New Razr M need help

earlybill1

Reaction score
So I just signed new 2 yr with Verizon and I got the new Razr M (don't know how new they are) but as signing my paperwork she said we'll have to wait while it updates..... I said oh no don't update it she said sorry to late but their phone always updates when they activate them . So maybe I should have tried to get a different M and maybe it won't update if I had it in my hand . Anyway I have the one that got updated and I believe its running jellybean . I know its 4.1.2 is that jellybean. Is there a way to flash back to what it was b4 I'm trying to run foxfi but it says it don't work for 4.1.2 or above. I've found a few things I've downloaded to root it . Can someone send me a link to any thing I can flash or ROMs or anything I can play with . Also what is my M's ROM . I've rooted and played with the Droid X for yrs and its been fun now gotta try a new phone help please thanks

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Phones do not automatically update when you turn them on. You can decline the OTA, she either didn't know that or more likely, lied about it. If she took the latest OTA then you can no longer unlock your bootloader which is a problem because all ROMs now are being developed for unlocked bootloaders only.

You can still root it by using motochopper but you'll need to revert back an upgrade or so. I don't have the links handy but hopefully someone else can drop it here for you. Otherwise I'll check back in later.

OP
E

earlybill1

Reaction score
Phones do not automatically update when you turn them on. You can decline the OTA, she either didn't know that or more likely, lied about it. If she took the latest OTA then you can no longer unlock your bootloader which is a problem because all ROMs now are being developed for unlocked bootloaders only.

You can still root it by using motochopper but you'll need to revert back an upgrade or so. I don't have the links handy but hopefully someone else can drop it here for you. Otherwise I'll check back in later.

Damn that sucks I know she installed the ota update maybe I can take it back for a new one she said I have two wks

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
I don't believe the most recent OTA changed the version number that the phone is on - it was on 4.1.2 before the update also. Any phone that you find in a store to swap it out with will also already come with 4.1.2 installed at this point - you won't find any with 4.0 on them, because they've long been sold (the phone would have had to been manufactured before October of last year in order to ship with 4.0).

If you want to look into rooting your phone, this is the place to start: Motorola Droid RAZR M - xda-developers

Sorry, no specific info on which threads to read in there. I haven't found a reason to root my Razr M yet

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
There were multiple versions of 4.1.2... The latest OTA was still 4.1.2. But it locked the bootloader.

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Tapatalk 4

OP
E

earlybill1

Reaction score
I don't believe the most recent OTA changed the version number that the phone is on - it was on 4.1.2 before the update also. Any phone that you find in a store to swap it out with will also already come with 4.1.2 installed at this point - you won't find any with 4.0 on them, because they've long been sold (the phone would have had to been manufactured before October of last year in order to ship with 4.0).

If you want to look into rooting your phone, this is the place to start: Motorola Droid RAZR M - xda-developers

Sorry, no specific info on which threads to read in there. I haven't found a reason to root my Razr M yet

Great well thanks for all your help....so are you using anything for WiFi tethering , I gotta have something ( I miss my droid X it could really do anything I wanted it to do) and now that I see foxfi won't work what can I use (hope ya know) after I root it will WiFi tether work . I can't wait to root and download all my ROOT apps . Lol . Do ya know if the boot manager pro app will work after I root the M . I've had it b4 on my X plus my Razr Maxx but never could really figure out how to use it the right way ....maybe u can also help with that . Thanks again bro

altimabrahmabull

Reaction score
Why do you want to root the phone? Your phone will work with foxfi. It says so foxfi's app page

OP
E

earlybill1

Reaction score
Why do you want to root the phone? Your phone will work with foxfi. It says so foxfi's app page

No bro it say it won't work for any Razr M on 4.1.2 or above..... but I will try and let ya know. I hope your right but I know I've looked and it says a big fat foxfi NO

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
There were multiple versions of 4.1.2... The latest OTA was still 4.1.2. But it locked the bootloader.

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Tapatalk 4

Yes, but as he stated Foxfi will not work with 4.1.2 period. One of his questions was basically asking if he should return the phone while he's within his alotted return/exchange policy window and hope he gets a phone without 4.1.2. I pointed out that by now, all Razr M phones will ship with 4.1.2 preinstalled so it's not a good idea.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Yes, but as he stated Foxfi will not work with 4.1.2 period. One of his questions was basically asking if he should return the phone while he's within his alotted return/exchange policy window and hope he gets a phone without 4.1.2. I pointed out that by now, all Razr M phones will ship with 4.1.2 preinstalled so it's not a good idea.

Yup, I was responding to the 4.1.2 ROM comment and the bootloader.

To tether use this: It says HD but should work on any rooted RAZR. It may or may not be outdated, but worth a shot..... It's the easiest method. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...azr-hd-maxx-hd-xt926-wireless-usb-ics-jb.html

Neverleft7

Reaction score