You Will Be Forced Off Unlimited If You Try To Buy A Phone Full Price At A Corporate Verizon Store

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What did I miss? Who is giving away free candy? Just kidding. But excellent points by everyone, this topic always seems to become a passionate discussion.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
It isn't about how much I use. It is about the business model changing, you guys have been lucky enough to collect a bonus as long as you have, but it will come to an end. Expecting to get the same unlimited data plan that you got in 2007, when that data plan WAS the top priced plan, is unrealistic in 2015. Now you are paying for the 2GB plan and getting 50GB+ per month. Awesome if you can get it, but EXPECTING it is unrealistic in the long term...

I would love for cars and motorcycles to cost the same as I paid 10 years ago, but it just isn't gonna happen.

We used to pay $15 a month for home internet, but those days are gone. Cable TV used to be $25 a month... no more...

We also know that many of the complainers, are people who use their phone as a wifi hotspot for other devices... hence when every new version of the OS comes out, those same people are the first ones to ask if the wifi hotspot hacks still work before they upgrade... LOL

I don't care how much you use. If you are that guy with your nose glued to your phone 24/7 and you use 50GB a month, what do I care?

It's the carriers that care, which is why they are killing off these old plans that they haven't sold in years, but that you have still gotten to enjoy all this time. Frankly, I would be thankful that you got to keep it this long...
Someone here I see is envious of the people who have unlimited, that's the way I read it.

Reactions: cr6

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Someone here I see is envious of the people who have unlimited, that's the way I read it.
I don't think envious, just presenting the opposing ideas regarding unlimited data and the reality that business models change over time

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm in error here but what I read wasn't so much about unlimited data but the folly of the sense of entitlement to it , the basis for every time these threads end up getting whacked when someone gets their panties in a huff over a view point that differs from their own.
So far this one has been pretty good at staying in bounds and not going off the rails.
Thanks folks for keeping it cordial and respectful

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
………..as for giving it away? the hell they can't, the throughput of data today is WAY higher than it was 10 years ago, the whole idea that because more people are using it there's less to go around is false, there's actually more to go around because they upgrade the systems constantly with 4G then the Xlte etc etc.... they are increasing their data capacity exponentially and yet charging us more and more... why? because they know they can make money on it and frankly it's a disgusting practice.

That's it in a nutshell. There's no issue with the volume of data available, however, with nearly everyone now owning a smartphone, and actually using them, Verizon see's real profit in charging for data use. we've seen it come full circle, as others have mentioned. From paying for minutes and/or texts, with data being given away for free. To the opposite now. Netflix, Youtube, various music sources, all excellent time passers and they all use data at various levels. So yes, it's all about the profit derived from data packages, and moving each individual or family group to the next higher (more profitable) level to keep up with their usage.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell. There's no issue with the volume of data available, however, with nearly everyone now owning a smartphone, and actually using them, Verizon see's real profit in charging for data use. we've seen it come full circle, as others have mentioned. From paying for minutes and/or texts, with data being given away for free. To the opposite now. Netflix, Youtube, various music sources, all excellent time passers and they all use data at various levels. So yes, it's all about the profit derived from data packages, and moving each individual or family group to the next higher (more profitable) level to keep up with their usage.
I remember when this conversation used to be "texts" instead of "data". It was almost word for word in many aspects. Even when they offered unlimited for $20 a month there were those touting it being a rip off, which it truly was. If carriers capped our text usage now?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
What did I miss? Who is giving away free candy? Just kidding. But excellent points by everyone, this topic always seems to become a passionate discussion.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

No passion here, just common sense. I voluntarily gave up my unlimited a couple years ago.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm in error here but what I read wasn't so much about unlimited data but the folly of the sense of entitlement to it , the basis for every time these threads end up getting whacked when someone gets their panties in a huff over a view point that differs from their own.
So far this one has been pretty good at staying in bounds and not going off the rails.
Thanks folks for keeping it cordial and respectful

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Bingo.

Don't we all wish they still offered Unlimited data for $30 in 2015? LOL

Sure, but they haven't offered it in years, and the people still on the old plans, which are very few, have done so by spending 3x the cost for their new phones, so in the end, the cost savings probably has not been as huge as they think it has...

On top of that, the people that start whining about losing unlimited, are likely the ones abusing it in the first place... the ones that root and use a hotspot method in violation of the contract they had signed originally, to provide internet to their homes, PS4, laptop and other devices, etc..

I understand not wanting to give up their loophole, but it isn't reasonable to expect it to last forever... What I resent is the idea that they are entitled to it... The way I see it, they got a freebie for a few years. But pretending to be outraged when the gravy train eventually comes to a halt, seems a bit intellectually dishonest to me, or at the least, very immature and naive...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I remember when this conversation used to be "texts" instead of "data". It was almost word for word in many aspects. Even when they offered unlimited for $20 a month there were those touting it being a rip off, which it truly was. If carriers capped our text usage now?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Funny, I remember being limited to 250 texts. Makes you wonder what the next tech feature on our phones will be that will have a price tag. It would be nice if Verizon did offer an unlimited data plan at a reasonable price. Maybe that will be come to be some day. There are too many variables in how people use their phones to believe that one option fits all.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

But it is not just profit. The amount of bandwidth required and the infrastructure to provide it today, is staggering. And it is constantly being upgraded, and more and more people are living their virtual lives on their cell phones and soaking up massive amounts of data.

That isn't cheap. There is a constant investment in infrastructure on the part of VZW and it never stops... by the time VoLTE is full deployed across their entire network, they will start upgrading to 5G or whatever...

It never ends... Unlimited, when it started, was on 3G and smartphones had nowhere near the saturation point that they had today, and neither was the content... Now, EVERYONE has a cell phone and they spend more time on it than they do interacting with the real people around them... People put more time, effort and content in their social media personas, than they do into their own lives and relationships it seems. They spend more time watching videos and viewing other people's lives, then they do living their own...

Unlimited in the 3G days, meant a few GB a month, maybe some people really pushing the envelope and abusing it and hitting 20GB...

So $30 for that 3G Unlimited made sense... Today, it doesn't.

If any of us, even the ones demanding Unlimited, were running a company like VZW, none of us would be offering unlimited data for $30 today.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Funny, I remember being limited to 250 texts. Makes you wonder what the next tech feature on our phones will be that will have a price tag. It would be nice if Verizon did offer an unlimited data plan at a reasonable price. Maybe that will be come to be some day. There are too many variables in how people use their phones to believe that one option fits all.

How is it one option fits all? They have all sorts of tiers and price points...

The only reason to have Unlimited today, is if you are tethering and using massive amounts of data on other devices... How much data can you really use on your phone?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I understand your position @squiresSCA. I, for one, would love to have my family's 4 lines on one unlimited plan. Kids away at college, or kids moving to a new area, situations change, I find myself traveling many miles for work and need GPS & streaming music more... It would be nice to have one shared unlimited plan that I don't have to always worry & monitor data usage. It may cost much more than what I'm paying now but may be worth it.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand your position @squiresSCA. I, for one, would love to have my family's 4 lines on one unlimited plan. Kids away at college, or kids moving to a new area, situations change, I find myself traveling many miles for work and need GPS & streaming music more... It would be nice to have one shared unlimited plan that I don't have to always worry & monitor data usage. It may cost much more than what I'm paying now but may be worth it.

Well sure, but there is no carrier that is going to offer an Unlimited data plan, shared no less for your entire family, for a cheap price. LOL

We wish!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Lol @squiresSCA... but I like to dream big, lol!