Who Buys Their Kid A Smart Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
My daughter who is 13 has a smart phone (HTC Imagio) - so to answer your question - I did. Does she truly use the features of the smart phone - no. Does she surf the web on it - a bit but not much. She uses it more for facebook, texting, listening to music and calling friends & family. Can I see where it could lead to problems - yes - but as it has been indicated in this thread and others - they have more access to the internet than we did at their age whether it be in our homes, a friends house, the library, etc. We have regular discussions about what is right and what is wrong and do I expect there to be mistakes made - yeah (heck I know adults who possibly should not own a smartphone)....but if something of value is learned, it becomes a life lesson. I can safely say that my daughter understands there are consequences to wrong actions and she also understands prohibited sites on the internet. We talk quite often - the phone was a replacement to me (LOL) and she has told me both times someone she did not know wanted to add her as a friend in FB. Altho my daughter is very tech savvy, she does not delete the history in her browser - so I can review it when I wish and she knows that I would question any strange sites. I will finish my post in saying - trusting your kids and showing them responsibility can never start when they are too young...As my daughter gets older, I might have to edit my post (LOL) but I would not regret my action of allowing her a smartphone at this age.

Well done, and well said.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My daughter who is 13 has a smart phone (HTC Imagio) - so to answer your question - I did. Does she truly use the features of the smart phone - no. Does she surf the web on it - a bit but not much. She uses it more for facebook, texting, listening to music and calling friends & family. Can I see where it could lead to problems - yes - but as it has been indicated in this thread and others - they have more access to the internet than we did at their age whether it be in our homes, a friends house, the library, etc. We have regular discussions about what is right and what is wrong and do I expect there to be mistakes made - yeah (heck I know adults who possibly should not own a smartphone)....but if something of value is learned, it becomes a life lesson. I can safely say that my daughter understands there are consequences to wrong actions and she also understands prohibited sites on the internet. We talk quite often - the phone was a replacement to me (LOL) and she has told me both times someone she did not know wanted to add her as a friend in FB. Altho my daughter is very tech savvy, she does not delete the history in her browser - so I can review it when I wish and she knows that I would question any strange sites. I will finish my post in saying - trusting your kids and showing them responsibility can never start when they are too young...As my daughter gets older, I might have to edit my post (LOL) but I would not regret my action of allowing her a smartphone at this age.

I think this is an extremely intelligent and well thought out approach. You bring up some valid points.

I think back to what I would do if I was a kid and had a smart phone. I don't think I'd be that responsible, but I also know my parents would never have allowed me to have one. Financially we'd never been able to afford it.

To the poster that said "What can you not do on a smart phone that you can't do on a dumb phone?" My point isn't just not what you can do, but is it really necessary for a child to have a smart phone?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I don't have kids but if I did you can bet they would NOT get a smartphone. They don't need it.

I'd get them a simple flip phone. When they are 18 and can afford to buy a smartphone or whatever it is they want thats their choice.

Until then I'll buy them what they NEED, not want.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
TimChgo9 I don't want to put words in your mouth. Are you saying that you don't feel it's a good idea for a child to have a smart phone? That is the subject of the thread.

LOL... yeah, you're right... I tend to start writing, and ideas start flowing, and then, sometimes I lose the point I am trying to make in relation to the thread topic...Ugggh.

I don't think a kid needs a smart phone. A high schooler? Yeah, maybe, but under that age, no. Someone in high school, (specifically, Juniors and Seniors) would have a use for the scheduling, and a lot of the other apps, for anyone younger than that, it becomes a "cool toy" to show off to friends, and potentially get in trouble with. Personally, I would not give my kids a smart phone, under the age of say, 17, they have no real use for it.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
To the poster that said "What can you not do on a smart phone that you can't do on a dumb phone?" My point isn't just not what you can do, but is it really necessary for a child to have a smart phone?

No, nor is 99% of anything we do as humans "necessary", but our desire for competition and superior personal image push us toward more powerful technology. To fights this is futile because it's a very important part of the growing up and learning process these days, we are surrounded by ever evolving technology and I don't feel it's right to deprive them of access to it.

Would I just provide a child with a smartphone? No. But I might reward them with one. :)

EDIT: I think we should also mention what age range we are talking about, I think 14 is a sufficient age to carry the responsibility.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
TimChgo9 I don't want to put words in your mouth. Are you saying that you don't feel it's a good idea for a child to have a smart phone? That is the subject of the thread.

LOL... yeah, you're right... I tend to start writing, and ideas start flowing, and then, sometimes I lose the point I am trying to make in relation to the thread topic...Ugggh.

I don't think a kid needs a smart phone. A high schooler? Yeah, maybe, but under that age, no. Someone in high school, (specifically, Juniors and Seniors) would have a use for the scheduling, and a lot of the other apps, for anyone younger than that, it becomes a "cool toy" to show off to friends, and potentially get in trouble with. Personally, I would not give my kids a smart phone, under the age of say, 17, they have no real use for it.

When I was in grade school I had no real use for the introduction to computers into schools. And would you not agree that access to computers in childhood is very VERY important? The more you are exposed to tech during development the more inept you are at using it post adolescence. No?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I think this is an extremely intelligent and well thought out approach. You bring up some valid points.

I think back to what I would do if I was a kid and had a smart phone. I don't think I'd be that responsible, but I also know my parents would never have allowed me to have one. Financially we'd never been able to afford it.

To the poster that said "What can you not do on a smart phone that you can't do on a dumb phone?" My point isn't just not what you can do, but is it really necessary for a child to have a smart phone?[/QUOTE]

I laugh (please don't take offense), that you think back to if you would have had a smartphone as a kid...I really don't know that there was a smartphone then and my folks never had cell phones anyway. I got my first cell phone (it was in a bag, not portable at all LOL - wow I feel old now) when I was 23 years old - I was pregnant with my daughter (the one who has a smartphone) so that I could call for help if I got stranded on the road. My first true smartphone was not acquired until about 5 years ago...

But the real reason for my post here, I was going to answer the question on your reply to my quote - is it necessary for her to have a smartphone - NO of course not. She could access everything that she uses on the Imagio with a Razr. But the decision for her to have the phone she has was made by me - not her preference (she wanted the BB storm LOL) and I felt that it offered her more for her interests than what the LG Scoop, Razr, etc...

iMpathetic

Reaction score
My parents are usually pretty strict with regards to most things, but they let technology slide a LITTLE bit (especially my dad, they're divorced.) I paid for the vast majority of my tech stuff (Q9400 mini-itx rig, sound system, iPod) but we went half on the Droid... I paid $100 up front and I pay for my data... This might be due to the fact that I actually make my money by buying and selling computers on craigslist. Hell, I make my money by dealing with complete strangers on the Internet and in person.

Just turned 16 last week, BTW. No disrespect meant to the poster who password-protected and locked down everything his kids have access to, but I would honestly not be able to function in your house... My parents generally trust me, and I thank them by not skipping class, doing drugs, etc. I take it you don't really trust them?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know I might be a little young compared to all you others out there (lol im 20) but dont worry I dont have kids. I have 3 younger brothers and sisters who ALL have smart phones. I know I didnt get my first WinMo phone til I was close to 17 or 18 and my sister has been thru 3 blackberrys and shes only 14. My brothers just turned 18 so thats understandable I guess but my other two sisters are still under 16 and my parents let them have a smart phone - I have told them over and over again that they are wasting their money on BBs and HTCs (yea theyre smart enough not to want an iphone :icon_ banana:) and told them just to get a full keyboard phone like everyone else has (Ev2 is pretty decent IMO) but as I see their friends coming over to the house they have iphones and htcs and blackberrys. I dont understand why parents (including mine) are willing to pay the bill for the added data that you need for these phones when all they do on them is text (my 2 sisters combined had about 30K total msgs sent and received last month :eek:hmy:) but they do it anyways. I had a bold before the droid and the only thing it was good at was the email (I NEED to get my school emails to my phone) and I figure thats what they are known for as being a business phone so I guess little Susie has a big lemonade stand enterprise starting up and needs to keep in touch with all her business partners??

I know parents like kids to have phones to keep in touch and know where theyre at and give them the freedom of going "text crazy" but smartphones? really? Like smalltowngirl stated my sisters dont need the mobile browser for reasons everyone knows (parental blocks need to be used more on phones) SO why all the features (along with the price) of a smartphone when full keyboard phones do everything they need to do at that age (namely: text).

And before anyone asks, yes I am still on my parents plan. They figured itd help while I was paying for my education (and when I go home Im the one to fix the computers, cell phones, etc.).

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

No, nor is 99% of anything we do as humans "necessary", but our desire for competition and superior personal image push us toward more powerful technology. To fights this is futile because it's a very important part of the growing up and learning process these days, we are surrounded by ever evolving technology and I don't feel it's right to deprive them of access to it.

Would I just provide a child with a smartphone? No. But I might reward them with one. :)

I've talked with a couple of kids on message boards who have had Blackberry Storms. In both of those cases the kids seemed extremely intelligent and mature. And in both cases they paid for their own phones.

You have to understand, I'm so old school that I wrestle with the idea of even giving a cell phone to a kid. Cell phones didn't exist when I was a kid, and they weren't around when my brothers kids were growing up. If they had to call in they found a phone somewhere and called in.

Matter of fact my parents always gave me a dime in case I had to call in. I was not to spend that dime on candy (yes, candy was even as cheap as a nickle, I'm that old). And we had pay phones on every other corner. I know that isn't the case these days and I can understand kids perhaps needing cell phones in this day and age. But a Droid?

However I suppose it depends a great deal on the child. Even smalltowngirl13 said as her daughter gets a bit older she may have more to worry about. It's interesting to see it from another point of view.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Hey Bill, let me ask you this. You mention growing up old school and such, which is different from some of us but yet you still are on this forum, all of us owning smartphones.

So let me ask you this, do YOU NEED your droid (or smartphone), or do you just WANT it?

I fear for a lot of people (including myself) I just want it, so how does this differ from a 16yr old who wants a cool phone too? I see NO difference, do you?

Seems to me coming from you, this has less and less to do with the kid having a phone but more and more of the decisions as a parent delegating responsibility to their child, am I right?

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Bill, let me ask you this. You mention growing up old school and such, which is different from some of us but yet you still are on this forum, all of us owning smartphones.

So let me ask you this, do YOU NEED your droid (or smartphone), or do you just WANT it?

I fear for a lot of people (including myself) I just want it, so how does this differ from a 16yr old who wants a cool phone too? I see NO difference, do you?

Seems to me coming from you, this has less and less to do with the kid having a phone but more and more of the decisions as a parent delegating responsibility to their child, am I right?

No I don't need a smart phone, I wanted one. But in my mind a kid can want something an not necessarily have to have it. I wanted a car when I was 16 and I didn't get one. It didn't hurt me to walk to school.

If a kid wants a smart phone and they pay for it themselves and they are responsible enough to own it after viewing other responses I can see some point to it. I'm still not convinced but I'm a little more flexible then I was in my OP.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
My parents are usually pretty strict with regards to most things, but they let technology slide a LITTLE bit (especially my dad, they're divorced.) I paid for the vast majority of my tech stuff (Q9400 mini-itx rig, sound system, iPod) but we went half on the Droid... I paid $100 up front and I pay for my data... This might be due to the fact that I actually make my money by buying and selling computers on craigslist. Hell, I make my money by dealing with complete strangers on the Internet and in person.

Just turned 16 last week, BTW. No disrespect meant to the poster who password-protected and locked down everything his kids have access to, but I would honestly not be able to function in your house... My parents generally trust me, and I thank them by not skipping class, doing drugs, etc. I take it you don't really trust them?

Well, I run my household my way, period. I cannot fathom just letting my kids have the run of things. The inmates DO NOT run the asylum. Everything is not "locked down", I limit my kids to what they can see, watch, and take part in. I can do that, I am their father, it is my responsibility. It's no a "they can't have it" it is a "They can have it under my supervision, within the limits I set". It worked pretty good for my parents when they raised my siblings and I, and it has worked fairly well now.

I have to raise my kids and raise them well. I have to raise them with a sense of responsibility, integrity, and morality, so when they grow older they have the skills to make good decisions. I restrict according to age... My 17 year old watches "Family Guy"....That show is not appropriate for the 8 and 9 year old. My 9 year old is pretty tech savvy. He makes his own videos on the computer, he is handy with a digital camera, and knows how to do quite a bit on the internet.... therefore, because he is young, and inexperienced, he works under my supervision while online so I can guide him.... Leaving him unattended is asking for trouble.

My nine year old was arguing with me about using the internet how he wanted . He said "We live in a free country." to which I replied.... "Outside the doors of this house, and confines of this family, is a free country....Inside is a benevolent dictatorship, your freedoms are what I say they are."

It's a simple formula: Follow the rules, and gain trust, you will be fine. Break the rules or violate trust, you will be restricted.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Bill, I'd say we pretty much agree then. The fact that you are more open minded says mountains about your character. I think having both responsibility and technology helps in every way, and the positives outweigh the negatives. :)

It's a simple formula: Follow the rules, and gain trust, you will be fine. Break the rules or violate trust, you will be restricted.

I have to be honest, after reading your entire post this meant nothing, what you really described was:

"you will be restricted" And if you resist, you will be restricted even farther. Period.
I can't agree with that, but whatever works for you I guess. It really sounds like you are one hell of a power trip to me man.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Bill, I'd say we pretty much agree then. The fact that you are more open minded says mountains about your character. I think having both responsibility and technology helps in every way, and the positives outweigh the negatives. :)

I have to be honest, after reading your entire post this meant nothing, what you really described was:

"you will be restricted" And if you resist, you will be restricted even farther. Period.
I can't agree with that, but whatever works for you I guess. It really sounds like you are one hell of a power trip to me man.

I sat here and thought about this. For thirty minutes I wrote, erased, and wrote again. All I can say is this: Power trip? No. Beyond that, I am not replying. CK said keep it civil, so I shall.

Status
Not open for further replies.