Zipalign from Liberty tool box

Cstryon

Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forums, and fairly new to droid hacking. I use a droid 2.

I have liberty rom installed and am loving it! I feel....liberated..hah!

I have a problem with zipalign. I try to run it from the Liberty toolbox, and it says processing, but then does nothing. It doesn't freeze, I am able to use my phone and do anything else, but use the toolbox. I've given it ~ 15 minutes to see if it just takes a long time, but it was still 'processing'. I've done this a few times and always end up rebooting after about 15 minutes. Does it take this long, or longer? Do I need to give it a half hour or an hour before I give up? Is there a better way to do it, maybe in terminal? Or maybe a script specifically?
Thanks for the great rom and community! And thanks for any help!

trook

Reaction score
I zipaligned mine last night, it took about 20 minutes. I have 147 apps.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

trook

Reaction score
I read that it basically optimizes them so the system doesn't have to work as hard or use up as much resources to run them. That's the very basic explanation, something about aligning them with 4 data points.... I do know that my phones acted a lot better since I did it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

miketoasty

Reaction score
Zipalign is an archive alignment tool that provides important optimization to Android application (.apk) files. The purpose is to ensure that all uncompressed data starts with a particular alignment relative to the start of the file. Specifically, it causes all uncompressed data within the .apk, such as images or raw files, to be aligned on 4-byte boundaries. This allows all portions to be accessed directly with mmap() even if they contain binary data with alignment restrictions. The benefit is a reduction in the amount of RAM consumed when running the application.

Gotta love google.

OP
C

Cstryon

Reaction score
So I should wait longer than?

Edit: yup that did it, I give 20 ish minutes and it worked. Patients did it :)

Cstryon
Droid 2
OC at low voltage 1.3Ghz
Liberty 1.0 - UD theme
Ghost armour (i recommend it)

Last edited:

troutbeck27

Reaction score
OK I have run this and it says "..... already zipaligned".

However when I plug my D2 into the computer via USB there is nothing in the folder.

Is this normal?

Reaction score
hey, after reading this post I finally gave zipalign a try. I've been on the "processing" screen for like 50 min. any ideas? or should I still wait on it.?