yet another "droid does" story

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm currently tethering my desktop using PDANet while our building's internet is down. I work in a small office with 9 other people and we rely on the internet a LOT for viewing client accounts, etc. EVERY single one of them has an iPhone, and EVERY single one of them is jealous and unproductive right now.

:)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ha ha, I always like these stories too, but I wonder if I would do the same? I think hey, it's their internet it's their problem.

Still have fun showing off. :)

Diordna

Reaction score
Dude that's awesome haha if you had wifi tethering would it help everyone in the office get internet?
Or does it not work like that, wifi wise?

Taegost

Reaction score
I'm currently tethering my desktop using PDANet while our building's internet is down. I work in a small office with 9 other people and we rely on the internet a LOT for viewing client accounts, etc. EVERY single one of them has an iPhone, and EVERY single one of them is jealous and unproductive right now.

:)

If you had it rooted, you could use WiFi tethering so everyone could be productive... and make them even *more* jealous :)
I've actually got 2 converts at work already, one is thinking about trading in his Blackberry, and the other is debating between the Droid (bogo for his wife, too) or just getting himself the Incredible :)
I've been showing them how easy it is to change kernels and ROMs with ROM Manager as I play around with it to find the best combination (Which I have finally settled on!). And especially after today when I showed them my Quadrant benchmark muahahahahaaha!

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am rooted with wifi, but we're all on desktops without wireless adapters. :)

Flowah

Reaction score
I feel guilty about using my Droid. Allow me to explain.

Since I bought mine at launch, 3 of my friends have bought one as well. Naturally, they were curious about the cellphone, it slides out so instead of looking like just another touch screen smartphone or another Blackberry, it's a little more unique. They ask me what I'm doing, I tell them. When someone needs something, like a map, or directions, or an app that does something, and the fact that I am thoroughly connected through gmail, gvoice, gtalk. That I can wirelessly tether my phone, overlcock, blah blah. And with the themes/new launchers out there, it looks nice too.

So basically they see the capabilities of the phone after modifications by the user. And of course it's an attractive phone with a nice looking theme and UI. Fast, very customizable, pretty to look at, extremely functional, connected, reliable and they see how productive I am with it and so they bought one. But a lot of that I think is because of MY dedication in looking for ways to do what I want with it. My friends are still not rooted. I have offered to show them how. But after I explain the thought of keeping current with rom updates and such, it just becomes a hassle for them, one they don't want to do.

So they bought a phone which probably fulfills their needs, but could do so much more. I feel like I bait and switched. Here's a phone with X capability, but only if you really know how to use it! And of course they don't.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Fun/Sad little story: Was recently on a roadtrip with my dad. He loves the internet even though he is pretty bad at it. I have to clean his laptop of spyware and viruses pretty often, he still doesn't understand the concept of not clicking "ok" for every file download popup. Of course in the car, I wirelessly tethered my laptop to my Droid and had internet. Whee. He is astounded. He is still using a w580i from SE. He wants a Droid now. I let him play around with mine for a little bit. It dawns on him that it's harder to use than a computer and also that the screen is smaller and generally, so is the font. (His eyes aren't that great). Pretty much gave up on the whole smartphone ownership thing right there. I just feel bad that he loves tech so much but can't use it.

Last edited:

xfireguru

Reaction score
I currently have the whole sales desk online through my wireless tether while our internet is down from a lightening strike. It's pretty cool, actually.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk