LauncherPro Redraw

hydrolex99

Reaction score
Ever since I manually updated to 2.2 I am having tons of issues with redraws/restarts of LauncherPro when I leave an app. This is pretty frustrating and I was wondering if there is a fix. I have tried altering the memory usage in the settings as well as the cache first trying to change one, then the other then combinations of the two but I am having no luck. Any tips?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Last edited:

dramatix01

Reaction score
Unrooted is the key word

I am having this same issue with frequent redraws and every solution to this problem that I can find involves making changes to config files or using apps that require *ROOT* access.

Has anyone found a way to fix this issue on UNROOTED handsets?

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the best fix i have found for this issue, and it has worked wonders for many people (so much so that some roms include it stock), is from samsonite801:

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal, type su and enter. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter. Then reboot. Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag. If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop

To remove the toggle: In Root Explorer, go to /data/, tap Mount R/W at the top, then long-press on local.prop and Open in Text Editor, then delete the line: ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1.

unfortunately, this is for root users only. i'm unaware of anything for stock people, except for monkeying with the launcher settings.

dramatix01

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. I have tried every combination of settings within LauncherPro and I still have the same problem with redraws. Rooting is an impractical solution for the majority of LP users which is why I was hoping someone had found a solution that didn't require root.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. I have tried every combination of settings within LauncherPro and I still have the same problem with redraws. Rooting is an impractical solution for the majority of LP users which is why I was hoping someone had found a solution that didn't require root.

Switch to ADW.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i was just gonna say that...

every phone is different, so every launcher is going to perform differently. on my phone, ADW just never runs as well as LP. other people have the opposite experience. you just have to experiment and find the best one for your phone. there are several launchers out there. right now i'm using GO Launcher EX (free in the mkt), and it's very nice. also, visit this thread from our sister site, with a discussion of numerous other launchers: Android Home Replacements Here!

b-jammin21

Reaction score
i was just gonna say that...

every phone is different, so every launcher is going to perform differently. on my phone, ADW just never runs as well as LP. other people have the opposite experience. you just have to experiment and find the best one for your phone. there are several launchers out there. right now i'm using GO Launcher EX (free in the mkt), and it's very nice. also, visit this thread from our sister site, with a discussion of numerous other launchers: Android Home Replacements Here!

+1. Try some different ones and see which works best for you. I used to love LP, but if it wasn't redraw lag, it was FC's. ADW wasn't too impressive to me either, and I also got lots of redraw on that one as well. And trust me, I tried EVERY fix in the book, besides new hardware. Since then I've been with GO launcher and I don't ever get redraws.

Sent from my Droid using my Droid

rickt1152

Reaction score
Some things to try

As previously discussed, there are several possible options for rooted phones that work pretty well. On a non rooted phone, there are still some things you can try. Keep in mind what is happening is the launcher is getting killed by the OS because of other applications.

1. Take a look at the "Running Services" and see if there are some resource hogs that are not things you need/use. Some apps are set up to restart even if you kill them and may need to be uninstalled to resolve. In some cases, there may be an option in a particular app to allow it to run in background that is causing it to restart constantly.

2. Another thing which is pretty simple, but difficult for former Blackberry users is to not exit apps by backing out of them. This will often cause the redraw as compared to simply exiting an app by hitting the home key. You will notice this frequently with the browser among other apps. When done, just hit the Home key.

3. There are some Cache cleaners that don't require root (I believe) and some people have said that this helps. I haven't personally found this to make much difference, but ymmv.

4. Really look at the widgets you have, if you have several on your home page, this can contribute to the redraw since these may have to reload as well. You may have to sacrifice some of your widgets for performance.

5. Ensure your launcher is not been moved to SD card.

6. Of course, the best redraw solutions are root based if you want to go that route.

dramatix01

Reaction score
Thanks for all the excellent responses. The primary reason I posted here is because I remain partial to LauncherPro as I have the Plus version and the Calendar widget is the best that I have found to suit my needs. I live by my calendar so it's extremely convenient to have it in may face all the time. Every other calendar widget that I've tried isn't nearly as clean and fast as the LP version so I find that I can't live without it!

Some of the things that I have tried to minimize the redraws were mentioned by Rick, in particular, reducing the number of widgets that used. I also dropped from 5 home screens and 3 docks to 3 home screens and 1 dock. I don't believe I was using a large number of widgets, but I went from Beautiful Widgets Home and the LP People, Bookmarks, Calendar, and Friends widgets down to Beautiful Super Clock, LP Calendar, and Tweetdeck Bar and Compose. This seems to have made the biggest difference in overall performance, particularly because of the elimination of the LP Friends widget. I noticed after some playing that the Friends widget would take a lot of time to reload, especially if I was in an area with bad 3G connectivity.

This doesn't prevent all redraws, but it does prevent some. It also doesn't take as long to redraw. For now, this is a much better compromise that allows me to use the LP Calendar.

Also worth mentioning is that I did try GO Launcher. It's awesome. It makes a great substitute for LP with its very nice set of features.