Yet another Droid DOES story

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by mossostdrauka, Feb 27, 2010.

1. mossostdrauka

mossostdrauka Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I work at Lowe's and I run the Appliance Department in my store and wanted to get a little more tech friendly there. After all three of us in that department own Droids! So I suggested to my boss that we start adding QR barcodes that will link each item directly to our website version of that item.

He looked at me like I was speaking gibberish. I told him that I would bring him an example the next day. So that night I quickly made a few barcodes and slapped them on our signage the next day. I explained it to him again... this time showing him how my phone scanned the barcode and how it took me to our webpage with all the pertinent item info and his jaw dropped.

He immediately took me to his boss, where I repeated the process. And yet again jaw dropping eye popping amazement. Shuffled once more on to my District Manager, who happened to be there that day, repeat and amaze. I was asked to formalize my idea to Lowe's and see if we can get this off ground. When they asked how this was all possible... I simple stated: "Droid DOES!"

So
    QR barcodes - five minutes online
    Scotch tape - $2

Letting my bosses think my Droid DOES Magic - Priceless

2. BlazinCaucasian

BlazinCaucasian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats awesome maybe the Droid will get you a raise out of this :icon_ banana:

3. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice, I'll be on the look out for QR codes at my local Lowe's in the future.

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7

Great story. Let's hope now Lowe's does and gives you a proper reward for coming up with a great idea.:icon_ banana:

5. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +163
    Great idea and excellent suggestion and sure glad Lowes liked your idea....maybe some extra $$ for the suggestion too!

6. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha ... when the Droid doesn't the world will stop turning.

7. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Awesome idea! And kudos to you for actually taking the initiative to bring it to "the man" Hopefully you are rewarded graciously. If nothing else, maybe the company will start paying for your phones, since after all, they'll be a sales tool!

8. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I sell appliances too at Sears, and I fail to see how this is anything more than a gimick. I don't get how you would use that at all? Are you going hand the customer your phone so they can look at reviews, specs, dimensions, etc...

The only time I use the internet at work is if we are going to price match or if they want something I don't have a display model of.

Please explain how you are using this.

9. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

Ratings:
    +2
    His boss obviously sees some value in the idea, since they asked him to formalize his proposal.

10. MrTommy

MrTommy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    They were obviously amazed at the technology. Now, whether they actually find any real value in it remains to be seen. But I love showing off my phone to anyone who'll listen and look. So far, my experience with Droid barcode readers is somewhat spotty. Sometimes they work and sometimes, well, you know.

11. GerryG35

GerryG35 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe everyone doesn't shop with a barcode scanner in hand yet - but I and several friends do. I think it's an idea that will catch on as more smartphones are purchased and it's things like this that will increase their use.

Anyway, great story mossostdrauka.

12. KevinJ

KevinJ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think he's going to hand his phone to a customer. It is for customers who have smartphones to be able to get more information on a product they are looking at, and perhaps for later reference.

It's funny, but we just bought a clothes washer and a refrigerator at Lowes a few weeks ago, and I used my phone to go to their website to look up more information on the product. I bookmarked those pages until we got home, and then we did more research before we came back and purchased. So for a customer like me, it's a great idea.

I'll not comment too much about Sears except to say their lying and cheating ways at my local store put us off buying from them ever.:mad:

13. mossostdrauka

mossostdrauka Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The big draw is that the alot of the first time home buyers in the market right now are the younger generation. Almost everyone of them that I deal with carries a phone capable of reading these barcodes with the proper app. I now rarely deal with customers who aren't "shopping around" , so if i can give them access to any info on the item they want easily why wouldn't I strive for it. Honestly the one thing about our big appliance stores that bothers me is lack of transparency when it comes to the shopping experience. I don't sell my appliances without offering to check a competitors price.

My personal goal... in this info-centric age... get all the info in a customers hands and let them make their decision. Hopefully my willingness to keep them informed will keep them shopping at Lowe's.

Either way... good selling to you Grey Hawk!

14. thebourbonnflip

thebourbonnflip Member

Ratings:
    +0
    now im going to do the same thing with menards..lol (jk i dont work there)

15. mossostdrauka

mossostdrauka Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ha.... that would be great! I would love it though if EVERYONE did this. Talk about making my shopping life easier. My Battery might hate me though!

(Oh and for those not familiar with Menards... Think Lowe's or Home Depot, with groceries and Dvds)