spam in status bar

calguy19

Reaction score
Today there were 2 red stars in my status bar (droid x). Bringing down the status bar and tapping on the entries took me to spam websites. Wasn't a text message, just a direct link to spam website.

Anyone know what's going on, where these are coming from, and how to get rid of it? I did a lookout scan, but found nothing.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They are Air Push ads. Look on the market for Air Push Detector app. It's free and will show you which app(s) is doing it. I like it so I can leave a bad review for garbage ware before I uninstall it. Tunee Music added it withntheir last update but did NOT state so in the whats new or permissions

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
Thanks. I have air push detector. I ran it and it didn't find any apps with the airpush addon. I checked my recent updates and the most suspicious sounding one was ""Music Paradise". I tried launching that again, but it didn't leave anything in the status bar.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They do it on their own, not when the app is launched. Try Add On Detector. It will look for more than just Air Push

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from a Rezound phone via Blue TapaTalk

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
I have that one too. It flags every app that has ads, in my case, hundreds of them. No telling which one of those is responsible, unless you know the actual name of the addon that does that.

skinnus

Reaction score
Mp3 music download...latest update has air push, if your using it...sometimes airpush detector doesn't show it

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have that one too. It flags every app that has ads, in my case, hundreds of them. No telling which one of those is responsible, unless you know the actual name of the addon that does that.

Do you have it narrowed to just show push notification ads?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from a Rezound phone via Blue TapaTalk

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
Yes I did and I checked that. Didn't see anything abnormal - 2 old apps with push ad-ins that have been there all along.

So far, this spam in notificatin bar hasn't repeated.

Can a spammer send you something like that if they know your cell number?

Maybe when I updated an app with adware, it does this at the first launch.

Anybody else seeing this problem?

Last edited:
OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
It did it again this evening. A green star on the status bar. Pull down the status bar and it refers to a free ipad. Tapping on it launches the browser directly to the site: www.forehandmedia.com

whois search of that site is IP 67.228.66.207, domain name is softlayer.com. I talked to tech support there, but he couldn't find that particular domain - may be spoofed.

I can't believe I'm the only one getting this. Has anybody else actually run into this? Nothing suspicious found in my addons detector or airpush detector scans. It's not a text message. How is this thing getting in my phone into my status bar?

I have a few suspects - I keep checking advanced task killer, to see what keeps relaunching and running on their own. Music Paradise and Tunein Radio were both updated recently, and both seem to always be running in the background. Anybody running those (with recent updates) and having a similar problem?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got one the other morning.
It looked like an incoming text or chat from [email protected].
It played a song that I happen to have in my music collection.
I dont have any incoming notifications set to that song, nor do I download any mp3's.
I just deleted it.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
:blink: I got a couple of spams in my status bar as well. i do have MP3 Music Download installed. this is very strange. i will be more vigilant.

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
Sounds like a standard text msg from a spammer, with an attachment. Mine is different - just a green star (same as "favorites" website), with no indication of where it came from, who sent it, or how it got into the notification bar. Yes, I can just delete them, but it still bothers me that some unknown person or app can put stuff like that into my phone, and I have no idea where it is coming from, or how to stop it.

junebugapril

Reaction score
:blink: I got a couple of spams in my status bar as well. i do have MP3 Music Download installed. this is very strange. i will be more vigilant.

Oh geez, I just downloaded that app. Will delete it. Been getting spam in status bar ever since. I hope this gets rid of the spam.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
Oh geez, I just downloaded that app. Will delete it. Been getting spam in status bar ever since. I hope this gets rid of the spam.

i havent had any spam in a while and i still have MP3 Download installed. there was an update to this app a few days ago, i didnt see anything about fixing this issue under the fixes section. i will continue to monitor though.

junebugapril

Reaction score
I had some other "free download mp3" apps. I removed them all last night, and haven't got any spam in the status bar yet. will let you know if I get more.