WIFI turning on on its own

nyyanx18

Reaction score
I keep waking in up in the morning and find that the wifi on my droid 2 has mysteriously turned on. I rarely usethe wifi and when I do, always turn it back off when i'm done to save battery.
I think it may only happen when the battery level is low....but there's no option to switch to wifi when battery is low.....

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Isn't there a setting somewhere for "prefer wifi connections" that will have your phone default to wifi over 3G when a network is available? Also, wifi uses far less battery than 3G, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

lizard

Reaction score
Menu>settings>wireless and network>wifi connections>menu>advanced>wifi sleep policy>choose your poison

Reaction score
Menu>settings>wireless and network>wifi connections>menu>advanced>wifi sleep policy>choose your poison

Methinks you misunderstood the question.

OP, have you changed/installed anything lately? You could always try a factory data wipe.

OP
N

nyyanx18

Reaction score
Not that i can think of. this has been going on for a while. i was thinking maybe when i use the wifi and go to turn it off, that the widget isn't actually turning it off--but it was on this morning and i hadn't used wifi at all yesterday.

OP
N

nyyanx18

Reaction score
Nope, everything is stock. The only thing i have is advanced task killer and a custom battery saver that turns off data sync between 1am and 9am.

lizard

Reaction score
Goto menu>settings>data manager>data delivery>social applications and see if sync over wifi only is checked.

Don't know if your phone hasn't synced for a while if it is turning wifi on because of this setting.

mrm0rbid99

Reaction score
Isn't there a setting somewhere for "prefer wifi connections" that will have your phone default to wifi over 3G when a network is available? Also, wifi uses far less battery than 3G, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I was under the impression that this was the other way around. I thought WiFi used more battery that 3G?

lizard

Reaction score
3G uses more juice, probably just because it is slower and takes longer to do whatever it is doing. Aside from that, I don't think there is anything inherent about 3G that makes it use more power.

Reaction score
3G uses more juice, probably just because it is slower and takes longer to do whatever it is doing. Aside from that, I don't think there is anything inherent about 3G that makes it use more power.

How about the fact that it's communicating with a radio tower that's miles away, versus a wireless router that's usually less than 50 feet away?

mrm0rbid99

Reaction score
Good point on the tower thing.

Edit : what about my case of WiFi. I've got several APssetup with DHCP and my D2 is constantly getting new IPs as I physically move around my network. (My WiFi covers about 3 acres this way.) Wouldn't getting a new IP every few minutes take its toll on a battery.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App