Droid 1, MIUI 1232, Home screen does NOT rotate in landscape

droidforsale

Reaction score
I saw a thread on this a while ago, but I can't find it. So please frogive me if this has already been solved.

I just installed MIUI 1232 on my recently rooted droid. I have auto rotate enabled in settings. However, my home screen does NOT rotate in landscape. various apps do rotate in landscape, just not the homescreen. Anyone else have smae problem?

joeybarclay

Reaction score
It isn't meant to. Launchers can't rotate if they are forced to stay in memory like MIUI's is.

dirtysanchez

Reaction score
I saw a thread on this a while ago, but I can't find it. So please frogive me if this has already been solved.

I just installed MIUI 1232 on my recently rooted droid. I have auto rotate enabled in settings. However, my home screen does NOT rotate in landscape. various apps do rotate in landscape, just not the homescreen. Anyone else have smae problem?

+1 BW love to screw up. I wish there was a way to remove out the desk clock app it causes most of my issues.

Reaction score
The reason it does not rotate the home screen has nothing to do with the fact it stays in memory. It was never designed to rotate because MIUI was originally designed for the nexus one, which does not have a slide out keyboard. I believe this was covered in the MIUI user guide sticky at the top of the page.

As far as it being forced to stay in memory, that was added to the build.prop by the guys who ported it to the Droid.

TSAElement

Reaction score
As far as it being forced to stay in memory, that was added to the build.prop by the guys who ported it to the Droid.

To add to Mr. Orange's post, it was added by the porting devs to resolve severely slow redraw issues in earlier versions. If you flashed 6.4 you'd see what I'm talking about... the redraw was terrible.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score

To add to Mr. Orange's post, it was added by the porting devs to resolve severely slow redraw issues in earlier versions. If you flashed 6.4 you'd see what I'm talking about... the redraw was terrible.

Do you mind if I take your sig pic of MIUI and use it? I like it quite a bit

And if you guys use a replacement launcher it will rotate. But that's if

xformulax

Reaction score

+1 BW love to screw up. I wish there was a way to remove out the desk clock app it causes most of my issues.

so remove the desk clock app... it's one of the first things i remove when i flash a rom.

TedWilliams

Reaction score
Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR
The reason it does not rotate the home screen has nothing to do with the fact it stays in memory. It was never designed to rotate because MIUI was originally designed for the nexus one, which does not have a slide out keyboard. I believe this was covered in the MIUI user guide sticky at the top of the page.

Having a slideout keyboard or not isn't necessarily relevant because there are people who have a keyboard-less phone but like to view stuff in landscape.

Z

ZeroBarrier

The home screens were never designed for landscape, plain and simple. The fact that the droid has a slide out keyboard sort of gives it more wiggle room in asking why the home screens don't switch to landscape mode when pulled out.

I'm one of the few people that hates landscape home screens; they don't make sense in my opinion. Everything is way too squished down and stretched out to be either functional or good looking.

Edit: The fact that people like seeing things in landscape is irrelevant, the ROM supports it, it just does not support landscape on the home screens, which is fine by me.

Reaction score
Having a slideout keyboard or not isn't necessarily relevant because there are people who have a keyboard-less phone but like to view stuff in landscape.

It isn't relevant to what people WANT, sure. It IS relevant to what is SUPPORTED or designed by the ROM developers. The standard Android ROM homescreen doesn't rotate to landscape either (Unless you have a Droid and slide out the keyboard).

I may WANT my truck to go 150 miles per hour and handle corners like a race car, but that doesn't mean it will happen, because it was not DESIGNED that way.

You may WANT MIUI to have a landscape homescreen, but it wasn't DESIGNED that way either.