WiFi/3g/4g issue

amusedone

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my internet connection in general. No matter if it is WiFi, 3G or 4G. I will go to get on the internet and I will have no connection but I will have a blue symbol for whichever method I am using to get online. Sometimes I will have the WiFi and 3G/4G signal at the same time but no internet connection. It is sporadic but frequent and really starting to get on my nerves. Its been a problem for some time now I'm just now getting around to asking. I've tried kicking into airplane mode and back to restart the connections but that usually doesn't help. It isn't only with one app. Most frequently its FB and the browser (well that's what I use most obviously) but I have noticed it with some other apps as well.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
Brittany

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You've tried rebooting and simulated battery pulls? ( hold power and volume down at the same time until the device shuts off)

1Download speed test and see what the speeds are like in your area. It may be network related, and not your device at all.

2Are you using smart actions? Or a battery defender or app killer?? Make sure if you are, that one of them isn't killing your data. Next...

3There is an app in the play store, its for 4g issues, but I've seen it used for issues like this, and it worked, search for restore connectivity. The app is from Motorola. It could help. Next...

4 You can try powering off, remove your sim, power on...power off and reinsert the sim, power back on.

Hope this helps???

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score
You've tried rebooting and simulated battery pulls? ( hold power and volume down at the same time until the device shuts off)

1Download speed test and see what the speeds are like in your area. It may be network related, and not your device at all.

2Are you using smart actions? Or a battery defender or app killer?? Make sure if you are, that one of them isn't killing your data. Next...

3There is an app in the play store, its for 4g issues, but I've seen it used for issues like this, and it worked, search for restore connectivity. The app is from Motorola. It could help. Next...

4 You can try powering off, remove your sim, power on...power off and reinsert the sim, power back on.

Hope this helps???

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!
]

She is using a thunderbolt so he has the true ability to pull the battery and thunderbolts do not have smart actions. But what will likely cure it is what you said in your last sentence......

try powering off, remove your sim, power on...power off and reinsert the sim, power back on.

Last edited:
OP
A

amusedone

Reaction score
I have a RAZR now I forgot to change that! oops! Will go do that now. :)

Yeah I've done the reboot/'battery pull' and sometimes it fixes the problem sometimes not. Like I said its hard to reproduce time and time again its sporadic.
I don't think its network related because WiFi does the same thing. (when it works its not slow or laggy just sometimes it just says I have no data/internet connection)
None of my smart actions are interfering with my data. I don't have a battery defender or task killer.
It looks like that app is for if you had a battery defender app that messed your settings up but I'll give it a shot (it requires a reboot to restore connectivity which is impractical for every time this occurs so I'm hoping that it's not the only fix)
I'm going to try pulling the SIM with the power cycles to see if that solves the problem.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks!
Brittany

huskur

Reaction score
I have a RAZR now I forgot to change that! oops! Will go do that now. :)

Yeah I've done the reboot/'battery pull' and sometimes it fixes the problem sometimes not. Like I said its hard to reproduce time and time again its sporadic.
I don't think its network related because WiFi does the same thing. (when it works its not slow or laggy just sometimes it just says I have no data/internet connection)
None of my smart actions are interfering with my data. I don't have a battery defender or task killer.
It looks like that app is for if you had a battery defender app that messed your settings up but I'll give it a shot (it requires a reboot to restore connectivity which is impractical for every time this occurs so I'm hoping that it's not the only fix)
I'm going to try pulling the SIM with the power cycles to see if that solves the problem.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks!
Brittany

Brittany,

My best advice is that if that does not solve it then to do a soft reset. Holding the power button and the volume down button down until the phone resets. If you take it to a VZW store they will do the same test plus maybe do a factory data reset. That is found in Menu>Privacy settings>factory data reset. That will make it like the day you got it. That is a last resort of course but if that doesn't fix it then the next step is to replace the SIM. That will truly tell what the issue is. If they replace the SIM and it still does it then you have a defective device.

Huskur (Scott)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yep I forgot the simulated batt pull

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!

OP
A

amusedone

Reaction score
I have done soft resets but the problem persists.
I'm on my 2nd SIM card. I had some issues with the first one so I had to have it replaced It was giving me a SIM card error and I couldn't connect to 4G. That never messed with my WiFi though. I had forgotten about that. Maybe it is my device! Oh no!!!
I know if I take it to the VZW store it will undoubtedly work perfectly and as soon as I get home it will mess up again. I have that kind of luck.

Now its a waiting game to see if it is going to do it again.

Thanks!
Brittany

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have done soft resets but the problem persists.
I'm on my 2nd SIM card. I had some issues with the first one so I had to have it replaced It was giving me a SIM card error and I couldn't connect to 4G. That never messed with my WiFi though. I had forgotten about that. Maybe it is my device! Oh no!!!
I know if I take it to the VZW store it will undoubtedly work perfectly and as soon as I get home it will mess up again. I have that kind of luck.

Thanks!
Brittany

I have a saying, s**t happens, but don't worry, it usually happens to me!! Lol. I hope you get to the bottom of your issue. Sorry I couldn't help more. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!

Gskill

Reaction score
I had forgotten about that. Maybe it is my device! Oh no!!!

Thanks!
Brittany

Brittany my phone has done something similar but it will drop 3g and 4g (bar at the top goes gray and there is no 3x or 4x) all together. Verizon says there is an update but your issue sounds like it may be more device/software related. If you are worried about hassling with the store I would just call the warranty center (1-866-406-5154) seeing as if you got the phone more the 30 days ago they will have you do that anyways. I have got my Razr replaced 3 times and SIM replaced once. Just let them know you have tried all the resets and they will ship out a new phone next day air.

Best of luck,
Chase

BoscoeTuna

Reaction score
Oh, how I feel your pain. I have had the same issues regarding connectivity with my razr. I would loose connectivity whether it be service or WiFi at sporadic times. All service indicators such as 4g/3g/wifi will just disappear and leave nothing but signal bars. I am phone #4 and sim card #2 because of this issue and have gone to war against ol' red because of it. I came from iPhone to droid and this issue has made me regret that decision from day one (is it droid or is it moto to blame or both). After a lengthy letter to corporate, I am now able to select any other 4g phone as a replacement, but they all seem to go downhill from the razr and I will not settle for getting a cut rate/out of date product in replacement of the supposedly top notch product that I paid for according to big red. I am keeping my eye on the incredible 4g, but at the same time the latest update 6.12.181 seemed to address all of these issues and since I updated I have not had connectivity issues. If you haven't gotten that update yet, do so as it so far seems to fix things.

altjx

Reaction score
Oh, how I feel your pain. I have had the same issues regarding connectivity with my razr. I would loose connectivity whether it be service or WiFi at sporadic times. All service indicators such as 4g/3g/wifi will just disappear and leave nothing but signal bars. I am phone #4 and sim card #2 because of this issue and have gone to war against ol' red because of it. I came from iPhone to droid and this issue has made me regret that decision from day one (is it droid or is it moto to blame or both). After a lengthy letter to corporate, I am now able to select any other 4g phone as a replacement, but they all seem to go downhill from the razr and I will not settle for getting a cut rate/out of date product in replacement of the supposedly top notch product that I paid for according to big red. I am keeping my eye on the incredible 4g, but at the same time the latest update 6.12.181 seemed to address all of these issues and since I updated I have not had connectivity issues. If you haven't gotten that update yet, do so as it so far seems to fix things.

Wow. I'm having this same issue, but this has come aftre going to ICS and restoring back to GB (in hopes of ICS being the issue, but it wasn't). and you are on your 2nd sim? smh. I pray i don't have to make multiple trips to Verizon. It already pissed me off enough that they wouldn't exchange my phone because I bought it from an authorized retailer VZW instead of the corporate office. Got damnit!

OP
A

amusedone

Reaction score
Well, I finally got fed up and got a replacement RAZR. (and this one has a dead pixel, I hate refurbs. Lets not even get into them sending me the wrong device first!) My FB app is still saying no connection no matter what I'm connected to (it is doing what it was doing before-sometimes connecting sometimes not), but the internet browser isn't acting up-at least not yet or that I have noticed.
I don't want to have to get a million replacement devices but I want one that works!!!

altjx

Reaction score
Well, I finally got fed up and got a replacement RAZR. (and this one has a dead pixel, I hate refurbs. Lets not even get into them sending me the wrong device first!) My FB app is still saying no connection no matter what I'm connected to (it is doing what it was doing before-sometimes connecting sometimes not), but the internet browser isn't acting up-at least not yet or that I have noticed.
I don't want to have to get a million replacement devices but I want one that works!!!

I definitely understand your frustration man... It sort of annoyed the living hell out of me when the 611 lady told me there was no problems in the area. I had to drive to the store (20+ minutes away) in traffic only for her to tell me we were having issues. I had no reason to call, as I was assured that the 611 customer service representative was correct. I wish that, under certain circumstances, they could credit your account for gas reimbursement :p. That'd be cool.

On another note, sorry to hear about the problems man. After taking mine to Verizon for a separate issue than previously stated, my phone never had any issues since then and they repeated the same steps I did.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
altjx said:
I wish that, under certain circumstances, they could credit your account for gas reimbursement :p. That'd be cool

What about all the time we have to spend getting our replacement phones set up again, I'm on my 4th phone now & this one is likely to go back too. All the screen protectors I've wasted, the invisishield I bought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

altjx

Reaction score
What about all the time we have to spend getting our replacement phones set up again, I'm on my 4th phone now & this one is likely to go back too. All the screen protectors I've wasted, the invisishield I bought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

I would find that to be fair imo at least.