Droid2- WiFi Randomly turns on

nyyanx18

Reaction score
I've noticed several times that I will wake up in the morning, go to check my Droid2, and find that the WiFi has somehow turned on (and therefore battery is low). I rarely use WiFi and when I do, I turn it off when I am done. I have custom battery save settings that turn data sync off between midnight and 9am.
Any ideas on what could be causing the WiFi to turn on on its own?

fang

Reaction score
WiFi auto starts

My DROID2 R2D2 also automatically switches to WiFi at times and takes 3 or 4 tries turning it off to get it to stay off. Any ideas?

AVanover5

Reaction score
What launcher are you using? For now, try using airplane mode when you want it off from wireless settings. If it still turns on (or if it doesn't, in fact), let us know.

OP
N

nyyanx18

Reaction score
I use one of the widgets that came with the phone. There's actually two different widgets that control the wireless, and I have both on the screen. One is grouped with a few other power settings (bluetooth, airplane mode, data sync), the other is just individual wireless. Maybe i should delete one of them?

fang

Reaction score
launcher and airplane mode

matters not which launcher, either in settings or with android widget. I trashed and reinstalled widget, same thing. Airplane mode shuts wifi off (along with the phone). Thanks for your help. I thought I remembered on my old DROID1 a setting to auto connect to available known networks, which is not an option on this DROID2. If I "forget" my home network it stops wifi from autoloading, but then I have to manually connect with password if I wish to use wifi. Maybe this auto-start condition is why everyone is complaining about the shortened battery life. ??

AVanover5

Reaction score
If you have a network remembered then it will autoconnect if you have wifi enabled (Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi). Airplane mode is supposed to disable all wireless connections (including 3G) but it certainly shouldn't turn off the phone. Perhaps clearly the cache and data for the Network activity will help.