Zoosk Dating Service on Notification Bar

reusables

Reaction score
This just started happening two days ago so I'd like to solve it quickly since who knows what's going to happen.

A White Star with a Red Rot inside of it has started to appear in the Notification bar and pull down menu with "Find Local Singles Now" (Try the Free Zoosk Dating App Today!). I'm not sure how it's being activated. I have scanned using Lookout and the new Norton Beta app for viruses and malware. Nothing is being found so I suspect that one of the programs I have (Facebook or TwitCaster) is generating it.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this before it gets out of hand? I'm not single or dating so I would like to get rid of this spam.

Any thoughts?

OP
reusables

reusables

Reaction score
Gadget Bytes

I was able to identify the problem. I've been using Gadget Bytes for a few months. Apparently, they added a "new" feature that was dropped into my phone on the last auto update.

The Dating Service adds that were being dropped into my notification bar on a daily basis were being generated by them (others had left reviews stating the same). This is very unethical and scarey. A trusted app developer allows you to download an app. Down the road, he introduces a spam program during an update. Of course, most people (including me) suspected new downloads. I ran Norton and Lookout and neither program could find the problem.

Stay away from Gadget Bytes...he could have dropped in spyware.

nygiants11991

Reaction score
I was able to identify the problem. I've been using Gadget Bytes for a few months. Apparently, they added a "new" feature that was dropped into my phone on the last auto update.

The Dating Service adds that were being dropped into my notification bar on a daily basis were being generated by them (others had left reviews stating the same). This is very unethical and scarey. A trusted app developer allows you to download an app. Down the road, he introduces a spam program during an update. Of course, most people (including me) suspected new downloads. I ran Norton and Lookout and neither program could find the problem.

Stay away from Gadget Bytes...he could have dropped in spyware.
How were you able to identify the problem? It is getting annoying to have these white stars with a red dot in the middle on my phone daily.

OP
reusables

reusables

Reaction score
Open your notification bar. Select the star...before it redirects you to your browser, it briefly shows you the name of the app it's associated with. It happens fast, but you'll eventually see it, even if it takes you a couple of days. Don't forget to leave a very negative review on the apps Market page to warn others.

Puccini

Reaction score
Thank you for that information, Reusables. I had the same problem, started a discussion here on the Thailand Forum, then searched the web and found your post. In my case, the culprit is Blogger-droid.

OP
reusables

reusables

Reaction score
The Dreaded White Star

Glad I could help. I don't have a problem with developers who use advertising for their free apps, but I strongly object to those who are beginning to use "redirects." Make sure all of you leave very negative comments in the review area before you delete the app. This is the only way we can stop these low-lifestyle!

rokndj

Reaction score
I am having this problem too and dont have the programs you all stated. I have droid wall and have blocked almost all my apps. I have no clue what program is doing it. I have even read all the reviews of my downloaded programs and nothing negative. This is insane....

Puccini

Reaction score
This post in another forum gives information how to block this stealth spam generically, for any application that may be using it:

Android 'Market' app --> Settings --> Google AdMob Ads Preferences --> Uncheck 'Receive interest-based ads' option
See if it works on Motorala's and Verizon's customised versions of Android. On my HTC Desire, running on HTC's Android 2.2, it is

Run Market app > Menu > Settings > deselect Receive interest-based ads

Is it Google and customisers like Motorola, etc. who give us the Android upgrades with that option selected by default? I'll have to remember to verify that setting with every new upgrade.

rokndj

Reaction score
Changing the Market setting did not fix the problem but I FINALLY found the app that was causing my problem.

It is Live Wallpaper Flame Free made by DrHU <<<<< BEWARE!

VinnyPaul

Reaction score
Appears to be anything by DrHU, had the same problem. Looked for the author DrHU and there went the problem when I uninstalled funnyface app. This guy is shady. :icon_evil:

Changing the Market setting did not fix the problem but I FINALLY found the app that was causing my problem.

It is Live Wallpaper Flame Free made by DrHU <<<<< BEWARE!

rokndj

Reaction score
Appears to be anything by DrHU, had the same problem. Looked for the author DrHU and there went the problem when I uninstalled funnyface app. This guy is shady. :icon_evil:

YEP! His gmail address is there. Maybe we should have some fun with him...lol :icon_ banana:

OP
reusables

reusables

Reaction score
Thanks Vinny! Dr Hu really is a slime merchant. I searched his name on the Market and he must easily have between 50 - 100 apps. I wonder if anyone monitors this conversation. Someone needs to have him blocked in the App Market.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have an issue with an app and/or developer, the thing to do is REPORT it via the market system! No one here works directly for Market (that I'm aware of).

support

Reaction score
Opt Out

Hello,

If you recently received an Airpush ad, this came from an application you downloaded that is using our service. Airpush is an advertising network created for Android developers to effectively monetize their free applications.
If you do not wish to support applications with Airpush you can permanently opt-out of receiving our ads by downloading our opt-out app here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.airpush.optout OR please visit out opt-out page: Airpush - Android Ad Network | Push Notification ad network | Mobile Ad network | Android app monetization using this will remove your Android device from our network.

Thanks,
Airpush Support Team

OP
reusables

reusables

Reaction score
Airpush

Thank you for posting the response. If you go to their site, you see an option for a Manual Op-out using the IMEI number on your phone. Verizon does not use this service (IMEI is used for GSM phones) so you have to download the Op-out app, which I hope doesn't cause more harm.

Airpush is like a telemarketing company. Their program allows advertisers to use push technology to automatically upload ad's to your phone which you have no control over. At first, you won't know what hit you. If you're phone is infected by their spam/malware do the following:

1. You'll see the add in your notification bar.
2. After you press the ad icon (I'm familiar with a red dot inside of a star), carefully watch your screen. You'll briefly see the name of the app that the ad is associated with.
3. Delete the app in order to stop the spam.
4. Download the Airpush op-out app. since I'm sure that this will become more prevalent.

I appreciate the opt-out application and reach-out by Airpush, but I believe that we have to send a clear message to Application Developers that we, as Android users, will not tolerate push-ads being sent to our phones.

I understand the need for developers to rely on ad revenue to support their efforts. As a matter of fact, I don't mind the little ads that crawl across the bottom of the app. But, I do mind this type of intrusive application on my device. Airpush has not developed a formal Code of Ethics that I'm aware of and will push any advertisers that contract with them. As a professional, I strongly objected to dating notices in my Notification Bar. I suppose that I should re-phrase that since you don't have to be a professional in order to object to this crap (sorry).

I advise each of you to continue to delete apps that support Airpush followed by strongly worded reviews.