Brand new Motorola Razr M - shut itself off and will not turn back on.

jgiannettict

Reaction score
I dont think its a law of averages. .its real common problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

videoross

Reaction score
my motorola Razr M turns off

Go to settings, developer options, stay awake, this keeps the screen illuminated during charging but also works for stopping the phone from turning off randomly.

VRSCF09

Reaction score
Motorola RAZM XT907 Shut ifself off & will not turn back on

Hold down power and volume up and volume down until the screen flashes. Could take up to about 60 seconds.then if it doesn't power up automatically press power button.

Thanks a bunch, I've tried what you suggested and it works.

dancedroid

VRSCF09 Memphis, TN

Peru_Serv

Reaction score
Motorola RAZR Will Not Charge Or Power On

I have a Motorola Razr D1 I think it is. I've had it for less than a month. Yesterday it started running very hot and I noticed that the battery was draining quickly. The phone shut itself off just before I reached my office. I immediately plugged it in and I know the charger made contact because the three buttom buttons lit immediately. It will not charge, however, nor will it power on. I took the battery out and took it home and then plugged it into my wall outlet and left it overnight. The phone does not seem to have charged, the charge icon does not go on, nor does the phone power on.

I've tried holding the power button and the volume up button but it does not reset. I've also tried the power button and the volume down. I can only assume that the phone is broken and I'm taking it in for service today.

Edit: The tech got it charged but it's still draining power very fast - lost 10 percent of battery charge in 30 minutes without any use at all. It claims the biggest drain of the battery is the screen. I'm using the battery save mode that came with the phone that's supposed to automatically adjust screen brightness to save battery power.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Droid RAZR When Screen Blanks Out After Call, Screen Won't Come Back Without Reboot

Droid Razr has been giving me fits off and on for months. Simply put, when screen shuts off, the whole phone dies, only thing that is lite up is green lite or bottom functions, no screen. When someone calls, it rings, and if I hit the right spots to unlock blank screen, I can answer phone, but no screen lites up. I've done the reset to factory settings, cleared out all data, hit the power on and volume down buttoms a hundred times to get screen to lite again, but it still shuts off when screen goes off.

I keep phone plugged into computer most of the time, so it is always fully charged, so it is not battery issue as far as I can tell. When not plugged in, battery holds charge, but again, once screen shuts off, so does screen. Because I am always plugged into computer, it is always charging, so I set the function where screen stays on while charging under advanced options. It works fine, but the minute I am away from computer with phone, it goes back to dead mode when screen shuts off.

I have tried everything I know with no luck, but again, it is freaky, it will come and go, so not what you would expect with most problems, so with contract not up for a few more months, anyone know anything else to do to solve this mystery. Phone is hardly used, still has protective coating on back as I use other phones when I am out due to this issue for months now.

Thanks,

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Droid Razr has been giving me fits off and on for months. Simply put, when screen shuts off, the whole phone dies, only thing that is lite up is green lite or bottom functions, no screen. When someone calls, it rings, and if I hit the right spots to unlock blank screen, I can answer phone, but no screen lites up. I've done the reset to factory settings, cleared out all data, hit the power on and volume down buttoms a hundred times to get screen to lite again, but it still shuts off when screen goes off.

I keep phone plugged into computer most of the time, so it is always fully charged, so it is not battery issue as far as I can tell. When not plugged in, battery holds charge, but again, once screen shuts off, so does screen. Because I am always plugged into computer, it is always charging, so I set the function where screen stays on while charging under advanced options. It works fine, but the minute I am away from computer with phone, it goes back to dead mode when screen shuts off.

I have tried everything I know with no luck, but again, it is freaky, it will come and go, so not what you would expect with most problems, so with contract not up for a few more months, anyone know anything else to do to solve this mystery. Phone is hardly used, still has protective coating on back as I use other phones when I am out due to this issue for months now.

Thanks,

Do you have any apps installed that might affect the screen & power controls: battery savers, task managers, custom dialers, etc? If an app is causing the problem, you might have downloaded the same problem app after the factory reset & brought the problem right back onto the phone. Have you tried running the phone in Safe Mode for a whole day and have someone call you to see what happens? Safe Mode will only load & run the apps that came on the phone, no Play Store (downloaded) apps will run. If the problem does not happen in Safe Mode, you know it's a Play Store app causing the problem. If the problem does still happen in Safe Mode, it could be any number of things. That would be a good place to start. The only thing with running in Safe Mode is after returning to regular mode, some apps might make you re-enter your password; shouldn't be a major problem. Here is a link to a VZW page with Safe Mode instructions. Hope this helps.

Safe Mode - DROID RAZR M by MOTOROLA

Reaction score
Thanks for response, but I have reset phone to original settings removing all apps, not that I had many to begin with, but figured this would eliminate the possibility, wish I had known about safe mode before given it was a BPITA getting phone back to all my settings. I tried safe mode, and same thing, the moment I get call, the screen will shut off while on call, then won't come back on, but if I don't get a call, and it is plugged into computer charging, then screen stays on now that I set it to stay on while charging. Is there a way to keep the screen on while on the phone to avoid having to reboot it everytime I get off call.

Thanks again,

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for response, but I have reset phone to original settings removing all apps, not that I had many to begin with, but figured this would eliminate the possibility, wish I had known about safe mode before given it was a BPITA getting phone back to all my settings. I tried safe mode, and same thing, the moment I get call, the screen will shut off while on call, then won't come back on, but if I don't get a call, and it is plugged into computer charging, then screen stays on now that I set it to stay on while charging. Is there a way to keep the screen on while on the phone to avoid having to reboot it everytime I get off call.

Thanks again,

It could be a bad proximity sensor? There are apps on the Play Store that you can download to test the proximity sensor. If the sensor is working the screen should be On during a call when the phone is not near your face & screen Off when it is near your face. If the sensor is bad, you might need a new phone.

Reaction score
Yes, only if I put it to my face does screen go off, not when I am on speaker phone which is what I have been doing to avoid the constant hassle of rebooting, especially a pain when another call is coming in, I can't see what buttons to hit when screen is black, so sometimes I get lucky and hit the right spot. lol

Thanks,

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, only if I put it to my face does screen go off, not when I am on speaker phone which is what I have been doing to avoid the constant hassle of rebooting, especially a pain when another call is coming in, I can't see what buttons to hit when screen is black, so sometimes I get lucky and hit the right spot. lol

Thanks,

If the screen goes off then does not come back on when you pull it away from your face, i bet the proximity sensor is bad. I would download one of the test apps and follow the instructions to test it. If the phone is under warranty still, Verizon should send you a replacement.

Reaction score
I was out of country for a few months using another phone, but when I got back I downloaded the app to test the proximity sensor is working properly, but yet the phone screen blanks out and won't come back on no matter what buttons I hit. Been living with the screen on while charging setting since 90% of the time I am on computer, and now I am getting ghosts hitting multiple keys when dialing a number, impossible to make a call now. Any other ideas?

Thanks,