WoW and PDANet

porkYcain

Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts about this subject, but still have not found any information that can help me. I'm on a Droid X using USB tethering via PDANet and find it impossible to play WoW and other similar MMOs. The weird thing is, I can play Team Fortress 2, World of Tanks and Eve Online just fine with around 200ms. Granted, not that great, but still playable.

While playing WoW, I start off at about 150ms and slowly go up to about 5000+ms. It just gets progressively worse and worse. Checking the tether data while playing shows it going EXTREMELY slow compared to while in use doing other things besides WoW. Does anyone know something I could do to fix this? It just doesn't seem like it's working correctly.

FYI, all Firewalls and Malware protection programs are off on computer. On phone, I have manually shut down all background apps and turned off Background Data. (Even though the stupid apps keeping opening themselves up. Like ones I don't even use EVER)

Here's my speedtest score. Slow yes, but it still plays most games except WoW, Rift and other like MMOs.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

porkYcain

Reaction score
No one else has/ has had this problem?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Almost sounds like you are getting throttled by the gaming server.

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
My suggestion is to narrow it down by getting a laptop with wow and going around to say a coffee shop and start tethering to see of it is location because the closer you are to a cell tower your data rate goes up and try different public places if it doesn't change you know it is the game server. I don't play wow but if it allows dedicated servers try one near you to lower ping. I play black ops on Xbox with wifi tether and it works fine 4 bars no noticable lag.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Abadus

Reaction score
I tethered Aion once and it played just fine even running Vent. From my house I get 2mb download speeds with my phone though. .8mb might not be enough. I think you need around 1-1.5mb for good gaming.

At the time I only had 3mb internet. Usually got around 2mb and if my wife did anything on another computer I would lag like crazy.

I now have 12mb internet and lovin every minuet of it.