You Will Be Forced Off Unlimited If You Try To Buy A Phone Full Price At A Corporate Verizon Store

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I will be activating a new phone in a few days with my current SIM and current unlimited data plan. I will post back and let you know if anything about my plan changes. It did not change last August when I bought this phone and did the same thing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2121Buck2121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

It would appear that Verizon is trying to do away with us grandfathered unlimited data users once and for all. For the past 3 years I have been buying my phones at full retail price to save my old school Altell plan. This plan gives me 500 minutes to share between myself and my wife, 10 family and friends numbers which are free to call, free calling after 7 and on weekends, unlimited text messages and unlimited data. Many people really wouldn't be able to justify an unlimited data plan, but for my family it is a must. I regularly use 40GB per month while my wife uses nearly 20GB per month. We do nothing abnormal just all the social media, netflix, youtube, and pandora we care to use all without having to worry about a stinking wifi hotspot.

Today I walked into my local Verizon corporate store pretty stoked to be purchasing an LG G4. I literally had my debit card pulled out of my wallet as i walked up to the register. (A little bit of context here I have been buying phones at full retail price now for years. I don't know if the sales reps get a commission off of selling a plan or upgrading a device and get nothing when someone buys a phone retail, but when they see me walk in the store none of them seem happy to see me.) I was already expecting a bit of a struggle. Verizon is the only place that gives me a hard time when trying to hand them cash.

The sales rep that greeted me asked for my number. I gave it to her she pulled up my account and asked if I would be using my upgrade that was available. I told her no in fact I would be buying the phone at full retail cost. Without hesitation she told me the system would automatically kick me off the unlimited plan and force me on another plan even if I bought the phone out right. I told them I wouldn't be interested in losing my unlimited data and they suggested trying to buy my phone from a third party. I called the corporate hotline. They told me that they didn't see any reason why the corporate store would not sell me the phone. They didn't think it would take away my unlimited.

I returned to the store and asked for the manager. I explained to him what the corporate hotline had told me, and he said that we could give it a try, but the last two people who bought a phone outright returned a few days later raising cane because they had been kicked off their unlimited data plan. He said the system didn't show they were being kicked off the data plan, but apparently it had happened automatically when the phones were activated. They were surprised it had happened and they just wanted to make me aware of the situation before i bought a new phone and lost my unlimited data. The only way around this appears to be buying the phone from online and then using your existing sim, or you could buy a phone from a place like bestbuy albiet for an extra $100. I can not find anything official from Verizon stating that they are no longer selling phones at retail in the stores.

Are there any of you still on an unlimited plan? Have you had this same type of experience when trying to buy a phone full retail from a corporate store lately? Please respond with your experiences.
That's what has me worried
I am a current sales rep at Verizon, to answer one question, no we don't really make commission off phones bought at full retail. And as far as the overall question about unlimited data, there have been rumours going around that device only changes will soon kick unlimited data off the account. But as of now this is totally false and nothing is set and stone, the reps most likely just wanted to brush you off so they could make money making a real sale. Poor management in that store looks like to me.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The thing is in the corporate stores, they refuse to bring you your newly purchased phone still in the box, where you can then take it home and swap out the sim and activate it yourself. SOP is for them to activate it in the store with a new sim, which in turn kicks you off unlimited. We experienced the same problem last year when we purchased our 2 S5s outright. I told them to just bring them out and we would activate them. 20 min later they come out with our phones still in the box, but activated with new sim cards. I made sure before we walked out of the door that we still had our unlimited plans. This was a year ago. Seems they are taking it a step further this year. Going forward we'll simply buy our phones from the Verizon website or Best Buys website.

S5 tap'n

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The thing is in the corporate stores, they refuse to bring you your newly purchased phone still in the box, where you can then take it home and swap out the sim and activate it yourself. SOP is for them to activate it in the store with a new sim, which in turn kicks you off unlimited. We experienced the same problem last year when we purchased our 2 S5s outright. I told them to just bring them out and we would activate them. 20 min later they come out with our phones still in the box, but activated with new sim cards. I made sure before we walked out of the door that we still had our unlimited plans. This was a year ago. Seems they are taking it a step further this year. Going forward we'll simply buy our phones from the Verizon website or Best Buys website.

S5 tap'n
I remember buying an iphone 5 on release day and telling them not to open the box (I was reselling it) and having to explain to them that if they open the box I would not be paying and would turn around and leave... they brought the box or set it in front of me.... I paid used the upgrade and left. sales rep seemed a little miffed.

I proceeded to double my money the next day

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They looked at me like I was nuts once when I left 2-step authentication on and went to upgrade. This was before you could bypass any of the setup. The rep asked me if I'd enter my info and I told him, "No I can't. I have 2-step authentication enabled on my Google account and didn't generate a one-time password before coming here. I'll just set it up when I get home." Idk if he just didn't know wtf 2-step was or was that upset that he couldn't do his thing with my phone, but he didn't seem to like it one bit.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This writing has been on the wall for a LONG time now. Doesn't surprise me at all if this is legit. Reps at my local store were always quite helpful when I still had unlimited data. Taking the option to leave it away in order to sell the phone will take the responsibility off of their hands and get more people off of these plans.

Like others have said, I'm wondering what happens if you buy a phone elsewhere and activate it on the line. Now that they're using Sim cards, it might not be as big of a deal, but I'm sure they can tell when the Sim's in another phone. Will be interesting to see what happens going forward as people try to upgrade.

If the system can trigger to force you off of an unlimited plan in-store, who's to say that it can't trigger to drop you off of it when you activate a phone from somewhere else. All they'd really have to do is dump your UD plan, call/text/email you and tell you that you're paying per GB because your data plan is no longer valid and "Please contact us to select a data plan that's right for you."

When I bought my G Watch, it was on sale for $99 on VZW's website, so I went to the store to see if I could just get one there that day. It wouldn't ring up for the discounted price and the guy couldn't do anything to change the price, even though he looked it up on their website and saw that it was being offered there at that price.

I'm wondering how things will go in my area. The Corporate VZW store closed down and we only have a "Premium Retailer" now. They're building a brand new store.

Exactly, we all saw this coming. People who think they can keep 4 year old Unlimited plans forever, are not being very realistic...

They sold Unlimited when there wasn't much data to use... Now people are trying to use their phone for everything and sucking up 50-100GB per month, which is insane. If you need that much data on a phone, there is probably a 12-step program out there with your name on it. LOL

It's all about data today, and they can't keep giving it away for free, or nearly free... So just get used to the idea...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There's a reason why they gave me unlimited minutes when I dropped my unlimited data plan. They know the score. I use like 30-50 minutes a month. My cycle ends on the 4th and I'm just over 3GB of data usage of my 4 (+1 promotional) GB a month.

On the other hand, I've used around 15GB of data via wifi on my phone.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Exactly, we all saw this coming. People who think they can keep 4 year old Unlimited plans forever, are not being very realistic...

They sold Unlimited when there wasn't much data to use... Now people are trying to use their phone for everything and sucking up 50-100GB per month, which is insane. If you need that much data on a phone, there is probably a 12-step program out there with your name on it. LOL

It's all about data today, and they can't keep giving it away for free, or nearly free... So just get used to the idea...

actually it's completely realistic to assume that if I NEVER ask them to change my plan and I signed a contract with them that then I should be allowed to remain on UD until such a time as I utilize one of their ridiculous upgrade options. Should I never use said options they should NEVER take away my unlimited data

as for needing that much data on a phone? who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't use my phone for? I drive alot, and when driving I stream google play music, I pay $7.99 a month to stream unlimited music to my devices (phone, tablet, computer etc...) UNLIMITED MUSIC!!! as much as I can possibly listen to. I'm driving, there's no local wifi hotspot in the middle of I-5 I can connect to and stream my music. My phone doesn't have enough space to download all the music I listen to. so.. unlimited data solves this.

as for giving it away? the hell they can't, the throughput of data today is WAY higher than it was 10 years ago, the whole idea that because more people are using it there's less to go around is false, there's actually more to go around because they upgrade the systems constantly with 4G then the Xlte etc etc.... they are increasing their data capacity exponentially and yet charging us more and more... why? because they know they can make money on it and frankly it's a disgusting practice.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

Are we really having this debate again? I always look for these posts on DF, as they seem to appear whenever a thread regarding Unlimited data appears.

50GB / month may seem like a lot now, but will it seem like a lot 5 years from now? Who knows, but I highly doubt it. Things are changing so fast, that by the time 2020 comes around, Verizon may have plans that begin at 10 Gigs per month at the same price point that 2 GB has now, because data is relevant to the consumer who has a smartphone. The more relevant it becomes, the better services from T-Mobile will look (ref: unlimited data).

Also, smartphones are becoming smarter. Every iteration of device improves on the CPU and memory (but fails with the battery and storage space, but that's another comment). Yes, I want to use my phone for everything, because it's my primary Internet enabled computer. If this is my primary device, then Unlimited data makes financial sense.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree with @liftedplane. (Seems like this discussion pops up every month) SMH It gets me how quick people are to judge others for how they use THEIR unlimited data. We all use our devices differently. Just because one person barely uses 2gb a month doesn't mean we should all use that much, let alone "ration" what we do use. We have kept our unlimited plans for a reason and we've purchased our devices outright in order to do so.
I stream music & podcasts ALL day at work....we're not allowed to use company WiFi for personal use, which is fine with me since I wouldn't use it even if we were allowed. I also watch (on average) 15-20 gig a month worth of YouTube. Which equates to about 45 min a day, which isn't much imo. The point is, it adds up quick and carrier's know that and that's why they want to profit from it, not because its negatively impacting their network. I refuse to use public unsecured WiFi ANYWHERE. Why should I when I have a solid 4G signal with an unlimited plan?
That said, if Verizon wants to do away with it for good than so be it, I'm sure I'll survive and find an alternate option. Until that day comes, viva unlimited!
Great comment @akhenax,...I thought the same thing...."here we go again". lol

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If they'd spend some of their huge profits and actually build out the network to where we have comparable speeds to those in Europe and Asia, we could burn through even more data...and faster!! ...wait..where was I going with this..huh...getting old and forgetting what I'm saying...

Oh..the thing you have to remember about kings is....Dr.pepper .

CKD2

Reaction score
Does anyone know what a good alternative is to Verizon UD?
Does AT&T have any 30GB or higher plans?
I mean, those of us that use a lot more data than the general user, shouldn't have to pay $1000 for our lifestyle. Personally, I don't own a TV. My life is online. I'm out of the house from 7am til 9pm most days, and about 80% of that time I'm not near WiFi.
I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for extra data once I'm off unlimited, but jeez, don't gouge me or force me to change my lifestyle.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Does anyone know what a good alternative is to Verizon UD?
Does AT&T have any 30GB or higher plans?
I mean, those of us that use a lot more data than the general user, shouldn't have to pay $1000 for our lifestyle. Personally, I don't own a TV. My life is online. I'm out of the house from 7am til 9pm most days, and about 80% of that time I'm not near WiFi.
I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for extra data once I'm off unlimited, but jeez, don't gouge me or force me to change my lifestyle.

AT&T, Note 4, 2 year contract, 50GB of data:
Screenshot_2015-07-31-17-07-20.png