WinMo to Droid Questions

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
I am all but sold on the Droid. I have one major concern and some other basic questions.

First, I started with a new company that has their computers locked down pretty tight. I cannot install anything on my laptop. That said, it is a necessity that I be able to sync my phone with my Outlook calendar. I currently am able to do this with Windows Mobile Device Center over bluetooth. USB connection does not work because the drivers are not allowed to install. Given that, would their be any way to sync the Droid with my calendar? I have tried to install Google Cal Sync and other similar programs, but none will install due to my privileges, or lack there of. Is there any alternative? The company uses an Exchange server that they will only connect to company issued BBs and I do not need to carry two phones.

Second, most of what I have read about the Droid has been great. The no dialing over a bluetooth headset is a really short coming, but I suspect that will be fixed soon. My impressions of Android is that it is a blend of WinMo and the iPhone OS, both of which I am familiar with. Is that a fair comparison?

What else should I consider before making the switch?

Thanks in advance!

struong57

Reaction score
You can sync your entire Outlook contacts, emails, and calendar over the air without connecting your Droid to your laptop. Only thing you'll have to do is setup your Outlook account on your new Droid.

In regards to your second question, Android OS is very similar to running SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 on WinMo. But works flawlessly without locking up like Windows is used to. ;-)

Last edited:
OP
P

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
You can sync your entire Outlook contacts, emails, and calendar over the air without connecting your Droid to your laptop. Only thing you'll have to do is setup your Outlook account on your new Droid.

Thanks for the quick reply. So I can do this without installing any laptop software or accessing the Exchange server (only company issues phones have access and I do not know the domains, etc)?

Glad to hear it is like MS 3.5. That is what I use and am very comfortable with.

struong57

Reaction score
You will need to know your work's domain name, server info, etc. In order to sync your Droid to your work's Outlook stuff.

You can obtain this info simply by checking the settings on a work issued smartphone that's already configured to their MS Exchange server.