Why is this phone given such horrible reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibebyi

Reaction score
Ok, this might seem like a bit of a rant, so if it is deemed inappropriate for the forum I apologize in advance. I'm also referring to issues that those in the know-how probably can identify with.

I picked up this phone a couple days ago upon concluding a year-long, ROM-switching, kernel-flashing journey with my very, very faithful DROID. I was hesitant, to say the least, to buy a product that I knew would have some glaringly obvious issues (ahem.. BING) coupled with less than stellar support from Sammy. But after having the phone for the last three days and applying some needed fixes/hacks, I can honestly say that this is one of the best devices I have ever used.

OK. With that said...

What the heck is up with these supposed "tech" sites that demolish the fascinate in its reviews for non-issues? Based on what merits/weaknesses?
It's frustrating because I feel like these articles are creating a misconception to the "less than informed" populace that the X is some kind of demi-god/king, while the fascinate is some kind of dirty and confused hobo.

On Geek dot com, there is a bullet format article that compares the x and fascinate in specific categories, and for one of their points, they called the X a CLEAR winner for having a 8MP camera over the Sammy's 5MP. WTH?

And on the SAMOLED vs. LCD debate: I know it's probably impossible to completely remove opinionated remarks from a review written by a human being, but honestly I feel like these reviewers are being pretty irresponsible calling the LCD superior to the SAMOLED. UGH.

Again, I apologize for ranting about something you've all probably noticed already. I'm going to play with my fascinate :)

Last edited:

tlogank

Reaction score
I agree with you. The reviews are oddly negative for such an amazing phone. I am thinking BING being preloaded has much to do with it. My girlfriend has a Droid X, I have a Fascinate (backwards, I know) and we both are very happy with our phones and wouldn't really want each others. Sooo, to each his own.

OP
I

ibebyi

Reaction score
Yeah idk... When I show my friends my phone almost all off them ask in a pretty snide fashion why I settled on this over the"amazing" x. Pisses me off. Look the x is a great phone but honestly the hardware on the fascinate is totally comparible and in some cases outright superior.

on a side note.one of the only things I agreed with reviews on was the horrid neon blue font in menus... Kinda sad though that's the best they could come up with

Last edited:

Zalyia38

Reaction score
I agree with you a well. I crossed the X of my list of phones the minute I heard it would be locked. Even though I knew it would be broken by the awesome Devs. But, the Fascinate is by far my favorite phone and in my opinion far superior to the X....even with 2.1 on it.

The thing that upsets me is people knock it because of Bing...sheesh that was Verizon and it can be removed. People that slam it just because of that just don't really have a clue.

Darkseider

Reaction score
It is being knocked because it is Bingified, no more, no less. The device itself is equal to and in some cases superior to the DX. Hell for those that want to root the thing they can and just un-Bing it. For those that don't want to root just download Launcher Pro from the market and there is an option once installed to install the Google Search widget. This isn't brain surgery just biased reviews but uninformed/uneducated reviewers looking for page hits.

OP
I

ibebyi

Reaction score
which = public swaying towards alternatives (like x or 2) = less revenue for Sammy = less support in the form of software updates for us :angry:.

Sigh. At least its not locked down and has clockwork so any interested devs (ahem cvpcs, cyanogen, pete :D) can make some super nice kernels and ROMS... I will wait patiently for that day... Thanks in advance :p

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is being knocked because it is Bingified, no more, no less. The device itself is equal to and in some cases superior to the DX. Hell for those that want to root the thing they can and just un-Bing it. For those that don't want to root just download Launcher Pro from the market and there is an option once installed to install the Google Search widget. This isn't brain surgery just biased reviews but uninformed/uneducated reviewers looking for page hits.

That's an interesting word. Haven't seen that one yet. :)

I wouldn't know one way or another, but I assumed that it's a great phone. Even if it isn't a Droid. :D What do critics know?

tlogank

Reaction score
I've owned the Droid, Droid X, and my mom has the incredible...this Fascinate is far and away my favorite phone so far.

dakoop

Reaction score
Sigh. At least its not locked down and has clockwork so any interested devs (ahem cvpcs, cyanogen, pete :D) can make some super nice kernels and ROMS... I will wait patiently for that day... Thanks in advance :p

Lets hope they do take advantage of this phone and come out with some roms. I can't wait for that, then the tables will be turned:icon_ banana:

ohfire

Reaction score
I guess I am still confused on the HUGE issue with bing. I use bing on my laptop and love it and I have no issues with it on the phone. I downloaded the google maps and I have the same nav features I had on the Droid 1 and 2. I really like the phone and would not switch back at this point. I am just waiting to see what comes down the line for it. I think it will only get better and stronger.

diverbelow

Reaction score
I guess I am still confused on the HUGE issue with bing. I use bing on my laptop and love it and I have no issues with it on the phone. I downloaded the google maps and I have the same nav features I had on the Droid 1 and 2. I really like the phone and would not switch back at this point. I am just waiting to see what comes down the line for it. I think it will only get better and stronger.

The issue with Bing on this phone with the default launcher, you cannot install Google Search via market or as a .apk package, since VZW locked it down. Now, if you install Launcher Pro, then you can install Google Search.

VZW came out and said with an update (forgot which one) that you are able to install Google Search from the market.

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
I agree, reading the reviews I was set to get an X. Luckily I spent the time instore to form my own opinions. I chose the Fascinate and I like it.

The update that will restore the google goodness is 2.2.

jrl9851

Reaction score
Coming from a guy who has owned both...

-fascinate is faster, smoother in game graphics, etc.

-fascinate has a WAY better camera

-fascinate has superior call quality and speaker volume

-fascinate has a superior screen

-fascinate looks 100x better

Yep, so basically there is nothing I like about the Droid X. And I owned an original droid (rooted and overclocked). The fascinate just destroys the X in every single way (IMO)...it's not even close.

Those reviews that bash the fascinate and bring the X into the review make it sound like they own Droid X's and are jealous that they can't get a fascinate. I don't know, that's just how some reviews make it sound.

OP
I

ibebyi

Reaction score
on the point of it looking better. i think i have a screen malfunction. ironic that im the OP. im really frustrated but oh well such is technology I suppose. but just to confirm. when you pull down the TW notification bar, is the leftmost column of pixels the same color as the rest? or is there a green line (almost looks like a border for your notifications. please lemme know thanks :)

by green line im saying that all of the pixels on the leftmost column seem to be stuck on green but only certain colored backgrounds can produce a visibly green line. when the leftmost column is lit white, i honestly cant tell if its really green or if im tricking myself into thinking its green.

sorry about the off topic post im just a bit sad :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.