razr m vs s3

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
And we are honestly impressed as even Samsung’s most affordable handsets like the Galaxy Mini II are getting bumped up. More advanced phones like last year’s Galaxy S II and mid-rangers like the Ace 2 and the unique pico projector-laden are all there as well. Check out the full list below:

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Galaxy Note 10.1
Galaxy S II
Galaxy Note
Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
Galaxy S Advance
Galaxy S II LTE
Galaxy Music
Galaxy Chat
Galaxy Ace 2
Galaxy Beam
Galaxy Ace Plus
Galaxy Mini II
Galaxy S DUOS

I get mad when I see lists like this of budget and phones I never heard of getting updates further than my at one point "flagship" Motorola.... hopefully Motorola turns around and continues updating their line up as updates are extremely important but I won't be waiting for it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Feature for feature seems like the maxx is a closer match to the S3.

Are you referring to the new Maxx HD? Because I could understand that.

If you're referring to the original Maxx, I don't really understand that thought process to be totally honest. The only thing the original Maxx has over the M is battery size. All other areas, from a spec/feature standpoint, the M wins out: processor, software, nfc/beam, build quality (equal anyway), etc.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Nyguy7

Reaction score
Far from the truth. The S3 will give you all day battery life. Razr M more speed? No way. In a benchmark test the S3 would beat the Razr M in all categories.
I first bought the S3 from wirefly.. Then decided to exchange it for the Razr M. I had both at my home for a few days and did some of my own comparison testing.. What i found was, the Razr M. had far better call quality, build quality, and was easier to hold in the hand. The S3's
display and camera were far better than on the Razr M. I did a side by side comparison on which phone pulled up webpages quicker, and the Razr M, won hands down.. They may be due to "chrome".. As regards to battery life, there's no question that the Razr M's battery lasts a good 30% longer than the S3. i have never in my life made it through a whole day on one battery charge with any smartphone ive ever had, and I did with the razr M! The only thing I miss about the S3, was the display, and the overall appearance of the phone..

klopus

Reaction score
I've got M cause I hate huge phones that dominate Android space and cause many people to stick with iPhones. Basically if you want more or less modern specked Android phone that is easy to hold with one hand and that won't stick out of your pants on Verizon the M is the only game in town. It's still compromised in terms of screen, camera and abysmal audio but otherwise has decent build and specs. Beats me why with Android bigger is always better, I thought it was all about choice. S3 not only was too big for me but it felt too plasticky and flimsy.

Nyguy7

Reaction score
I've got M cause I hate huge phones that dominate Android space and cause many people to stick with iPhones. Basically if you want more or less modern specked Android phone that is easy to hold with one hand and that won't stick out of your pants on Verizon the M is the only game in town. It's still compromised in terms of screen, camera and abysmal audio but otherwise has decent build and specs. Beats me why with Android bigger is always better, I thought it was all about choice. S3 not only was too big for me but it felt too plasticky and flimsy.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this, but i found the s3 to be a pretty solid feeling phone, taking into consideration that its made out of plastic. When i would squeeze it in my hand, it would not squeak or feel as if it was going to crack.. Obviously when a phone is made out of metal, it feels more solid, but
im sure the plastic they use in the samsung is pretty damn tough.. Plus metal phones are prone to denting..

Yufice

Reaction score
slightly derailing here:

I have a galaxy nexus and I love/hate it. I was never happy with the size; I always felt like the iPhone was close to the perfect size, but its screen was way too small.

Everything else about my nexus, I love. I didn't even root it (i've had many other androids and rooted all of them going all the way back to the OG droid), and it's performed as one of the best phones i've owned. I really love how smooth it is, though that's in part to having jelly bean on it (which i think the m already has?).

I've seen the bench marks, but I'm curious how it feels in 'real life'. I want the size of the M so bad, but will i notice/complain about a drop off in performance/smoothness coming from my galnexus?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yufice said:
slightly derailing here:

I've seen the bench marks, but I'm curious how it feels in 'real life'. I want the size of the M so bad, but will i notice/complain about a drop off in performance/smoothness coming from my galnexus?

I went from the og Razr Maxx to the M. I think performance wise the Maxx was as good or better than the gnex in several areas. Camera being the only one where the Razr's pale in comparison. Display may also but have not looked at them side by side to really compare.

I stuck with the M because the display is so much more brighter, crisper, clearer, nicer; because I love the size; because I like the true ICS (now JB), and because for everything I use my phone for the M does it as well or better than the Maxx.

What the M lacks that the Maxx had is hdmi out, front facing camera I think is only 1.3 mp, and smaller internal storage (8gb). I never use hdmi or the front facing camera and with a 32gb sdcard, I have not been limited at all by the smaller 8gb storage... so, for me, the M suits my needs much more than the Maxx.

Depending on the spec differences between the gnex and the M and what you use with your phone, you may have the same conclusions.

Yufice

Reaction score
I went from the og Razr Maxx to the M. I think performance wise the Maxx was as good or better than the gnex in several areas. Camera being the only one where the Razr's pale in comparison. Display may also but have not looked at them side by side to really compare.

I stuck with the M because the display is so much more brighter, crisper, clearer, nicer; because I love the size; because I like the true ICS (now JB), and because for everything I use my phone for the M does it as well or better than the Maxx.

What the M lacks that the Maxx had is hdmi out, front facing camera I think is only 1.3 mp, and smaller internal storage (8gb). I never use hdmi or the front facing camera and with a 32gb sdcard, I have not been limited at all by the smaller 8gb storage... so, for me, the M suits my needs much more than the Maxx.

Depending on the spec differences between the gnex and the M and what you use with your phone, you may have the same conclusions.

Thanks for the info, sounds like good news. I'm not really a photo guy and I have tons of microsds laying around. Does it ever lag when switching home screens or scrolling through apps? It's those little things that really make a phone for me.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I experienced no lag whatsoever on ICS, but I have on occasion since the JB upgrade...Which is always a surprise because for the past year, with the Maxx and the M, any lag has been a foreign experience. I've only had JB for a couple days and experiencing the lag has been infrequent so I'm thinking as apps get updated to be jb optimized and the JB settles in, that will go away.

Some have reported problems with keeping a 3g or 4g connection but so far I've had no problems at all...even since jb.

klopus

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, sounds like good news. I'm not really a photo guy and I have tons of microsds laying around. Does it ever lag when switching home screens or scrolling through apps? It's those little things that really make a phone for me.

98% of the time it doesn't but time to time there could be a delay switching the apps. I think it's more app and Android specific. With JB it got even smoother. But all depends upon how many apps and their size. Remember M has only 8G and of these only like 4G are really available. As always YMMV.

Yufice

Reaction score
just dropped in to say I jumped at it and took home the retail Razr M yesterday

Updated to the jellybean OTA and rooted it and the phone is slick and smooth like a dream. Only time it lagged was when I was really pushing it; installing multiple apps, logging into multiple accts etc. Normal usage it was buttery smooth

Eitan

Reaction score
Hi --
This was last discussed last September. Hoping for some updates. I'm looking at phone deals now -- Razr M is free and Galaxy S3 is about $50. Now that both have been around for a while -- which is better? Am upgrading from a Motorola Global 2 from 2011. I need decent photos and battery life. Any advice is most appreciated!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I can speak for the Razr M as I went from my Maxx to the M then to the N2. The M is an excellent phone, great display, great reception for data and phone and great battery life (battery did as good as my Maxx).

sent from my Note2 using tapatalk 4 beta