as well as Zeam, and static as well as live wallpaper.

I understand the OS is handling ram differently and freeing up icon area when using apps and that is what causes this problem. What I don't understand is why not have a small dedicated icon cache. By moving many of my apps to SD card I'm sure I've freed up way more memory than would be needed.
Not only is the redraw crazy slow, there is the lag issue after swiping the phone on, and when working with memory intensive apps (browser, mail, etc) the screen will occasionally revert to the previous static wallpaper if I am currently using a live wallpaper. Granted that hasn't happened but a few times but the icon redraw happens many times a day. It's horrible and I won't be showing off the phone at all anymore. I don't want to show it to anyone at all let alone show it off.

I don't see that much of an improvement in speed and in fact gmail seems more sluggish. The overall feel of the phone seems more sluggish but that could be because of the lag and sloooooooooooow redraw.
Granted we have now have Flash, but with the degradation of 3G in the last several months it's hit or miss as youtube now is.

Bottom line, I was having a much better experience prior to the update.

I'm extremely disappointed and can't believe this isn't a priority upgrade fix but I don't see anyone talking about this being addressed in any of the new upgrades which folks have started to flash to their phone.
If anyone knows anything about a fix coming for this I would be extremely happy to hear about it.

I'm unrooted FRG01B, frustrated and just to recap - extremely disappointed.

There are a number of Moto Droids that had corruption in the froyo update. The stores now have the ability to reload the OS thru their flash machines if you take it in. I read about one guy who couldn't receive calls or select icons, he took it in they flashed it and all was better. Might be something for you to try.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I understand how frustrated you probably are. If rooting is an option for you then I would definitely suggest CM6. Its the only rom I haven't had redraw issues with.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

virtaclesmile

Reaction score
I used to have horrible redraw with beautiful widgets. I'm currently running UD 8; weather an toggle widgets; launcher pro plus; OC'd 1.1 chevy's; silhouette donation with 7 screens. so far.....no redraw. and lastly your not on the latest version of froyo anyway. dancedroid

Detonation

Reaction score

And I love listening to people that expect everyone to root their phone. The vast majority of Droid owners aren't rooted and don't even know what it means. So when your average person off the street wants to compare their phone or show it off, they are going to be basing it on the stock OS and apps.

I have nothing against rooting, but it seems people on this forum forgot that this is a small community of hardcore users compared to the total number of Droid owners...

thehirsches

Reaction score
I have nothing against rooting, but it seems people on this forum forgot that this is a small community of hardcore users compared to the total number of Droid owners...

I totally agree. I am rooted, but just barely and used EasyRoot to do it. Most of us are just trying to make our phones a bit better/nicer, not trying to push the envelope to see just how far we can go before bricking.

I have Chevy's 1.1, Simply Stunning (since I figure a build and kernel from the same guy will be more stable) and Launcher Pro only because I followed one of the all-too-few "guides for newbies" here. I had FRG01b and don't know if I am supposed to download the newest Froyo update or if Chevy's stuff handles that.

Please remember that for every active poster who is very knowledgeable, there are hundreds of viewers who are trying to learn.
Teach us, O Wise ones. Do not shun us.