Outlook email pushed to Droid?

jraggio

Reaction score
Just tried roadsync and it worked great!

While I was happy to search and post at various forums before to try to figure this out, I think I'm better off discussing this further in only one place. Please see the thread below, post 49 for my experience with roadsync.

Exchange not working - Android Forums

I just can't spend the time discussing this further in two places. I'm still subscribed to the thread, but will post additional results to the androidforums thread above moving forward.

John

RJP

Reaction score
Wireless Sync

I just spoke with Verizon tech support for Wireless Sync. Verizon does not control the development of new apps for the Droid. Google is in complete control. I posted an idea for the adoption of Wireless Sync on the Google support page. Please go to Google Product Ideas to vote and add your comments. Google is missing the boat on this option and lots of folks will be returning Droids because of this lack of functionality. Businesses don't use gmail and not all businesses have an exchange server. Wireless Sync is a great tool for all of us stuck in the middle.

dean.collins

Reaction score
I cant believe how crappy the email client for Android is when operating exchnage - putting aside people having issues etc, where is the multi-folder support, where is the visuals etc.

I know google want people to use Gmail but it just inat going to happen for commercial people.

This has nothing to do with $29.99 plans and $44.99 plans, it's just the email client in android sucks.

Can anyone recomend a better free or paid app for working with exchange in Android.

SteveEd

Reaction score
I have the $29 plan and my OWA is syncing properly (at least, email, contacts and calendar). I love my new Droid!!

mrpush

Reaction score
RJP,

You and I are on the same page. Leaving out STANDALONE WIRELESS SYNC from outlook to phone to PC is just UNACCEPTABLE when 4 year old smartphones can do it!

You mentioned that Google is in control of the apps for this and that may be true, but I still blame VERIZON.

As a PARTNER on the DROID project, why did VERIZON not DEMAND that google develop an app to allow FULL SYNC of business data (cal, con, task, notes) from standalone Outlook on PC to phone! They have so many developers, it might have taken a month or so to develop this already pre-existing technology that Verizon uses now?

There has to be hundred of thousands of people that do STANDALONE Wirelss sync from outlook to phone WITHOUT having access to EXCAHNGE SERVER.

All verizon had to do is run a query on there servers to see how many use this, and make a simple decision and tell Google that its a necessary functionalily on the DRIOD if even 200,000 use it!

Daaaa... Verizon!

It is just ....DUMB to leave this out or force use to use a 3rd party app, which NONE of the Verizon representitives know about anyway. I had to do may own research.

Good grief Verizon, get it together and supply your customers with a COMPLETE package.....We have been loyal to you for many years!!!!

Thanks,

MP

dsw1519

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. My work email is not through exchange, but we do use outlook on another mail server app. so far I've been on the phone with Motorola directly (3 times) and Verizon once. They have no idea how to fix it. Motorola says it's a "verizon issue" and of course Verizon says its a motorola issue, or maybe a google issue.

czylegs

Reaction score
Accounts & Sync ??

How do you add an account to "Accounts & Sync" that is not a gmail account?

dbbrow2

Reaction score
I tried setting up Exchange once more (I believe it was the fourth time), using the EXACT SAME DOMAINNAME\userid, passwd and server name, and this time I got not only mail and contacts to sync but also calendar!! I really can't see anything I did different from the previous attempts, other than maybe the first thing I did after the configuration was to go to Corporate Calendar and select Refresh. I started seeing the appts showing up right away, all but one that I had in for yesterday. Very strange there why I could see appts before and after yesterday and just not that day but I'm happy it's working. I also learned from our IT guy that the Exchange backend is 2003, with no PIN. On some previous setup attempts outside of the core Droid Corporate mail setup I tried Touchdown, which never worked either for calendar.

dean.collins

Reaction score
I tried setting up Exchange once more (I believe it was the fourth time), using the EXACT SAME DOMAINNAME\userid, passwd and server name, and this time I got not only mail and contacts to sync but also calendar!! I really can't see anything I did different from the previous attempts.

Yep - the exchange synchronisation is total crap, i had to install my details twice before they showed up.

i'm trialling third party clients as the current solution is a deal breaker.

RJP

Reaction score
Finally had enough

I've tried a lot of apps to sync data. Bottom line is I have a pop3 mail account and do not wish to delete messages on the pc and on the phone.

Google missed the boat here.

I'm returning the Droid (it's a cool gadget) and getting a Touch Pro2 (I miss my Wireless Sync). If the Droid ever grows up and becomes a tool for business professionals, I'll be the first to pick one up.

Chadillac

Reaction score
?

The Droid DOES indeed support OWA. I just set mine up through my company. I am the Network Administrator, so I know what I am talking about (not just saying this to be a fan boi.)
The cool thing is that it does push email, calendar, and contacts through the OWA connection - the iPhones in our company only gets push email through OWA. So that is another great thing Droid has over the iPhone.
To answer another question someone asked, the DOMAIN is a one word name (usually the company name, but check with your admins.) The EXCHANGE SERVER is the 'mail.mycompany.com' address.
I will try to answer any other questions that I can regarding the Exchange compatability.

Big Tex -

Do you know how to "set up yourself" as described below on Droid? >>> ActiveSync works just fine in Android at the OS level, and did as of Version 1.5 and earlier. It uses OWA on port 80 and 443 and as a result can NOT be filtered out, as it would kill ALL WEB TRAFFIC. >>> More clearly, how do you setup port 80 and 443?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
Just get the phone, don't tell verizon, and set it up yourself

TOPCAT

Reaction score
My company has Outlook and while we have active exchange and OWA I was told by our tech support that we cannot push email to a Motorola Droid via exchange nor OWA since there is a major security flaw with the Motorola Droid. That didn't make too much sense and I'm not sure how you would block OWA but accepting it at face value it leads me to a question. Is there a way to push or relay my work email to another one of my emails, say, AOL or Gmail and then I could access it there from a M Droid. Not sure if I respond to a message that is sent there if it goes back to me on AOL or Gmail. Anybody try this?

MnMnmnm

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but we have the outlook configured with PC Monitor correctly since my emails are showing up in the Verizon Wireless Sync site but they don't push to the Droid.

When trying to configure the device, the Droid is not listed as a device to configure.

What am I missing?