Brand new Motorola Razr M - shut itself off and will not turn back on.

cs3

Reaction score
I bought a new Razr M (model XT907) for my wife earlier today.
We got home from the Verizon store and it was working fine. She noticed the battery was very low so we put it on the charger for about 90 minutes.
The battery completed died (while still on the charger) and now wont turn back on. Its completely dead.

Ive tried plugging it in on various outlets around the house, and using multiple chargers and even a car charger, and nothing happens. No power, no light, nothing.

Im obviously going to take it back to Verizon tomorrow, but is this a known issue with this model? Anyone else have the same problem? Again, this is a brand new phone. If this is a recurring problem with no known fix I wont keep it, and will get her something else.
I have a Droid 4 and have never experienced anything like this.

If anyone can offer any help I would appreciate it. Thanks!

lowvolt

Reaction score
Hold down power and volume up and volume down until the screen flashes. Could take up to about 60 seconds.then if it doesn't power up automatically press power button.

OP
C

cs3

Reaction score
I tried that after reading a few other threads, but still nothing.I called verizon tech support and they told me to just take it back for an exchange.
Do you know what causes this problem, and if happens often?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You're the first person I've seen have this problem with a brand new M. Sounds like a 1 in a million (low balling) chance of happening. Just rotten luck, must be a defective phone. Bad charging port or some sort of hardware issue. I very highly doubt you will have a problem with another M.

When you get a new phone, whatever it is, completely charge it before turning it on the first time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
They are ship with ample charge for those that don't heed the instructions. Sounds like a bad battery off the get go.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

GinRicky

Reaction score
Have had the Razr M for a couple months; three times now it has not responded to the power button to wake it back up after charging. A combination of doing the soft reset, power and volume down button, and plugging/unplugging charger has worked every time. The last time it did this simply the soft reset worked, and I noticed a screen flash as though it was apparently still on beforehand, but just wouldn't come back out of standby. It does not appear to matter at what level of charge the battery is, either. Other than that I've had no problems.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
They are ship with ample charge for those that don't heed the instructions. Sounds like a bad battery off the get go.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

This is generally true. From the battery manufacturer, the batteries are shipped with between 40% and 50% charge, but this is not done so the end user can immediately power it up and use it till it dies...but instead so the battery doesn't slip into "Protection Mode" and become unresponsive to a charger. This is of course, not how it's explained at the Phone Center Stores and other Cellular Phone dealers. Instead, they power the phone up at the counter, show you how to set up your Google account and send you on your way surfing and calling without even the hint of a warning that you should FIRST FULLY CHARGE the battery BEFORE using it normally, even though the instructions clearly state the same (see below).

View attachment 62881
Droid RAZR (note how it shows the charging FIRST...THEN powering up)!

View attachment 62879
Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX
View attachment 62880
Droid RAZR MAXX HD

The little "clocks" at the bottoms of the images show the MINIMUM recommended charging time for the first charge cycle. For the RAZR and RAZR HD (not the HD MAXX), it's 3.5 hours, and for the RAZR MAXX and HD MAXX, it's 5.5 hours.

Lithium Ion Polymer batteries will lose the top 10% of the full charge (100%), in the first 24 hours simply due to a phenomenon known as "Self-Discharge", but after that the percentage of charge lost due to the Self-Discharge decreases to about 2% per 24 hours initially at 90% and eventually decreases to about 2% per month at around the 50% mark. By charging to 40% to 50%, the manufacturer enables the battery (and phone), to sit on a shelf at a warehouse for many months without Self-Discharging to 0%.

If the battery were allowed to Self-Discharge much beyond the "0%" level (which is about 3 Volts), and instead reach or exceed the minimum level of between 2.7 and 2.5 Volts, the battery has a protection circuit built inside that essentially puts the battery to sleep. This is done to prevent the battery from self-destructing - a phenomenon that can result in a violent eruption of hot gasses and flames, essentially a mini-explosion. Any battery that's been allowed to remain below the targeted minimum voltages for an extended period of time can be at risk of this catastrophic destruction, so the manufacturer puts this protection circuit in place to protect those that handle them and also the end users.

Also as I have said SO many times, EVERY Lithium Ion powered phone should be FULLY CHARGED BEFORE using the first time. We can excuse the few minutes that it's configured at the store perhaps, as long as the phone is then POWERED DOWN and FULLY CHARGED as soon as possible. Certainly NOBODY should be using the phone right from the store and assuming it's OK to continue using it until it dies or until they go to bed that night. This is a recipe for failure as the Meter will become confused as to what charge the battery can hold, and can eventually lead to very strange power readings, what appears to be rapid depletion of battery power, and potentially an eventual complete failure to take a charge at some point.

Last edited:

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
SOunds like a bad battery. To restart after a charge sometimes takes holding the power button in for a while. Sometimes that brings up the battery symbol, sometimes not. Your results may vary ;)

DevrinK

Reaction score
Hold down power and volume up and volume down until the screen flashes. Could take up to about 60 seconds.then if it doesn't power up automatically press power button.

THANKS! Just used this to get my daughter's RazrM back. Unit went to sleep and wouldn't wake up. Plugged in to charger and din't even bring up the charging indicator. Very much appreciated as I thought this was her latest paperweight.

WStendrup

Reaction score
Thank you!

This worked when I held down the "Power" and "Volume Down" buttons simutaneously for nearly 60 seconds; this saved me a frustrating trip to "the store." Thanks again!

svl66

Reaction score
bought a new Razr M last week. Since then, it has shut itself off 3 times. and was a PIA to restart. Thinkin bout bringing it back and getting a G-S IV

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
bought a new Razr M last week. Since then, it has shut itself off 3 times. and was a PIA to restart. Thinkin bout bringing it back and getting a G-S IV

you should defiantly return it for at least an exchange before its too late. i wouldn't put up with that.

OP
C

cs3

Reaction score
So it seems like this is a pretty common issue with the M.
Have either Motorola or Verizon acknowledged the problem or determined what is causing it?

jgiannettict

Reaction score
Have either Motorola or Verizon acknowledged the problem or determined what is causing it?

No answer...they need to get on this asap......correct it with an update....

netizenmt

Reaction score

Seriously, I have never had this problem. I even had a ROM I was testing suck my battery down to 2% before I realized it and had no problems getting going again. I think it's just a case of the Law of Averages catching up with you. I wouldn't be afraid to trade it in for another if I were you.

Sent from my Droid Razr M using Tapatalk 4 Beta