WinMo to Droid Transfer

immobile

Reaction score
O.K. I'm having flashbacks of the first day of school, knowing nothing.
So please bare with me on a couple of questions, though I have a bunch, I'll just go with the top ones.
I've always had Windows mobile devices from the XV6700 thru about a dozen and currently on my 8th. Samsung Saga due to the same problem causing the turn over. My Android is supposed to show up on Mon.
To be honest, I'm a bit intimidated. I've always been "comfortable" with WinMo, because I am used to it and like it. But with today's selection it's time to make a switch.
What I found very convenient was that I never used Active Sync. On my 16GB card was my PIE Favorites, CAB files, music, videos, documents, etc. And if and when I had to do a Hard reset, it wasn't that big of deal because I would just copy/paste everything over. And WinMo had the exact apps. I needed. Microsoft back up, Windows Live e-mail app. which was great because that's my primary account.
So I ask, the I.E. Favorites/Bookmarks which are general URL icons that also woks w/ Opera, will they work on the Browser on the Android ? Can I set up my Hotmail accnt. where I can open attatchments like I can now. How do you back up your contacts. Is CAB files in the Droids vocabulary ?
In the File Explorer, providing it has one, can you copy contents that's in one folder and paste them in another ? I'll just go w/ 1 more. The media player, does it play MP3's for music and WMV for videos ?
There's a lot more but I'll just have to learn it like you guy's have had to. The questions were the main concerns I had and I appreciate you help and patience !!:icon_eek:

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
So please bare with me on a couple of questions, though I have a bunch, I'll just go with the top ones.
I've always had Windows mobile devices from the XV6700 thru about a dozen and currently on my 8th. Samsung Saga due to the same problem causing the turn over. My Android is supposed to show up on Mon.
To be honest, I'm a bit intimidated. I've always been "comfortable" with WinMo, because I am used to it and like it. But with today's selection it's time to make a switch.
What I found very convenient was that I never used Active Sync. On my 16GB card was my PIE Favorites, CAB files, music, videos, documents, etc. And if and when I had to do a Hard reset, it wasn't that big of deal because I would just copy/paste everything over. And WinMo had the exact apps. I needed. Microsoft back up, Windows Live e-mail app. which was great because that's my primary account.
So I ask, the I.E. Favorites/Bookmarks which are general URL icons that also woks w/ Opera, will they work on the Browser on the Android ?

They will work but i'm not sure you can transfer them over

Can I set up my Hotmail accnt. where I can open attachments like I can now.

Yes but it depends on the attachment.

How do you back up your contacts. Is CAB files in the Droids vocabulary ?

You must set up a gmail account and transfer your contacts from outlook. This works for free. There are some pay programs out there to do this also but i've no experiance with them.

In the File Explorer, providing it has one, can you copy contents that's in one folder and paste them in another?

There is no file explorer on the phone but once the phone is connected to your pc and you unmount the sd card you can use windows explorer to add data to it.

I'll just go w/ 1 more. The media player, does it play MP3's for music and WMV for videos ?

It plays mp3's but not WMV which is a pain considering it's a popular format. Maybe someday a 3rd party app will do it.

There's a lot more but I'll just have to learn it like you guy's have had to. The questions were the main concerns I had and I appreciate you help and patience !!:icon_eek:
So I ask, the I.E. Favorites/Bookmarks which are general URL icons that also woks w/ Opera, will they work on the Browser on the Android ?

They will work but i'm not sure you can transfer them over

Can I set up my Hotmail accnt. where I can open attachments like I can now.

Yes but it depends on the attachment.

How do you back up your contacts. Is CAB files in the Droids vocabulary ?

You must set up a gmail account and transfer your contacts from outlook. This works for free. There are some pay programs out there to do this also but i've no experiance with them.

In the File Explorer, providing it has one, can you copy contents that's in one folder and paste them in another?

There is no file explorer on the phone but once the phone is connected to your pc and you unmount the sd card you can use windows explorer to add data to it.

I'll just go w/ 1 more. The media player, does it play MP3's for music and WMV for videos ?

It plays mp3's but not WMV which is a pain considering it's a popular format. Maybe someday a 3rd party app will do it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hope it helps

So I ask, the I.E. Favorites/Bookmarks which are general URL icons that also woks w/ Opera, will they work on the Browser on the Android ? Can I set up my Hotmail accnt. where I can open attatchments like I can now. How do you back up your contacts. Is CAB files in the Droids vocabulary ?
In the File Explorer, providing it has one, can you copy contents that's in one folder and paste them in another ? I'll just go w/ 1 more. The media player, does it play MP3's for music and WMV for videos ?

Not sure on the I.E. question... don't have an answer.

Contact list.... How do I transfer numbers/contacts from Windows Mobile to Android? - Super User
http://tomuse.com/how-to-outlook-windows-mobile-contacts-tmobile-g1/This is for the G1 but same idea to export you WinMo contacts. Then just sync to Google.

CAB? no... not mine at least.

Yes you can set up a hotmail account. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/2204-setting-up-email-droid.html

There is no native explorer but if you do a search in The Market for 'file explorer' you will find plenty. I recommend EStrongs File Explorer but just my opinion. Then yes you can transfer files. EStrongs even connects via wi-fi to your home PC to transfer files between your device and PC with no USB hookup (obviously).

Yes it plays MP3's....
it's not a Windows device... no it doesn't use WMV... :)

Last edited:
OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
Thanks for the QUICK reply ! Sound like some adjustment is going to be needed.
I just rememmber when I was in Best Buy looking at one. Opened the Browser (still don't know the name of it) and typed in vzw's url, the main site where I often can't get to correctly on my Saga, and when I hit "Go", it FLEW there and opened up looking like it does on my Laptop. That was the selling point...

OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
And Martin030908, thanks for your quick reply as well. I'm starting to like this place better then HoFo. What kind of Media Player is it and what is the Video format ?
Thanks !

OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
Yes, like I said above, the Browser is Scary fast ! I'm downloading the ZIP for that program. Thanks !

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck boss. You should be able to find answers to any questions you have around here. Poke around the forums... and the search function on this sight actually works pretty well.

Welcome to Droid. You won't be the same :)

OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
Thanks. And I do - do a search before posting. Don't want to get Flamed ! :)>:icon_ banana:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. And I do - do a search before posting. Don't want to get Flamed ! :)>:icon_ banana:
Just saying... gotta protect people who may not know. You know how brutal it can get! LOL

Actually you were the first WinMo transfer question I've answered... I learned something new.

OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
I'm already burning my finger tips...:blink:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
beat me to it... had to get all the 'thinking' out of the way first. might not have been much help to you after my session. LOL