You Will Be Forced Off Unlimited If You Try To Buy A Phone Full Price At A Corporate Verizon Store

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It would appear that Verizon is trying to do away with us grandfathered unlimited data users once and for all. For the past 3 years I have been buying my phones at full retail price to save my old school Altell plan. This plan gives me 500 minutes to share between myself and my wife, 10 family and friends numbers which are free to call, free calling after 7 and on weekends, unlimited text messages and unlimited data. Many people really wouldn't be able to justify an unlimited data plan, but for my family it is a must. I regularly use 40GB per month while my wife uses nearly 20GB per month. We do nothing abnormal just all the social media, netflix, youtube, and pandora we care to use all without having to worry about a stinking wifi hotspot.

Today I walked into my local Verizon corporate store pretty stoked to be purchasing an LG G4. I literally had my debit card pulled out of my wallet as i walked up to the register. (A little bit of context here I have been buying phones at full retail price now for years. I don't know if the sales reps get a commission off of selling a plan or upgrading a device and get nothing when someone buys a phone retail, but when they see me walk in the store none of them seem happy to see me.) I was already expecting a bit of a struggle. Verizon is the only place that gives me a hard time when trying to hand them cash.

The sales rep that greeted me asked for my number. I gave it to her she pulled up my account and asked if I would be using my upgrade that was available. I told her no in fact I would be buying the phone at full retail cost. Without hesitation she told me the system would automatically kick me off the unlimited plan and force me on another plan even if I bought the phone out right. I told them I wouldn't be interested in losing my unlimited data and they suggested trying to buy my phone from a third party. I called the corporate hotline. They told me that they didn't see any reason why the corporate store would not sell me the phone. They didn't think it would take away my unlimited.

I returned to the store and asked for the manager. I explained to him what the corporate hotline had told me, and he said that we could give it a try, but the last two people who bought a phone outright returned a few days later raising cane because they had been kicked off their unlimited data plan. He said the system didn't show they were being kicked off the data plan, but apparently it had happened automatically when the phones were activated. They were surprised it had happened and they just wanted to make me aware of the situation before i bought a new phone and lost my unlimited data. The only way around this appears to be buying the phone from online and then using your existing sim, or you could buy a phone from a place like bestbuy albiet for an extra $100. I can not find anything official from Verizon stating that they are no longer selling phones at retail in the stores.

Are there any of you still on an unlimited plan? Have you had this same type of experience when trying to buy a phone full retail from a corporate store lately? Please respond with your experiences.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If you bought a phone online or at a big box retailer, would it work the same way when you activate the new phone? I would think VZW's system would just see a new device and zap your plan.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what has me worried

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It's like VZW saying don't buy from us which makes no sense..

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I bought my S6 outright to keep my unlimited data. I dealt with several sales associates before actually buying the phone. I went in several times to ask about my options and none of them gave me any problems. I ended up buying it mid June.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm still using my Note 2 and it's about time to upgrade, I have one line that doesn't have unlimited that I'm tempted to use the upgrade for, except it will force that line to have data (it's currently an old school flip phone) and doesn't need data.

so... use the upgrade pay the $30 a month for data... or buy the phone outright somewhere else.... I'm sitting at 20gb in about 2 weeks.... I don't tether often, only when my internet is down, I just watch alot of netflix and youtube and I'm always streaming google play music.

it seems like Verizon is going to push us off unlimited eventually... I will definitely be porting my number out.

what about this option.... but a phone on contract.... wait a month then cancel said line pay the ETF... that's pretty much the same price as buying it outright isn't it? $299 for the phone $50ish for the plan and $350 for the ETF..... $799....

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Bought my Droid Turbo outright as well, but this was back in April so things may have changed since. Still on grandfathered plan, I hope the same for you. I'd ask other corporate locations for reassurance.

EsreVinu

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note Edge
I upgraded to a Droid 4 with 4g LTE literally 2 days before all these new plans came out,... used it for a long while, and frequently received phone calls from Verizon Reps asking me if Id like to switch to their new plan. Around 5 months ago, I used some of the tax return to finally upgrade, and went in to buy a new phone. I was going to go with an S6, but the guy said they happened to have one Edge left, so I jumped on it. When he started to mess with my plan and talk about upgrades, it took me 3 explanations and 2 other sales reps to get them all to understand that I was payin CASH, outright, and that I would RAISE HELLFIRE and BRIMSTONE if they changed my plan. This eventually went to a manager level, and I was reassured that they would NOT change my plan. Still grandfathered with unlimited 4g and hotspot/tethering.

AT&T was recently sued heavily over some unlimited plans stuff, and I think verizon is starting to get a little defensive about the issue. Legally, verizon isn't allowed to change your plan unless you fail to make payment or fall into their "upgrade" schemes,... but I have a feeling their legal department has been neck deep in contracts trying to subvert any contractual obligations that are in OUR favor,...

The thing that gets me about what you were told, is that buying a new phone shouldnt have any effect on your contract at all if youre paying outright,... Ive switched my sim card between multiple older phones while testing ROMs and such with no issues what so ever. Even if for some reason you need a new SIM card, that shouldnt in ANY way effect any changes to your account and plan, its just a card lol. I find it very odd, and some what frightening.

Not to call out employees or any thing,... but I wonder if that "accident" was a part of some "bonus" for "signing people on to new EDGE plans".... they were VERY offended when I told them that I dont like the idea of paying for my phone and increasing my monthly bill over it, and that I use at least 200 Gb of data monthly between all the apps, music and netflix. Oh, and the reps still call me 2x a months asking if I'd like to switch to one of their new plans LOL!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have 4 lines that are unlimited... 1 dummy line..and I've been sitting and waiting...watching what drops..so far nothing so awesome I want to drop my turbo or note edge..

I use one of the 4 lines to generate a hotspot for stuff...only because the WiFi services down here are a joke.

On possible for way to check.. Have an extra phone laying around? Activate it and see what happens?? Idk..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I was told the same thing at my Verizon store. If I buy the phone in the store, when they ring it up their system will dump the unlimited plan and force the rep to pick a new plan. If I buy it elsewhere and activate it myself the system does nothing. It sounds similar to what they told you. It sounds like their system is setup to make the sales rep pick a plan at the time of purchase. Seems silly to me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm calling shenanigans on your VZW store. I think they screwed two customers, and were set to screw you too. Just buy it from the website at full retail.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I am seriously considering jumping from Verizon come March once my other lines are up. may just do month to month till best deal comes around for no contracts

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm calling shenanigans on your VZW store. I think they screwed two customers, and were set to screw you too. Just buy it from the website at full retail.
I tend to agree with you. The way she explained it to me was the way their "checkout system" works is that they "have to" pick a data plan at the time of purchase. I think that is not true. And you are correct, if you buy it on their website you do not have to pick a data plan....you just pay for it and wait for shipping. I just bought a brand new phone on Swappa last night and will activate it myself with my current SIM. It was $75.00 cheaper than in the store.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This writing has been on the wall for a LONG time now. Doesn't surprise me at all if this is legit. Reps at my local store were always quite helpful when I still had unlimited data. Taking the option to leave it away in order to sell the phone will take the responsibility off of their hands and get more people off of these plans.

Like others have said, I'm wondering what happens if you buy a phone elsewhere and activate it on the line. Now that they're using Sim cards, it might not be as big of a deal, but I'm sure they can tell when the Sim's in another phone. Will be interesting to see what happens going forward as people try to upgrade.

If the system can trigger to force you off of an unlimited plan in-store, who's to say that it can't trigger to drop you off of it when you activate a phone from somewhere else. All they'd really have to do is dump your UD plan, call/text/email you and tell you that you're paying per GB because your data plan is no longer valid and "Please contact us to select a data plan that's right for you."

When I bought my G Watch, it was on sale for $99 on VZW's website, so I went to the store to see if I could just get one there that day. It wouldn't ring up for the discounted price and the guy couldn't do anything to change the price, even though he looked it up on their website and saw that it was being offered there at that price.

I'm wondering how things will go in my area. The Corporate VZW store closed down and we only have a "Premium Retailer" now. They're building a brand new store.