Fixed my constant redraw problems (for the most part)

revenge8

Reaction score
So while i running stock froyo i was having constant redraw problems as everyone else. I then rooted and ran BB, CM6, and Sapphire.. all with launcher pro or ADW (tried both) still had redraw problems. I then changed to ShadowROM v.0.0.1 final with P3 kernal LV 250-1000. Loved the ROM and had less redraws generally. I messed around with the settings and now my redraw problems are nearly gone. Heres what i did:

In ShadowROM settings (under Performance):
Enabled CompCache (i believe you need P3 kernals for this)
Enabled Lock Home in Memory

In LauncherPro settings
Enabled Keep in memory (under general settings)
(Under Advanced Settings > Memory Usage)
Memory usage preset at moderate.
Enabled homescreen cache
Compressed homescreen cache type
Enabled build caches as needed
Disabled Clear caches on exit
Enabled Prevent forced-closes

Finally (and i feel most importantly)
DISABLED Auto-Rotation (In Behavior settings)

Disabling auto-rotation only works when keypad is in closed position.

NOW when/if you do open the keypad, make sure to close it in while still in landscape, and let the screen (may it be SMS or email...etc) auto rotate back to portrait.. then press the home key after it auto rotates and that seemed to fix all my constant redraw problems! (there is a few every now and then.. but they seem to be like 90% gone!)

When closing the keypad and turning at the same time from landscape to portrait it seems to redraw a lot. Letting it auto rotate back in the program then going back home seems to fix it.

Hope that helps anyone.

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I basically fixed mine on Stock 2.2 with ADW -- I disabled Screen Rotation and it worked for me. Believe me, I was getting 10-15 of these a day. 100% if I was in the browser of Gallery for more than 30 seconds.

exp

Reaction score
"When closing the keypad and turning at the same time from landscape to portrait it seems to redraw a lot. Letting it auto rotate back in the program then going back home seems to fix it."

What good does that do? Eliminating the redraw by simply waiting 2 seconds isn't solving the user expperience problem. Now you're just wasting a few seconds in a different spot than before. The true solution is to be able to use your phone normally without having redraws. I appreciate your work around, but I just don't think it solves much. You're still babying your phone so that it can keep up.

OP
revenge8

revenge8

Reaction score
"When closing the keypad and turning at the same time from landscape to portrait it seems to redraw a lot. Letting it auto rotate back in the program then going back home seems to fix it."

What good does that do? Eliminating the redraw by simply waiting 2 seconds isn't solving the user expperience problem. Now you're just wasting a few seconds in a different spot than before. The true solution is to be able to use your phone normally without having redraws. I appreciate your work around, but I just don't think it solves much. You're still babying your phone so that it can keep up.

your right, but id rather waste 0.5 seconds letting it flip than waiting 5.0 seconds for it to redraw.. call me impatient i guess :wink: but it does seem to help the problem.. i guess "fix" was a bad description.
Disabling auto-rotate does help alot though

brochaos

Reaction score
exactly, the rotate in an app takes a split second usually, where the regular full on redraw for me took upwards of 10 seconds.

with basically the same settings in CM6, with ADW, i don't even get the keyboard out redraw anymore. infact, i basically get zero redraws rigth now, not even after taking it out of a dock (which is another trouble spot for LP).

OP
revenge8

revenge8

Reaction score
exactly, the rotate in an app takes a split second usually, where the regular full on redraw for me took upwards of 10 seconds.

with basically the same settings in CM6, with ADW, i don't even get the keyboard out redraw anymore. infact, i basically get zero redraws rigth now, not even after taking it out of a dock (which is another trouble spot for LP).

glad someone knows what im talking about! :)