Maxx Shuts Off by itself - False Low Battery?

Trash Can

Reaction score
So should I leave it plugged in until it shows it's fully charged? I am at a loss:blink:

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated:smile:

I can't speak for Professor FoxKat, but as his apprentice, I would attempt to fully charge it while powered off only using the charger that was shipped with the phone.

raygun91

Reaction score
I can't speak for Professor FoxKat, but as his apprentice, I would attempt to fully charge it while powered off only using the charger that was shipped with the phone.

Thanks:) I will do that. I will report back with positive results *fingers crossed*

Trash Can

Reaction score
Thanks:) I will do that. I will report back with positive results *fingers crossed*

Hope it works. Assuming a full charge is attained, I believe the next step Professor FoxKat would have you do would be run it down to the 15% warning, then power down and fully recharge again. After that, use as normal, but repeat this process every month or so. I'm sure the good Professor will chime in if I missed something.

Either way, please keep us informed. We're all here to learn something.

raygun91

Reaction score
I've had it charging now for nearly 4 hours. The Motorola website says that it takes approximately 5 hours from 0%-100%, so I will give it that and maybe a little more. The display still shows an empty battery with a large question mark inside. A quick Google search suggests this symbol means that the battery has a bad connection, but these answers are for phones with removable batteries. Could this mean that my battery is no good? Or what else could this symbol mean for the Maxx?

Again, thanks for the help.

raygun91

Reaction score
I was finally able to get the Maxx running again. I figured out how to do a factory restore without it ever actually booting (I couldn't find this anywhere on the internet). I posted this in another thread already:

*I started by performing a battery pull by holding down the volume down and power button for about 10 sec.
*As soon as the screen went dark, I then held both volume buttons until a screen came up with white letters giving some booting options.
*Scroll down to "restore" by using the volume down button, and select "restore" using the volume up button
*Now a screen with a triangle with an exclamation point (!) and the android guy popped up.
*Press both volume buttons to bring up a pop-up menu with several options including something similar to "factory restore." Select it by pressing the power button
*Another menu comes up with "yes" or "no." Scroll down to "yes" using the volume down and select it with the power button.

I am not sure if all of steps are exactly right, but there they are as best as I can remember. By doing this, I was able to perform a factory restore without being able to boot. This erases all of your saved data, but at least restores the phones functionality. If you were having the same problems as me, make sure you power down and charge it to 100% IMMEDIATELY after setup (Many, many thanks to FoxKat for all of the info on this. Read his posts for tons of his expert knowledge on batteries). I will update in the future on whether or not it solved all of my issues or not.

Thank you Trash Can for your help:biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I was finally able to get the Maxx running again. I figured out how to do a factory restore without it ever actually booting (I couldn't find this anywhere on the internet). I posted this in another thread already:

*I started by performing a battery pull by holding down the volume down and power button for about 10 sec.
*As soon as the screen went dark, I then held both volume buttons until a screen came up with white letters giving some booting options.
*Scroll down to "restore" by using the volume down button, and select "restore" using the volume up button
*Now a screen with a triangle with an exclamation point (!) and the android guy popped up.
*Press both volume buttons to bring up a pop-up menu with several options including something similar to "factory restore." Select it by pressing the power button
*Another menu comes up with "yes" or "no." Scroll down to "yes" using the volume down and select it with the power button.

I am not sure if all of steps are exactly right, but there they are as best as I can remember. By doing this, I was able to perform a factory restore without being able to boot. This erases all of your saved data, but at least restores the phones functionality. If you were having the same problems as me, make sure you power down and charge it to 100% IMMEDIATELY after setup (Many, many thanks to FoxKat for all of the info on this. Read his posts for tons of his expert knowledge on batteries). I will update in the future on whether or not it solved all of my issues or not.

Thank you Trash Can for your help:biggrin:

Way to go! It seems I have not just one apprentice, but two! You guys make me so proud. Using the recovery menu once you got in was what saved you. There's another user who suffered the same circumstances as you. I'll have to see if this can work for them, but it may be too late for them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Foxcat,

This has been a very interesting thread to me. As it happens, I also own a Kindle Fire and have noticed a number of reviews and posts on the Amazon customer feedback sites citing problems of the KF "dying" after a few weeks or months. It's especially interesting that many of these reports claim they've received replacement units (or even two) from Amazon with the same problem. (The chances of multiple faulty units sent to the same person are, of course, miniscule.)

I'm strongly suspecting that the problems stem from the same source cited here, especially since (a) many KF users are accustomed to devices that can last for weeks on a single charge and (b) many don't make the connection between a smartphone and the KF despite the obviously similar hardware.

I like your analytical skills. You are absolutely right about multiple failures of the same type being extremely unlikely as a chance happening. There are several people who have gone through multiple replacement phones suffering virtually identical issues. I look at what is the common denominator in those situations and it is the user and their usage habits which are not likely to change. Take a new, undamaged phone and place it into the same situation that caused an identical phone to fail previously, and it's highly likely that the new phone will fail eventually with the same symptoms.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dowitch

Reaction score
Thanks for the help with my Dead Droid!

Thank you for the replies to this thread. I've had my Razr Maxx for just under a month, and was really thrown when it died yesterday as I finished a phone call. I did charge it out of the box before using it, but didn't know about turning it off to charge it after that, nor that I should let it drain before charging. In fact, Bill at the Verizon store had commented that since the battery didn't have 'memory' like the old-school ones I used to know, that I didn't really need to worry about it (although he'd understand if I did, heh heh).

Anyway, since I frequently tether my Droid to my laptop, it gets a trickle charge while I'm working with files, etc.. I've never let it discharge! In fact, only once has it been below 70%, according to the meter.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get the phone working again, and recharged. Now let's see how it goes with my new understanding of what I need to do!

OP
phillipsjosh2415

phillipsjosh2415

Reaction score
Well, it has been a little over a month since I started this thread and I thought all my worries were over, but not so! My phone did the same thing again tonight, BSOD or whatever it is. In my original post I stated that the only way to get the phone to "power back on" was to plug it into a charger. But at that time I had never heard of the battery pull simulation of the power button + the volume down keys together. Well, I tried that tonight and it didn't work. I held the power key and volume down together for 30 seconds to a minute and nothing. I tried this several times. Would not power back up. When I finally got back to my car I plugged into the charger. The other times, after plugging into a charger, I just held the power key for about 5-10 seconds and it restarted. This time however it took a little longer. I held it for quite a long time and nothing. Then I just drove a while intending to try again at home. I finally pushed power button one more time and it restarted. When fully booted up I checked the battery level and it is at 40%! I don't know what is going on with my phone but I don't think it is the same as everyone else who calls it the BSOD. Mine has never done it after a phone call as some have described. In fact mine has never done it during any kind of usage at all. Every time it has been during sleep mode. The phone is in sleep mode in my pocket or on the desk. I reach to use it and hit the power button to wake it up and nothing. It won't turn on. So far the only way I have been able to wake it up is plug into a charger and then it restarts. It has never had a low battery any of these times. I am at a loss what to do. It doesn't happen a lot but when it does it is a real pain. Thanks for all who have contributed their input and advice on this thread.

tomad9

Reaction score
Well, it has been a little over a month since I started this thread and I thought all my worries were over, but not so! My phone did the same thing again tonight, BSOD or whatever it is. In my original post I stated that the only way to get the phone to "power back on" was to plug it into a charger. But at that time I had never heard of the battery pull simulation of the power button + the volume down keys together. Well, I tried that tonight and it didn't work. I held the power key and volume down together for 30 seconds to a minute and nothing. I tried this several times. Would not power back up. When I finally got back to my car I plugged into the charger. The other times, after plugging into a charger, I just held the power key for about 5-10 seconds and it restarted. This time however it took a little longer. I held it for quite a long time and nothing. Then I just drove a while intending to try again at home. I finally pushed power button one more time and it restarted. When fully booted up I checked the battery level and it is at 40%! I don't know what is going on with my phone but I don't think it is the same as everyone else who calls it the BSOD. Mine has never done it after a phone call as some have described. In fact mine has never done it during any kind of usage at all. Every time it has been during sleep mode. The phone is in sleep mode in my pocket or on the desk. I reach to use it and hit the power button to wake it up and nothing. It won't turn on. So far the only way I have been able to wake it up is plug into a charger and then it restarts. It has never had a low battery any of these times. I am at a loss what to do. It doesn't happen a lot but when it does it is a real pain. Thanks for all who have contributed their input and advice on this thread.

Well my Maxx was getting the BSOD and I called 611 and they though it was the SIM card told me to bring it into store, I brought it into store and the person said it was the phone and they shipped me a recertified phone but no SIM card. I have had bad luck with recertified phones from verizon, it is like they don't even check them and send them out but this one seems good so I am giving it a go with old SIM card, oh well we will see.

kellygh5

Reaction score
Phillipsjosh2415 et al, I hope y'all get your issues figured out. I have no advice, but I have been following battery related threads to learn. Tomad9, my Maxx is a replacement to the G'Nex. I had 3 LNR to my original/NIB G'Nex. My 4th G'Nex was the best & better than my brand new one, albeit still with issues. I was wary of the LNR Maxx, but it was the best option for me. I couldn't be happier! Some adjustments and minor irritations (none related to phone performance), but I continue to be pleased. I have had ZERO issues with my replacement Maxx, and I'm getting very good battery life with helpful suggestions from Trash Can & FoxKat. There is hope :) Good Luck, y'all!

keepitsimple

Reaction score
Same symptoms

Follow up info.

Have had the same problem for 2 months now. Lots of ideas from the forum, helpful and insightful, but no permanent fix.

My second maxx as the first had a screen issue ( hardware) and was replaced. So I traded the screen issue for a battery issue.
I keep my charger handy. I struggle along and probably will continue until I get a discounted upgrade.

Any follow up on this issue?

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Follow up info.

Have had the same problem for 2 months now. Lots of ideas from the forum, helpful and insightful, but no permanent fix.

My second maxx as the first had a screen issue ( hardware) and was replaced. So I traded the screen issue for a battery issue.
I keep my charger handy. I struggle along and probably will continue until I get a discounted upgrade.

Any follow up on this issue?

How long do you estimate before it dies? Is it hours after a charge or days?

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

ELAYDE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
Hey all, I have had my Droid Maxx for a little over a month and have not had any problems with it. I left it off and powered it up out of the box, reboot it once a day and even charge it whenever I can to try to keep it above 50%. (all from advice from my friend who is a phone/tablet junkie) Last night was the first time I have let the battery completely drain completely to 0. I took the charger to my new job anticipating heavy battery drain from the navigation and forgot it there... Anyways, even tho i completely charged the battery after it drained, It has been turning off on it's own. At first I thought it was getting too hot in my pocket so I left it on the kitchen counter, I came back to it being off again. Just a moment ago I picked it up off the couch to find it off, and then I was literally scrolling thru the posts on this site and it went dark. I am thinking of trying the steps from raygun91 but I was wondering if I should back up my numbers/photos first or if they will stay on the phone after the reset. This is my first smart phone (well in about 5-6 years anyways) and I'm not fully up to date on everything and my "guru" has used up all his data/texts/minutes since he recently moved to a different state lol. Thanks in advance!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hey all, I have had my Droid Maxx for a little over a month and have not had any problems with it. I left it off and powered it up out of the box, reboot it once a day and even charge it whenever I can to try to keep it above 50%. (all from advice from my friend who is a phone/tablet junkie) Last night was the first time I have let the battery completely drain completely to 0.

Hello @ELAYDE. You mentioned that you have a Droid MAXX. Were you aware that you put your post in an older thread (from 2012) for the Droid RAZR MAXX (a completley different phone than the new Droid Maxx)? There is a dedicated thread for the Droid Maxx. You might want to post your question there & you might have better luck with more people seeing it that are familiar with your phone.