Wifi cancels out my 3G/4G signal

gossett

Reaction score
I did my best to search on this but couldn't find anything. Like the rest of us i'm having issues with my Bionic. I work in IT and sit right next to a wireless router. Well whenever I connect to it my 3g symbol goes white and I can't access the market. All of my issue are market related and it seems when wifi and 3g/4g are on I can't do anything. well I took it too verizon store locally and was going to give it back (this is my second one). they promptly connected to their wifi and the data was on and everything was fine. Is anyone else seeing the wifi 'take over' or turn off the 3g/4g? I had it rooted and ROM'd and had to unroot and factory flash it back but what exactly is the deal with the wifi and the marketplace ? thanks

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does it happen on your home network? Sounds as if your work network is blocking the market...

Does gtalk sign on?
There is a fix of tweaking the firewall to allow the gapps( market mainly) but dont remember what it is right off..

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

OP
G

gossett

Reaction score
Does it happen on your home network? Sounds as if your work network is blocking the market...
this happens at home and at work it has only worked on wifi and 3g/4g at the verizon store so far
Does gtalk sign on?
There is a fix of tweaking the firewall to allow the gapps( market mainly) but dont remember what it is right off..
I can sign on with gtalk yes but don't use it. i didn't know there was a firewall on this

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
this happens at home and at work it has only worked on wifi and 3g/4g at the verizon store so far
Does gtalk sign on?
I can sign on with gtalk yes but don't use it. i didn't know there was a firewall on this

I think he's talking about the routers firewall.

I've had some nasty run ins with moto android phones and WiFi in the past. Like not having BT and WiFi work when both on. In addition to a lot of stuff. My fix for it is factory reset the router. I don't know why it's like that. But doing that to my router at home will always fix the problem for me.

OP
G

gossett

Reaction score
this is what verizon tech support told me

Franklin at tech support informed me that the android market only works over 3g/4g for certain devices for security purposes; the bionic being one. He went on to tell me about how it worked with the iphone (which is true as I had one before this). as bizarre as all this sounds I did test and verify it at least at two wifi hotspots. I believe it's verizons way of making sure you use their new pay per gig data plan for the store as if you used wifi you never would have to. Makes perfect sense. while it still seems bizarre whenever I would turn off wifi I can get to the market with no problems so unless I hear something different (mind you this is my third bionic and the chances of three being bad are not really possible since two people I work with got one from the same batch) i'm just going to have to go with their explanation

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds strange...

When Verizon hooked it to their wifi did it access the market?

OP
G

gossett

Reaction score
Yes it worked

they explained it to me that it did work as because they use (of course) an officialy verizon access point so the phone recognizes it as a verizon wireless hotspot as opposed to any non verizon hotspot. As you said weird but i've had no problems since. I actually called back verizon tech support today to ask someone else if it was true and had my girlfriend call too and it's the same answer: droid over 3/4 G only because of security reasons (read: verizon wants to control us all)

brandon9559

Reaction score
Franklin at tech support informed me that the android market only works over 3g/4g for certain devices for security purposes; the bionic being one. He went on to tell me about how it worked with the iphone (which is true as I had one before this). as bizarre as all this sounds I did test and verify it at least at two wifi hotspots. I believe it's verizons way of making sure you use their new pay per gig data plan for the store as if you used wifi you never would have to. Makes perfect sense. while it still seems bizarre whenever I would turn off wifi I can get to the market with no problems so unless I hear something different (mind you this is my third bionic and the chances of three being bad are not really possible since two people I work with got one from the same batch) i'm just going to have to go with their explanation

I access the market perfectly fine over wifi. I do it everyday.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
G

gossett

Reaction score
That's weird as hell. this is my second (actually third) that i've not been able to connect to it on wifi. if you can any ideas why I can't? After hearing from verizon and you i'm not sure what to think.

brandon9559

Reaction score
Yeah it is. Im connected to wifi right now and can update/ download apps perfectly fine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try FxR wifi from the market. I was having issues connecting to campus wifi from my phone (it would connect but I couldn't access market/websites). Since running FxR, i've had no issues.

*disclaimer: it may or may not work. It has something like a 60% success rate

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
G

gossett

Reaction score
Thanks everyone so far i'll try this out. I've contacted tech support every day to try and figure out what the hell is going on. Today I got: 'it's a known issue but not all Bionic have the same problem'. supposedly a fix is on the way sometime in the future. I did have one weird thing happen: yesterday after I got into the market using 3g i backed out and turned on wifi and went back into the market. I was able to download about two things before it failed again

drakenhoffen

Reaction score
Thanks everyone so far i'll try this out. I've contacted tech support every day to try and figure out what the hell is going on. Today I got: 'it's a known issue but not all Bionic have the same problem'. supposedly a fix is on the way sometime in the future. I did have one weird thing happen: yesterday after I got into the market using 3g i backed out and turned on wifi and went back into the market. I was able to download about two things before it failed again

That sounds like a dns issue, it can hit the dns over 3g and chaches the ip of the market, but over wifi it can't hit the dns server, or wifi is not giving out a dns when it gives out ip.

check and see what your router is giving your phone as far as ip address. you can also get a term emulation program that will let you run some ping checkes and traceroutes.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Awhile back i added the market's ip to my routers firewall, i just cant remember what it was... search df it should be here..

SonicTurtle

Reaction score
WiFi "connected" no market access or internet

I did my best to search on this but couldn't find anything. Like the rest of us i'm having issues with my Bionic. I work in IT and sit right next to a wireless router. Well whenever I connect to it my 3g symbol goes white and I can't access the market. All of my issue are market related and it seems when wifi and 3g/4g are on I can't do anything. well I took it too verizon store locally and was going to give it back (this is my second one). they promptly connected to their wifi and the data was on and everything was fine. Is anyone else seeing the wifi 'take over' or turn off the 3g/4g? I had it rooted and ROM'd and had to unroot and factory flash it back but what exactly is the deal with the wifi and the marketplace ? thanks

Glad to have found this post. The issues still persist. I have a similar story; wife and I ordered new phones (me the Bionic, she the i4S). My Droid is available in store, comes home the same day. I set up the phone and everything seems fine, except I notice that though I am connected to my network via Wifi, I can't use WiFi to access the market or internet. Turn off WiFi and the market and internet browsing are fine via 3g or 4g. So I go to Verizon.

Verizon accesses the market and browses via their WiFi and tells me it's my router. I go home, check the router, power down then back up everything is fine. Xbox, laptop, desktop all connected and running fine; still Bionic won't browse or use market while WiFi is connected. My wife's phone arrives by post, we connect to the WiFi and immediately try to surf and use the market place for apps. Apple's product works great. I have run the gambit from assigning static IP addresses, changing channels, slowing my download speeds, and factory resets on the phone. I have turned off Wifi sleep. I have reconfigured my connection a hundred times with the exact same result. So, Motorola and Verizon acknowledged there's an issue about six months ago. It's not fixed, and there are some blogs about Netgear Router compatibility issues, though my model (WNR2000) is not listed as one of the potential versions of conflict. If there's any fresh ideas out there please let me know. Though the issue has been a minor nuisance, data usage can be expensive: without the use of Wifi from home, I will could easily get charged a pretty penny if I were to exceed my plan . . .yet maybe I have missed the point; perhaps the plan IS for me to exceed my usage. <smirking> I don't have any sage advice. There is information on Motorola's site under troubleshooting that is helpful in many cases; in mine it proved no help.