Who Buys Their Kid A Smart Phone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by hookbill, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuglly

Fuglly New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i get pissed when i see people being spoiled by their parents. For me, i've earned my way through life. I'll be 18 in the summer and everything I have I've earned with my own sweat. Whether it be the 5 jobs i've heald, the Lincoln Navigator I drive, or my position playing for the Minnesota Gophers this next year, none of it has come easy... or free. It's better to earn your way through life rather then get free things (but those are good too ;) ). Working for your own things builds character, something alot of kids don't have these days.

2. DroidFan

DroidFan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to respectfully disagree. Just because a 14 or 15 y.o. kid is having sex doesn't mean their responsible enough to be having sex. They may know about condoms or birth control... they may even be responsible enough to actually USE contraception, but it doesn't mean they are old enough or mature enough to handle the intimacy or emotions involved to engage in such a physical act maturely or responsibly.

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Well, for the 16 year old who said all kids need a phone. I agree with you. Since pay phones are no longer available and every kid has one I think its fine. I don't like all the texting. But that's like how we passed notes. However if I was your parent you'd have to work on your spelling a bit to get a smart phone.:) Just to let you know, I have spelling problems too.;)

To the 17 year old you paid for your own phone and at your age I don't have an issue. Its the younger teens, 13 to 15 that I really question having a smart phone. But I suppose you can't apply the same rule to every kid. I'm glad you use your phone responsibly.

4. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Human evolution disagrees with you. Society today has established this as a taboo, and overprotective sheltering has been the cause of it. We manufacture rules to live by, and I don't think the chicken was before the egg in this instance. But this is a whole other can of beans isn't it? Lets just stick with phones. lol.

5. Fuglly

Fuglly New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my little cousin, at the age of 7, just got a, drom roll please.... Ipod touch, wii, and a hellofa lot of other toys all for christmas. Who needs to earn your way through life when you can get it all for free? I like the kid but he is gonna be mighty spoiled growing up the way he is now

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    I see a lot of this as well, very unfortunate. I had very little grown up so I'm used to working for what I want. I actually hate Christmas because it becomes a big deal in my family to buy gifts for people who already have everything they want. Such a PITA.

7. rebornlaxer

rebornlaxer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No offense or anything but if you don't trust your kids to follow your rules then its your fault that you haven't disciplined them enough.

8. Jllaugh

Jllaugh New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can understand what the OP says about unlimited, unsupervised access to the internet, but that doesn't necessarily mean kids shouldn't have smartphones. You *can* block internet access on the phone if it's that much of an issue. While this pretty much degeats much of the purpose of a smartphone, it does alleviate that one concern, while a child can still enjoy apps or other features. I don't disagree with OP, just saying internet access doesn't necessarily rule out a phone being a good or bad thing to give a child.

What would be my first thought personally would be, with as active kids are, how much ground they cover and how hard they can be on things, there's no way I would spend two hundred dollars on a phone they'll likely beat to death and costs a hundred dollars to replace with insurance. I'd probably never even get far enough in this scenario to have to worry about the phone's ability to be online.

9. Fuglly

Fuglly New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    exactly. Work for your own stuff. If you aren't willing to sweat for it, you don't deserve it.

10. Jllaugh

Jllaugh New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I'm talking about. My wife and I don't have a ton of money while I'm working and finishing my Bachelor's degree, so it feels damn good to get something after working hard and saving for it. We have nice stuff and don't use credit. I prefer the working hard and appreciating it approach over getting things handed to us any day.

11. Accomodator

Accomodator New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fuglly get off your high horse, you didn't have these things from your parents so other kids should not either ?

12. gocflamedragon

Ratings:
    +0
    Ill say that i don't really agree that kids should have these smartphones and by kids im talking under 16. Most of them really aren't tech savy enough to even understand how the phone works and their mostly just going to mess it up if they need a web enabled phone get them a multimedia phone like a dare or a env touch or some other alternative. Now on the otheir hand i might only be 17 but i belive i could have handeld this phone properly as early as 15 because im a techy and spend much of my time on the computer. I run an irc network of about 50+ active users at a time and am always keeping an eye on my dedicated box and my friends as well so i need a phone like this so if a problem arises i can fix it no mater where i am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
convince parents to get a smartphone
how to convince my parents to get me a smartphone
how to convince parents to get a smartphone
how to convince your parents to buy you a smartphone
how to convince your parents to get a smartphone
how to convince your parents to get you a smart phone

how to convince your parents to get you a smartphone

how to convince your parents to let you get a smartphone
how to convince your parents you need a smartphone