Wifi issues

bolden88

Reaction score
Where do I find the .ini file? What text editor do I use? Just the one from Windows?

Thanks for the suggestion

nmos

Reaction score
Where do I find the .ini file? What text editor do I use? Just the one from Windows?

Thanks for the suggestion

The tiwlan.ini is in /system/etc/wifi/ . I don't use Windows but presumably any "real" text editor such as Notepad should work OK. I used the adb utility from the Android Dev Kit to pull the origional file from the phone, then remount the filesystem rw and push the replacement file back.

29castles

Reaction score
So I just upgraded to the droid 2 (to be specific the r2d2) this past weekend and have already been having wifi problems. For a time, I would connect to my wifi network for a few minutes and then the phone would begin scanning again, disconnect from the network and reconnect. I would stay connected for shorter and shorter periods of time and now cannot connect at all. Any solutions?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

hatchetman208

Reaction score
With my Droid 2 I can connect to my WiFi, atleast it says that I am, but I can't use anything that uses the internet nor can I browse files on my computer. It shows up and says it's WEP encrypted but when I select it it won't let me enter the WEP keys, it just askes for a password just like you would logging into windows... So I believe that a Droid 2 can't connect to WEP encrypted WiFi. I'm thinking about trying WPA or WPA2 to see if those work sometime tomorrow.

rosem119

Reaction score
My Droid 2 didn't like WEP at all. I changed the security on my router to WPA2 and it has stayed connected ever since.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

hatchetman208

Reaction score
I have a Linksys router but it doesn't run Linksys firmware, mine runs a custom DD-WRT firmware which gives me way more options like I can change my WiFi range to 10 feet or 400 feet.

WPA2 Pre-Shared Key useing WPA algorithms in TKIP mode with max users at 1 on G WiFi works PURFECTLY.
I can now use my phone as a remote for my computer and browse the web on WiFi.

tessa25

Reaction score
I put the WEP key in the password. Works for me on Droid X.

hatchetman208

Reaction score
I put the WEP key in the password. Works for me on Droid X.

Maybe I did WEP wrong... I don't know. The Droid 2 WiFi settings are nothing like my old Omnia i900. On the Omnia I had to enter the WEP keys and the password and now on the Droid 2 it just askes for A password.

SmD71nG

Reaction score
Does anyone have this problem?
When using wifi on the droid x it runs fine during regular use with apps and updates. But after a while the signal does not respond and the phone is essentially offline. However the issue is wifi is still connected to my router and it does not show any signs of a bad signal or looking for a different one, yet nothing reacts and I get the pop up that there is a connection error or when in the market it claims to not have a signal at all and pauses any updates going on. the phone does not switch to 3G it still shows a strong wifi signal and connected. My pc is still online and running strong so I have to keep turning off and on my wifi on my phone which only gives me a signal back for 2 minutes at the most and goes back to the same issue. I have my wifi set to never time out on my phone yet this happens at least 5 times a day for no apparent reason. Anyone have an idea what the hell is going on?!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

SmD71nG

Reaction score
Btw I have just got this droid x on monday (4 days) it is stock 2.2 not rooted. This issue is getting really annoying because it happens everywhere, not just at home.

joeshell20

Reaction score
Glad to know it is not just me. I called big red when I first got my dx. Their level 2s had no clue. Doesn't look like it will be fixed anytime soon. My wife has a LG Ally which never looses signal so I don't know what it is. Verizon even sent me a refurb which is still doing the same.

SmD71nG

Reaction score
My moto droid 1 would do the same thing also, just not as often. I think motorola wifi chip might be ****ed

lark214

Reaction score
I have the same problem and yes it is very annoying. Does anyone have an answer?

kevinkar

Reaction score
Have you checked your WiFi sleep policy?

Menu->Settings->Wireless & Networks->Menu->Advanced->Wifi sleep policy

Change it to Never. Might help.