? about WIFI hotspot and Xbox

Uprangewilly

Reaction score
I got my droid about a month ago and its my first smart phone and im still trying to figure alot of things out about it. This forum has answered alot of my questions but Im having trouble understanding how the WIFI hotspot works. Now I know that the Droid 1 is not able to produce a WIFI hotspot, at least according to moto, but the DX and the D2 are capable.

I currently use my phone to tether using PDAnet and I also use ICS to get on Xbox live but IF I had a phone that was capable of having a 3G hotspot how does the Xbox hook up to it? I mean if you turn on the hotspot does your Xbox automatically detect the WIFI signal and will it just connect through WIFI without doing anything else? Currently when I use PDAnet to get on Xbox live it has NAT of moderate. If I was to use a WIFI hotspot would it have an open NAT?

And I know, its not good to be playing xbox live through tethering but I have no other option at my home other than dial-up. And I dont abuse it, I have only used 2Gb in the 1 month since I have been using tethering.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if you root your droid you will have the ability to create a wifi hotspot.

i connected mine once to my xbox just to see if it would actually work. It did but the lag was pretty bad.

OP
U

Uprangewilly

Reaction score
I see. After reading a ton of posts I was under the impression that if I root I could tether with WIFI. I did not realize that you could also do a hotspot if rooted. I'm still learning about rooting, i'm a little reluctant to do it just cause I dont know enough about it to give it a shot but with the new one step rooting APP out now I may give it a try.

I have been waiting to see what was going to happen when FROYO rolled out in hopes that they would add it but it sounds like its not going to be an option for the Droid 1.

When I use PDAnet to tether with my USB I rarely get any lag on MW2. I assume if you tether through WIFI live will lag more than with a USB. I'm just curious more than anything. Even if I could WIFI tether I probably would just use the USB unless I could get an open NAT and there wasnt any noticable lag. Thanks.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
I see. After reading a ton of posts I was under the impression that if I root I could tether with WIFI. I did not realize that you could also do a hotspot if rooted. I'm still learning about rooting, i'm a little reluctant to do it just cause I dont know enough about it to give it a shot but with the new one step rooting APP out now I may give it a try.

I have been waiting to see what was going to happen when FROYO rolled out in hopes that they would add it but it sounds like its not going to be an option for the Droid 1.

When I use PDAnet to tether with my USB I rarely get any lag on MW2. I assume if you tether through WIFI live will lag more than with a USB. I'm just curious more than anything. Even if I could WIFI tether I probably would just use the USB unless I could get an open NAT and there wasnt any noticable lag. Thanks.

Uh, wifi tether = wifi hotspot. I don't believe that there is a difference.

OP
U

Uprangewilly

Reaction score
I thought you could only tether one device at a time with the rooted WIFI tether, I didnt realize you could hook up multiple devices. Thanks.