1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Wifi suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Tech Support' started by Hortnon, Dec 6, 2011.

  1. Hortnon
    Offline

    Hortnon New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Yesterday, after owning my Bionic more than a month, the wifi stopped working. Connected, ip address, but no throughput. I updated to 5.7.893, but that didn't change anything. If I forget then re-add the AP everything works for about 60 seconds, but you can watch the connection degrade very quickly. All of my other wifi devices work flawlessly, including my original Droid (with CM 7) and my Asus Transformer. I tried resetting the router (factory reset) anyway, but no luck.

    I ran a shell session to poke around to see if I could narrow it down to DNS or something else, and I couldn't really find anything. Look at this output from a ping of my router, and notice that there are missing packets all over the place:

    Code:
    shell@cdma_targa:/$ ping -c 20 192.168.1.1
    ping -c 20 192.168.1.1
    PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=62.3 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=12.6 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=134 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=59.9 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=13.0 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=212 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=326 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=15 ttl=64 time=390 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=17 ttl=64 time=281 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=20 ttl=64 time=446 ms
    
    
    --- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
    20 packets transmitted, 10 received, 50% packet loss, time 19087ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 12.695/194.143/446.868/152.498 ms
    shell@cdma_targa:/$
    
    And then this output pinging another computer on my network:
    Code:
    shell@cdma_targa:/$ ping 192.168.1.140ping 192.168.1.140
    PING 192.168.1.140 (192.168.1.140) 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 192.168.1.81 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.1.81 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.1.81 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=4 ttl=128 time=1413 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=5 ttl=128 time=413 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=6 ttl=128 time=320 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=10 ttl=128 time=348 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=12 ttl=128 time=487 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=13 ttl=128 time=414 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=15 ttl=128 time=111 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=19 ttl=128 time=146 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=20 ttl=128 time=386 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=21 ttl=128 time=58.2 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=22 ttl=128 time=26.9 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=23 ttl=128 time=207 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=24 ttl=128 time=136 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.140: icmp_seq=31 ttl=128 time=469 ms
    
    Then this output from an nslookup that takes 11seconds to return for Google...
    Code:
    shell@cdma_targa:/$ time nslookup www.google.com
    time nslookup www.google.com
    Server:    68.[I]xxx[/I].[I]xx.xx[/I]
    Address 1: 68.[I]xxx[/I].[I]xx.xx[/I] dns1.[I]xxx.xxx[/I]
    
    
    Name:      www.google.com
    Address 1: 173.194.64.105 oa-in-f105.1e100.net
    Address 2: 173.194.64.106 oa-in-f106.1e100.net
    Address 3: 173.194.64.147 oa-in-f147.1e100.net
    Address 4: 173.194.64.99 oa-in-f99.1e100.net
    Address 5: 173.194.64.103 oa-in-f103.1e100.net
    Address 6: 173.194.64.104 oa-in-f104.1e100.net
    real    0m 10.91s
    user    0m 0.00s
    sys     0m 0.00s
    

    I had this same problem with my original Droid until I installed Cyanogenmod. Is this just an ongoing issue with Android? I have seen lots of people talking about variations of the same issue with different phones, especially when I was trying to resolve this on my old Droid.
  2. SEColwell
    Offline

    SEColwell New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2011
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    a Mansion (aka apartment)
    I have had my bionic for about a month also and I have not had any issues with 3g / 4g / wifi/ the real only issue u have is camera lag and if it doesn't get fixed with the next upgrade coming by the end of the year then I will pass the problem onto my dad and use his upgrade to get a razr.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
droid2 wifi error host unreachable
,
oa-in-f104
,
verizon android, stopped abruptly
,

wifi droid bionic stops

,

wifi on gallaxy 3 abruptly stopped working