Razr - Bluetooth - Tether - DUN - PANU - 3G/4G - Win7 64 bit confirmation?

joebrady

Reaction score
Background: I live out in the sticks and can't get internet other that dial-up, which is worthless and I refuse to pay for, especially since I already have an unlimited data plan and a 4G phone. (Reception is spotty at times, but I have a spot I can usually hold a decent 4g signal.

I have succesfully paired phone via bluetooth with my Linux Ubuntu 9.10 machine to obtain internet. (old version I know, but it's my main livingroom media center and I don't want to muck it up, and it's rarely net connected) With this connection, the phone states "connected to PANU" I get a pretty slow connection, and I only have an old version 2 bluetooth dongle on this machine.

I have also succesfully paired with my Windows 7 64 bit machine w/ new BT 4.0 usb dongle. I can do this two ways. One way and the phone says "connected to PANU", but I don't ever seem to be able to get any internet connection this way. Anyone have any experience doing this?

The other way is using Dial-up networking. This way, the phone states "connected to phone modem" I get and internet connection this way, bu also fairly slow speeds, best I've seen .72 MBps. One thing I've seemed to notice doing this, it only works when I have a 3G signal. If I have a 4G signal, the connection is never established. Can someone confirm that this type of connection is blocked when using 4G?

I just want to find the best, most efficent way to achieve and internet connection on my Win7 machine, with the best speeds possible. Any help is appreciated. Internet searching doens't turn up much, I've search to no end....

OP
J

joebrady

Reaction score
Not currently rooted, and would prefer not to.

Edit: Just saw the FoxFi app, will try that next...

Last edited: